11-07-2016 04:38 AM
619 ... 1415161718 ...
tools
    Let me preface this with the comment that I love this phone. That being said, here is my list of things I don't like:

1. The way the sound ramps up on rings and notifications drives me nuts. I finally found an app that fixes the problem, but it annoys me that I have to run the app continously to get rid of the volume ramp up. (Motorola claims it is a safety feature and so will not provide an option to disable the volume ramp-up.)
    2. I didn't like the original keyboard, so I replaced it with Swiftkey.
    3. I came from a HTC phone and the sound quality was much better on it, both over speakers and headphones. I use PowerAmp for music and the equalizer in it helps if I'm listening to music on the phone.
    4. I hated the default Google Now Launcher that came on the phone. I switched to Apex Launcher and I'm much happier with it. I noticed a lot of other people were indicating that they had switched to Nova Launcher.
    5. I wish Motorola had supplied a quick charge 2.0 car charger instead of the awful hard plastic case bumper that came with the phone.
    DarrenCarnall likes this.
    10-04-2015 08:33 PM
    So is it used + free doesn't match used + free on the Note 5?

Posted via the Android Central App
    Out of box the 64gb Note 5 has 52GB vs 48GB on the Pure. You would expect the opposite if anything.
    JavaNoire likes this.
    10-04-2015 08:47 PM
    Out of box the 64gb Note 5 has 52GB vs 48GB on the Pure. You would expect the opposite if anything.
    ..not really answering the question.

10-04-2015 08:54 PM
    I'm coming from a 2013 Moto X (personal) and Galaxy S6 (work)

My rubber back is actually quite smooth and slippery to me. I don't feel comfortable going without a case on this. For now I'm just using the stock bumper.

The IPS display looks great, but I do prefer AMOLED. It pains me to see the entire screen light up at night when my active notifications go on. Of couse during the day I can't see this, but I know it's there and doing it. I wouldn't care so much if I was able to get a whole day on this. It's still too early for me to make a final judgement on battery, but for now I'm skeptical about getting a full day on it. I have to confess that I do play a lot of Clash, but still not getting a lot of OST (2.5 hrs). For some reason Google Play Services has been the top user of my battery. Perhaps this is related to playing Clash -- switching between multiple accounts.

The earpiece volume on max is too low. I can't hear when I'm out and about where there is a lot of external noise. This isn't a problem with my 2013 Moto X or the S5.

Camera is much improved, but the Nexus 6P camera is giving me cause to seriously consider changing to that one -- picture quality is very important to me.

I'm still getting used to the top heavy weighting on this phone.

Otherwise I really like this phone, but may switch to the Nexus 6p for AMOLED and Camera. I will miss the moto active notifications and gestures.
    Have no fear, Ambient Display on the Nexus 6p should act very similarly to moto display! Apparently you are able to wave your hand over the sensor to wake it.
    truenoob likes this.
    10-05-2015 07:10 PM

In what way? Like economics, the truth is in the margins. The Pure has 4GB less storage free to the user.
    JavaNoire likes this.
    10-05-2015 07:35 PM
    after 2 weeks with it, the only thing i dislike is this is the slipperyest phone ive ever owned
    10-05-2015 07:39 PM
    Yes, he didn't answer it directly, but his point is well made. Why would a carrier bloated Note 5 be using LESS of the 64gb out of the box versus the 64 GB MXPE out of the box when the latter is supposed to be vanilla with very few UI customizations?

Is it your point that the Moto's unique features need that additional 4GB to operate?
    JavaNoire likes this.
    10-05-2015 07:41 PM
    Yes, he didn't answer it directly, but his point is well made. Why would a carrier bloated Note 5 be using LESS of the 64gb out of the box versus the 64 GB MXPE out of the box when the latter is supposed to be vanilla with very few UI customizations?

Is it your point that the Moto's unique features need that additional 4GB to operate?
    I'm just looking for clarification. The way people are wording it, 4GB is "missing". Is it missing? Is it being used by something? Is the Moto X Pure Edition partitioned differently?
    10-05-2015 07:49 PM

This.
    JavaNoire likes this.
    10-05-2015 09:42 PM
    I'm just looking for clarification. The way people are wording it, 4GB is "missing". Is it missing? Is it being used by something? Is the Moto X Pure Edition partitioned differently?
    It would seem it is partitioned differently, but why? Surely the Moto firmware does not need 4GB more than any other current device. Kind of demeans part of the premise of bloat free.
    JavaNoire likes this.
    10-05-2015 09:46 PM
    It would seem it is partitioned differently, but why? Surely the Moto firmware does not need 4GB more than any other current device. Kind of demeans part of the premise of bloat free.
    You still don't have unnecessary apps running in the background and apps you likely won't use when compared to the Note 5.

Not exactly seeing the big deal.

My question still never got answered.

Is there a 32GB that was compared too?
    10-05-2015 10:04 PM
    You still don't have unnecessary apps running in the background and apps you likely won't use when compared to the Note 5.

Not exactly seeing the big deal.

My question still never got answered.

Is there a 32GB that was compared too?
    64GB to 64GB. The 32GB versions are close to same size.
    10-05-2015 11:14 PM
    I don't like that the splash screen was not updated.
    10-06-2015 05:43 AM
    I don't like that the splash screen was not updated.
    This
    Ry likes this.
    10-06-2015 09:36 AM
    That splash screen is mega white overkill. For some, mega yellow.
    10-06-2015 06:03 PM
    Backside is warm almost all the time.

YouTube vids dont play at 60fps =\ My original Moto X is able to do 720p60. However, I dont see any 720p60 or 1080p60 options at all. Sucks..but they'll fix it right?
    10-07-2015 03:08 AM
    In what way? Like economics, the truth is in the margins. The Pure has 4GB less storage free to the user.
    Yeah but on your not 5 can u add a sd card to give you all the extra storage you want?

10-07-2015 08:45 AM
    So is it used + free on the Moto X Pure Edition doesn't match used + free on the Note 5?
    10-07-2015 12:46 PM
    So is it used + free on the Moto X Pure Edition doesn't match used + free on the Note 5?
    When you take a 64gb Note 5 out of box, it has four GB more free storage for the user to put apps or media in that the Pure "64"GB does.

The Pure for whatever reason has 4GB less storage to put stuff in.
    JavaNoire likes this.
    10-07-2015 05:18 PM
    When you take a 64gb Note 5 out of box, it has four GB more free storage for the user to put apps or media in that the Pure "64"GB does.

The Pure for whatever reason has 4GB less storage to put stuff in.
    I get that.

But again that's not what I'm asking.

Out of the box, does used + free space on the Moto X Pure Edition match used + free space on the Note 5?
    10-07-2015 06:14 PM
    I get that.

But again that's not what I'm asking.

Out of the box, does used + free space on the Moto X Pure Edition match used + free space on the Note 5?
    Nope, hence the allocation issue. Moto has less storage out of the gate that is available to the device.
    10-07-2015 10:06 PM
    Nope
    ...was that so hard? :/
    10-07-2015 11:16 PM
    After a full week with the phone, my main issue is the micro-lag or framerate drops when scrolling through some apps. I don't have a lot of 3rd party apps installed either. The biggest problem apps for me:
    1) Call history log in default Phone App
    2) Google Messenger - Messages list
    3) Transition from Home Screen to Google Now

It's not lag in the sense that it takes longer to accomplish a task but it has a slight jerky feel to it sometimes which I think is framerate drops.

Maybe the 2k screen is too much for the GPU?
    10-08-2015 12:54 PM
    ...was that so hard? :/
    Nope
    10-08-2015 02:14 PM
    I do not like the fact that the bluetooth has to re-pair with my car every time i get in or out of it instead of just connecting after pairing the initial time. I have read of others having trouble with the bluetooth on this phone also.......
    10-08-2015 04:39 PM
619 ... 1415161718 ...