My Moto X Pure Edition screen has a yellow tint to it

Ichigo91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't think all of the moto x styles have this yellow tint, because many report theirs is very white... I also don't think it's a matter to compare 2 phones side by side, you either see your screen as yellowish or you don't... from what I see there are levels of yellowish as well, but some are just pure white.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
There is no such thing as pure white as I have explained in an earlier post and any painter or photographer could tell you.

You may see a phone as yellow that others would see as pure white. Every moto I see in VZW and Tmobile look the same. There may be defective phones out there but the whitest Moto is still less blue than edge 6 plus.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
My Moto X Pure Edition also has this yellow tint. In fact, I believe they all do. I've been to different best buy stores, and they all look quite similar. For those claiming their screens are definitely "white," please put your phone side by side with an iPhone 6 Plus at some point and upload a picture. However, the yellow tint on the Moto X Pure Edition is still better than on my Note 4. No matter the settings on the Note 4, the screen is always yellower and darker than on the Moto X Pure Edition.

So here are my questions: Everyone claims the Note 4 has the second best screen on the market (after the Note 5), why are white colors yellowish? Is this how white is meant to be reproduced, and is the iPhone's white color reproduction done incorrectly? I definitely prefer that bright white color reproduction without any tint, over yellow white. I bought into the Moto X in large part due to the LCD (and vanilla android). I believed the AMOLED on my Note 4 was responsible for yellowish whites. I thought this Moto X would have "real" whites, hence why I found this thread. I'm 80% on returning it to Moto now.

Moreover: If this is due to a choice by Moto, can we change it with root? Is this a calibration choice? If not, what is a current Android phone with white colors on par with iPhone?

To answer your question, yes, iPhones do not display whites "correctly", at least according to the sRGB standard. Color temperature is a calibration choice and has no correlation with the quality of a screen. Motorola have chosen a color temperature that closely matches the sRGB standard used by most professional designers, photographers, and content producers. The sRGB standard attempts to reproduce the look of white paper lit by sunlight. Sunlight produces a warm light, so that's why screens that are strictly calibrated to this standard will appear somewhat warm. Apple calibrates their screens to tint everything slightly blue (a cool color temperature), which in turn makes whites look whiter. To the human brain, adding a blue tint to white makes it look even whiter, even though it's technically less white. In the end, it comes down to preference. Some people prefer screens with a warm color calibration and others prefer a cool color calibration.

If you want a screen with cool whites that are similar to the iPhone, you should look into the Nexus 5, OnePlus 2, Xperia Z line, and HTC One line.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It's just a shame we can't re-calibrate them to our own taste as you can with many tv's.

My favorite white at the moment is the s6 edge plus. iPhone is too cool. Moto is too warm (even my old ones) S6e+ just right. The Note 5 looks a little warmer to me than the s6e+ but maybe that varies with unit. My Note 3 is a little to warm for me but not enough to shell out a grand for the s6e+!

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Moto.jpgI'm going to resurrect this post to add my 2 cents and maybe get advice.

I received my Moto X Pure today. First thing I did was charge it up, screen looked fine, then I updated to Marshmallow, screen looked fine, installed my ATT SIM, screen looked fine, installed an Otterbox Defender case and noticed the screen had changed. It looked like the left phone in the pic above. In the pic above the yellow is more on the left. Mine was the exact same way but more pronounced.

I immediately thought maybe the Otterbox screen shield was discolored, uninstalled it and the yellow was still there. I decided to turn off the phone and restart it, was back to whitey white! And has been fine the rest of the day. Any input would greatly be appreciated. Not sure if I should try it for few days and see what happens or go ahead and try to get a replacement?

Last edited:

MarkSBaines

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
My first Moto X Style was yellow out of the box, just like the photo on the left above. I hated it and couldn't live with it. Moto Customer Service in UK was very good and patient. The best solution was to ask for a refund and order a new one straight away. This was far quicker as a replacement could take some time. Also it was explained to me that if I took a replacement and the screen was yellow again, then I couldn't refund a replacement phone.
Second phone is perfect and looks like the one on the right above. Side by side, it was like night and day. I'm so glad I took this route.

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
So far so good, after I restarted it that day I got it, it went back to white and has stayed that way. Really weird. I am going to send Motorola an email concerning the issue and see if I get a response.

LinkEngelberg

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Moto Pure for about 7 months now and my screen has typically been fine with bright whites and fairly vivid colors. Today I noticed it was very yellow on the left edge an slowly faded to an off white on the right edge. I looked this issue up and was reading earlier posts. Because restarting the phone has fixed some other quirks, I powered it down and then back up. The screen seem to be back to normal with the bright whites I like and all colors as I remember them. Rebooting seems to correct the issue but I'm not a tech guy.

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
So far so good, after I restarted it that day I got it, it went back to white and has stayed that way. Really weird. I am going to send Motorola an email concerning the issue and see if I get a response.

Mine is still doing good as of today! Hopefully it was just a glitch.

Jack_B99

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
My Moto X (pure edition) screen is very nice running Android 6.0. There are 3 settings which control the display, all can be found grouped together on the settings menu under Device/Display. They are: Brightness level, Adaptive brightness and Color mode. Try playing with these settings to get the color warmth you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995