How to clear cache partition in Recovery on the Moto X Pure Edition

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
If anyone was curious, the procedure for the 2014 Moto X works for the Moto X Pure Edition.

That procedure can be found, here.

EDIT: Please see the link in post 2 for specific instructions for the Pure. Thanks UJ95x.

Last edited:

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to clear cache partition in recovery

excuse the noob question but are you clearing cache only when you have troubles or is this to help set your new phone up

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

excuse the noob question but are you clearing cache only when you have troubles or is this to help set your new phone up

I don't do it very often. I was getting some launcher redraws and then got wondering about the procedure. I tend to do it every month or two. If you're a light app user, it's not necessary at all, really. It can help if you're getting weird behavior across the system.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I don't do it very often. I was getting some launcher redraws and then got wondering about the procedure. I tend to do it every month or two. If you're a light app user, it's not necessary at all, really. It can help if you're getting weird behavior across the system.
One to two months sounds about right. A couple minutes every so often is definitely worth it to clean out your phone a bit. Frees up a good amount of storage and usually improves performance slightly as well :D

Rahul Martin

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site

With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.
You will see the word "Start" with an arrow around it. Press the Volume Down button twice to highlight "Recovery mode" Press the Power button to restart into Recovery mode.
You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark and the words "No command."
While holding down the Power button, press the Volume Up button. Use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe cache partition" and press the Power button to select it. "Reboot system now" will be highlighted, press the Power button to select it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Does this really help since Lollipop? Since a partition, it would seem it can not give any storage space back to the user (not part of storage partition). As far as cache, Android is supposed to simply write over as needed.

Not being a downer on the process, but not sure what is achieved either.

anon(556922)

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Does this really help since Lollipop? Since a partition, it would seem it can not give any storage space back to the user (not part of storage partition). As far as cache, Android is supposed to simply write over as needed.

Not being a downer on the process, but not sure what is achieved either.

In my experience it has always been helpful. Every time we've had some UI issues, clearing the cache gets the wife's and my moto x back to performing as usual.

MotoXr

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm bootloader unlocked so it's quite easy. I just boot up into recovery and use TWRP to wipe Dalvik cache. I keep up on it since I've been flashing every few days to get the phone where I want it.
You can download Clean Master which does a pretty good job. You just have to be careful not to click on all the ads within. It's loaded with them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463