What do you NOT like about YOUR Moto X Pure Edition?

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about the Moto X Pure Edition?

At a minimum, it is an absolute waste of power. Instead of turning on one or two leds, let's turn on several MILLION of them! ;) Obviously more power draw with a notification LED than one on a display, but an itty-bitty-teeny-tiny minuscule fraction of an entire display. Seems nuts, but JMO.

I dont see the big deal that little blink means nothing to a battery,those LED lights will use more because they keep blinking until you address them on the moto x if your in a meeting and it blinks you just wave your hand and it stops blinking with turning your phone on like you have to with the pretty color ones

editorkid

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

People in this thread are taking the LED thing so seriously I can't tell if it's a joke or not.
And like Ry said, this isn't new. It's the third Moto with no LED. Third!
And like bimbert84 said, I also wasn't aware of that because I wasn't in the market for phones then. I've been happy with the Nexus phones. And since the display type changed from the other two, Motorola should have kept thinking it through.

I respect that a notofication LED isn't a checklist item for you, but why does it bother you that it is for some of us? It's a simple feature to add with minimal effect on battery life and end cost that greatly improves the quality of the phone for a lot of users. People who don't want to use it can really easily disable it. Why is this bothering you?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I dont see the big deal that little blink means nothing to a battery,those LED lights will use more because they keep blinking until you address them on the moto x if your in a meeting and it blinks you just wave your hand and it stops blinking with turning your phone on like you have to with the pretty color ones

If you are not battery life sensitive, I agree 100%. I am running tests to see how battery life pans out with all the bling (IMO) off or on. Initial reports from a few XDA users are it is noticeably better with the stuff off and my very early findings suggest the same. Way too early to see how much it really is though.

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Of course it will save battery with it off. My point was the color LEDs that have to manually acknowledge probably use more battery than just waving your hand.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

editorkid

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

That is absolutely wrong. Yes, if you wave your hand over it, it will wake up............but the screen automatically displays notifications as they come in, and will continue to "breathe" (illuminate the notifications at an interval) automatically until you check the notification. No action is necessary on your part, aside from looking at the screen.
This is not my experience. The LED on my Nexus 5 on wifi is blinking away like it's at a rave and my Moto X Pure's screen has been black since I sat down 20 minutes ago.

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

You missed my point... If someone is responding to what triggered the notification, that's disruptive. If you're in a meeting and don't intend to use your phone, what difference does it make if you have a notification light blinking or not?

No, I got it. But quietly looking at my phone below the surface of the conference table doesn't disrupt anyone. It's no different than looking up references or taking notes, and everyone else can continue the meeting conversation uninterrupted.

A sound, on the other hand, immediately draws everyone's attention (eyes and ears) to the sound, and it brings the meeting conversation to a halt. Maybe that lasts for only a second or two, but it's still disruptive. If it happens once, most people will consider it an oversight. But failing to silence the phone and letting it happen again is both unprofessional and rude.

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

No, I got it. But quietly looking at my phone below the surface of the conference table doesn't disrupt anyone. It's no different than looking up references or taking notes, and everyone else can continue the meeting conversation uninterrupted.

A sound, on the other hand, immediately draws everyone's attention (eyes and ears) to the sound, and it brings the meeting conversation to a halt. Maybe that lasts for only a second or two, but it's still disruptive. If it happens once, most people will consider it an oversight. But failing to silence the phone and letting it happen again is both unprofessional and rude.

We get the sound being a problem in a meeting and the reason I brought that up to start with is because you started out sitting in your living room with phone across the room. Thats why i mentioned sound notifications .

You can have both, when in the meeting you silence your phone (as you should) and then you would have a nice quiet dim screen notification with a slight gesture goes away.

When at home you would have sound notifications

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Of course it will save battery with it off. My point was the color LEDs that have to manually acknowledge probably use more battery than just waving your hand.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I think the comparison is between flashing a notification LED or lighting the screen. I think it's safe to say the LED will draw significantly less power than lighting up the entire screen (even if most of the pixels are black).

If the screen is NOT lit in some persistent or periodic way, then it's not providing a notification at all, and we're back to having to "check your messages."

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

I think the comparison is between flashing a notification LED or lighting the screen. I think it's safe to say the LED will draw significantly less power than lighting up the entire screen (even if most of the pixels are black).

If the screen is NOT lit in some persistent or periodic way, then it's not providing a notification at all, and we're back to having to "check your messages."

You missed my point , If you have hour long meeting and that LED flashs for a hour its going to take up more battery then one flash of screen that you dismiss with a wave of the hand

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

We get the sound being a problem in a meeting and the reason I brought that up to start with is because you started out sitting in your living room with phone across the room. Thats why i mentioned sound notifications .

You can have both, when in the meeting you silence your phone (as you should) and then you would have a nice quiet dim screen notification with a slight gesture goes away.

When at home you would have sound notifications

Agreed. I acknowledged that from the beginning when I said sounds might work when I'm home, but not during a meeting.

In any event, now I have to change the way I do things, and I have to remember to silence and unsilence sounds depending on what I'm doing. That's an extra hassle I have to worry about so I can have a feature I don't need. In other words, it sacrifices simplicity for style.

The LED is simple and works effectively in all situations. Why take it away?

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

You missed my point , If you have hour long meeting and that LED flashs for a hour its going to take up more battery then one flash of screen that you dismiss with a wave of the hand

You're playing on an unlevel field.

If I'm close enough to wave my hand, I'm close enough to dismiss the LED. If I'm not close enough, both would flash for an hour.

In either case, the screen will draw more power than the LED.

Rakeshkotla

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about this phone?

I have been using my moto x 2nd gen from last year , such a beautiful phone it is. Suddenly I fell in love with Android just because of this device. However this third gen device has lage screen which is the only thing I hate about it. 5.2 inch is far better and they should make it default. If you keep moto x 2nd gen next to I phone 6 then you feel the difference in size, some times I always wonder how they made it so compcat even it is 5.2 inch.

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

They didnt take it away the Moto X never had it

If I'm close enough to wave my hand, I'm close enough to dismiss the LED. If I'm not close enough, both would flash for an hour.
You have to turn phone on to dismiss the LED dont you ?

You have to silence your phone any way for meetings , so not much difference

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Agreed. I acknowledged that from the beginning when I said sounds might work when I'm home, but not during a meeting.

In any event, now I have to change the way I do things, and I have to remember to silence and unsilence sounds depending on what I'm doing. That's an extra hassle I have to worry about so I can have a feature I don't need. In other words, it sacrifices simplicity for style.

I definitely agree with you, I like the notification light, hopefully the "breathing" (I liked that analogy) feature will be enough to make up for no light for me. I'm debating between the XPE and note 5, and while the notification light alone won't be enough to sway me, it is a plus in the note 5 column

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I think that promise is presumptuous. Different people prefer different things. I happen to prefer substance over style, and would NEVER be willing to sacrifice simplicity or battery life for the sake of a flashy "new" feature.

Now I think a useful, best-of-both-worlds combination would be to have the LED provide the notification, and then have a hand wave provide more detail on the screen. I can see zero drawback to providing this as an option, and prior to this thread, that's how I thought it actually DID work.

I completely understand how folks miss LED notifications at first, but a lot of these same concerns were voiced back when the 2013 Moto X came out, so there's nothing new at all being said here. Moto nerds like myself adapted and fell in love with Moto Display, truly thinking it's one of the best features of a Moto X. But of course I'm well aware that doesn't mean it's right for everybody, and a Moto X may not be the best choice for you. After all, I work in an office filled with what seems like a sea of iPhones so I'm used to being the only one who thinks Android is superior - let alone Motorola. If I had a nickel for every time someone said to me "Is that the latest Samsung?" I could retire right about now.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

I completely understand how folks miss LED notifications at first, but a lot of these same concerns were voiced back when the 2013 Moto X came out, so there's nothing new at all being said here. Moto nerds like myself adapted and fell in love with Moto Display, truly thinking it's one of the best features of a Moto X. But of course I'm well aware that doesn't mean it's right for everybody, and a Moto X may not be the best choice for you. After all, I work in an office filled with what seems like a sea of iPhones so I'm used to being the only one who thinks Android is superior - let alone Motorola. If I had a nickel for every time someone said to me "Is that the latest Samsung?" I could retire right about now.
Haha I 100% agree with you. I had a galaxy s6 for a few months and loathed the led light after using a 1st gen moto X until then. Now I'm back with the Moto X and couldn't be happier. Imo the Moto display is so much more elegant than the led light, and I felt the light was hyper and obnoxious in how often it kept blinking. I hope some people with doubts in this thread at least give the Moto display a chance before denouncing it, because it may just win you over! And so far after a little over a week with this baby the Moto display on an lcd doesn't seem to waste any battery. Love my Moto X

Sent from my XT1575

Rogue Tomato

Banned
Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

You missed my point... If someone is responding to what triggered the notification, that's disruptive. If you're in a meeting and don't intend to use your phone, what difference does it make if you have a notification light blinking or not?

It tells me something, a potentially important something, needs my attention after the meeting. That's useful to me. I'm a "out of sight, out of mind" kind of person. I don't check my phone often. So if I don't get a notification, I won't bother to check my phone after the meeting.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

This is not my experience. The LED on my Nexus 5 on wifi is blinking away like it's at a rave and my Moto X Pure's screen has been black since I sat down 20 minutes ago.

Nah, it works no problem. Been using it since I got the phone. Way better than ambient display on My N6.....or the LED on my M7, or my Gnex, or my Droid2, or my OG Droid, or my blackberry or...... Well, you get the picture.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz