11-07-2016 04:38 AM
619 ... 2021222324 ...
tools
    Migrate from iPhone supposedly asks for icloud user ID and password, never got that far. No apps or games bought on Google ecosystem.

But my concern for Google Play Music (and to some extent the rest of Lollipop) is more with human machine interface - my area of experience for the last 30 years. Material Design is not bad and is quite simple to understand and to program but the basic functionality needs to be better and/or more obvious.

There are some - I wouldn't say glaring but at least obvious - functionality gaps that are in Pure. Those are rectified easily with third party apps but it detracts a bit from the overall experience.
    11-21-2015 05:35 PM
    There's nothing I don't like about it and a lot that I love. Coming from a Nexus 5 (original) running Marshmallow to this has been no backward step. I love the screen (especially ambient mode notifications) and actually love the battery life. I was constantly looking for a charge point with the Nexus, the Moto can get me through most of my day without breaking sweat.
    Laura Knotek and dmark44 like this.
    12-01-2015 04:08 AM
    First post to this forum and welcome everyone. I bought a Motorola X Pure for my college daughter after her aging iPhone 5 had a liquid experience . She kind of hates it being an Apple fangirl (Dad can I load apps on Android?) but she has warmed up to it. So I bought one for myself after my arthritic fingers and cataract eyes protested the 4" screen of my equally aging iPhone 5.

First two weeks - lots of getting used to it. The Migrate app does not work. Had to re-buy several apps (including a $8 backgammon app). I'm no stranger to Android or Lollipop as I am an embedded software developer and write code for car radios that deal with phones... Also have a Dell Venue 8 7000 Lollipop tablet.

What I don't like - size is an issue but even 5" is not much smaller. Micro USB is nowhere near Lightning. I wish USB Type C... Battery life is OK but with the insane charger not an issue. Pure Lollipop? Well, its too Pure for my taste so I have swapped out some apps for replacements. Texting is an issue, I tried every app and settled on Handcent only to run into MMS pic size issues. And phone gets warm - load GSam battery monitor to see how hot, maybe 105F to 110F if I charge and play Angry Birds at the same time. Stock media player is - for lack of a better word - unfriendly. Camera is good once you figure out what to do.

Build quality is very good, definitely flagship level. Display is extremely good, audio quality excellent with the right headphones, speed is a non issue (no slowdowns on, say, Angry Birds 2). Most issues I have are minor to trivial and are Lollipop specific.

Value wise it is exceptional. I'll be picking another for my younger kid as a graduation gift.
    I would suggest Textra as a good texting app! I use it currently on my S3 and plan on continuing to do so on my Moto XPE. Lots of customization and setting control and usually works flawlessly
    12-01-2015 08:55 AM
    Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it and loved the features but the editor box capability is lacking. I often send long texts to my kids or team mates and need good capabilities there.

If someone added arrow keys to the Google keyboard...
    12-01-2015 06:45 PM
    The after-sale service is bad. The screen is borken and the phone is totally not usable after I dropped it on the street. Now I have been 4 weeks phoneless since I sent it to the repair center of Moto -- by the way, I paid for the repair service. That's longer than they made my customized phone and delivered it from China. Anyways, hope I can get my phone in the 5th week.
    12-02-2015 04:00 AM
    Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it and loved the features but the editor box capability is lacking. I often send long texts to my kids or team mates and need good capabilities there.

If someone added arrow keys to the Google keyboard...
    Give the SwiftKey keyboard a look. It let's you add arrow keys, number row, etc.
    12-02-2015 08:42 AM
    Just did, arrow keys yum!!

Thank you for the suggestion.
    Sean Cogan likes this.
    12-02-2015 08:57 AM
    Another option which I needed because of typing foreign languages is Multiling keyboard. Updating dictionaries in other languages is a pain but useful. Glad to see Android gives us those options...
    12-09-2015 09:19 PM
    The inconsistent camera! Don't get me wrong, I think the pure camera is very much improved over past Moto devices. It takes good photos and the color accuracy is terrific even compared to the g4 and s6. However the pictures are just not as crisp, IMO although you can zoom in on photos more than with the g4 or s6. It also lacks 60fps video support. .
    12-12-2015 05:57 PM
    Mirrorcast performance is awful to the point of no pint in using.
    12-12-2015 09:28 PM
    Mirrorcast performance is awful to the point of no pint in using.
    I haven't had any issues with cast..

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-12-2015 11:49 PM
    The battery life could be better, but I generally like it quite a lot.

Todd
    dmark44 likes this.
    12-13-2015 11:23 AM
    The screen matrix doesn't line up with where I touch. Never seen anything like it, it's not consistently off in one direction, but randomly off in any direction ... Tech Support had me on Chat to reset and tweak the phone for 90 minutes, but to no remedy.
    I also noticed the glass rises above the edges, so if someone with fatty fingers grabs the phone to take a picture, the screen will freeze, lock or jump into a previous screen ... therfore, the touch sensitivity runs right up to the very edge of the glass ... I've noticed the palm of my hand (thumb side) will sometimes touch the glass when Typing, Swyping, Slyding and screw with the spelling of words, therfore I've got to change my grip which makes for an uneasy feeling that the phone isn't secure in my hand and I'll drop it. Seeing his way easy it is to break the glass ... I err on the side of safety, stop working and readjust to fit the phone ... this is very unproductive and NOT a benefit in any way.

The pictures are OK ... but my old Note Edge was better, which is kinda sad.

I got a replacement from Motorola - and my issues are exactly the same.

What I will say that seems to be different than many posts on this and other forums - is that my experience with Moto Tech and Customer Support is very good! They are refunding my money and have offered a discount to any of their other phones as a replacement.

I had a good experience with the Note Edge, so I'm going back to Samsung, probably the Note 5. After using a co-workers OnePlus X ... I'd be all over that phone but only if I lived in an area that has good AT&T service, but Verizon owns most of the areas I travel and all the major highways so my choices are limited.

My two cents.
    12-13-2015 12:18 PM
    The inconsistent camera! Don't get me wrong, I think the pure camera is very much improved over past Moto devices. It takes good photos and the color accuracy is terrific even compared to the g4 and s6. However the pictures are just not as crisp, IMO although you can zoom in on photos more than with the g4 or s6. It also lacks 60fps video support. .
    Have you tried using the volume down button as a shutter button to see if there's any improvement in the results? (May help keep the device steadier.)
    sulla1965 likes this.
    12-13-2015 03:35 PM
    The biggest thing I don't like so far is that I can't figure out why my screen timeout keeps changing to 30 seconds.

I blamed Attentive Display, but I turned that off and the setting still changes pretty frequently.
    12-13-2015 03:37 PM
    Don't like that speakerphone is ONLY from the bottom speaker. The top one is dead..
    12-13-2015 08:17 PM
    Have you tried using the volume down button as a shutter button to see if there's any improvement in the results? (May help keep the device steadier.)
    Had the same problem, 95% resolved by putting otterbox defender on the phone. The extra grippiness of the rubber base and extra weight help keep the phone very still when taking pics leading to noticeably sharper pics.
    dmark44 likes this.
    12-13-2015 08:19 PM
    The screen matrix doesn't line up with where I touch. Never seen anything like it, it's not consistently off in one direction, but randomly off in any direction ... Tech Support had me on Chat to reset and tweak the phone for 90 minutes, but to no remedy.
    I also noticed the glass rises above the edges, so if someone with fatty fingers grabs the phone to take a picture, the screen will freeze, lock or jump into a previous screen ... therfore, the touch sensitivity runs right up to the very edge of the glass ... I've noticed the palm of my hand (thumb side) will sometimes touch the glass when Typing, Swyping, Slyding and screw with the spelling of words, therfore I've got to change my grip which makes for an uneasy feeling that the phone isn't secure in my hand and I'll drop it. Seeing his way easy it is to break the glass ... I err on the side of safety, stop working and readjust to fit the phone ... this is very unproductive and NOT a benefit in any way.

The pictures are OK ... but my old Note Edge was better, which is kinda sad.

I got a replacement from Motorola - and my issues are exactly the same.

What I will say that seems to be different than many posts on this and other forums - is that my experience with Moto Tech and Customer Support is very good! They are refunding my money and have offered a discount to any of their other phones as a replacement.

I had a good experience with the Note Edge, so I'm going back to Samsung, probably the Note 5. After using a co-workers OnePlus X ... I'd be all over that phone but only if I lived in an area that has good AT&T service, but Verizon owns most of the areas I travel and all the major highways so my choices are limited.

My two cents.
    100% agree with you. The bezels are so narrow that my hands constantly accidentally hit things. Also, taking pictures was a disaster. Got an ottterbox case on it and even though it's ugly it has a very high rim over the screen which completely stops this accidental clicking of things. Also makes pictures much sharper because I can actually grip the phone firmly when taking them, holding it perfectly still without accidentally triggering the touch screen.
    12-13-2015 08:21 PM
    Inconsistent performance. Sometimes the moto assist features work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the double hatchet chop to turn the flashlight on works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the "tubo charge" indicator appears when I plug it in, sometimes it doesn't. These are all minor issues but the cumulative effect is ANNOYING.

The price is right for the phone (I got a 32 gb one on CL for $300, so I really can't complain) but after a while the thrill of saving money diminishes and the regret for missing features grows. I miss a fingerprint scanner. The camera in indoor low light is a catastrophe. If you are going to a party at night don't even bother. The bluetooth does not seem to hold a strong connection.

The speaker makes a ridiculously crackling "pop" whenever it turns on for a notification and then again when the notification is complete. I can't stand this and paid Motorola $25 for an advanced exchange to replace the phone which leads me to the 3rd point:

Motorola customer support is a nightmare. I was happy to abandon iOS in favor of Android and do find the latter more exciting, but I miss Apple customer service. I would seriously hesitate before buying another motorola phone for this reason alone.
    Shimon Mor and kalytn like this.
    12-14-2015 10:30 AM
    Inconsistent performance. Sometimes the moto assist features work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the double hatchet chop to turn the flashlight on works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the "tubo charge" indicator appears when I plug it in, sometimes it doesn't. These are all minor issues but the cumulative effect is ANNOYING.
    This is one of the most honest reviews I've seen on here. No one thing is a huge flaw, but all added up it's a big disappointment.
    kalytn likes this.
    12-14-2015 10:43 AM
    I can't comment on moto assist as I don't use it.
    The double hatchet works fine, once you find the right way. I had to use it a lot in the past few days as I was outdoors and I must say it worked almost at 100%. And this coming from me that I almost never found the right way. It's a bit difficult (not like the camera) at first I had almost zero success and now I use it just fine. Some practice and you'll be OK.
    Haven't seen the turbo charge problem, but sometimes although I get the "turbo charge" indicator the charge is inconsistent. It could be the plug though, I can't blame the phone.

The speaker pop is the biggest issue for me, my biggest problem with the phone. There is a topic over Motorola forums and they say that the problem is somewhat solved with MM, but I'm not sure if this is true as I'm still on Android L. In general the speakers seem to have some issues.
    I don't take many low-light photos, but I'm satisfied with the camera.

One thing that annoys me a lot is the Power Saver mode. It cripples the phone. Haven't seen many people complaining. In my case Power Saver mode makes the phone very slow, barely usable. I only use it if I'm very low and have to keep the phone alive for some time. It's not the same experience I had with my HTC One, where power saver was both customizable and had very little effect on performance.

However I don't agree with the price being right and with the "big disappointment" assessment. Similar issues like these are found in almost every phone. They are not symptoms of a cheap phone. You could browse at every phone forum and find minor issues or bugs like these.
    For people in the US the phone is a perfect choice both performance and price-wise.
    In other parts of the world there are comparable options, but I don't regret getting it.
    12-14-2015 11:08 AM
    I haven't had any issues with cast..

Odd, since I have no issues with other devices either, except with the MXPE.
    12-14-2015 11:41 AM
    I can't comment on moto assist as I don't use it.
    The double hatchet works fine, once you find the right way. I had to use it a lot in the past few days as I was outdoors and I must say it worked almost at 100%. And this coming from me that I almost never found the right way. It's a bit difficult (not like the camera) at first I had almost zero success and now I use it just fine. Some practice and you'll be OK.
    Haven't seen the turbo charge problem, but sometimes although I get the "turbo charge" indicator the charge is inconsistent. It could be the plug though, I can't blame the phone.

The speaker pop is the biggest issue for me, my biggest problem with the phone. There is a topic over Motorola forums and they say that the problem is somewhat solved with MM, but I'm not sure if this is true as I'm still on Android L. In general the speakers seem to have some issues.
    I don't take many low-light photos, but I'm satisfied with the camera.

One thing that annoys me a lot is the Power Saver mode. It cripples the phone. Haven't seen many people complaining. In my case Power Saver mode makes the phone very slow, barely usable. I only use it if I'm very low and have to keep the phone alive for some time. It's not the same experience I had with my HTC One, where power saver was both customizable and had very little effect on performance.

However I don't agree with the price being right and with the "big disappointment" assessment. Similar issues like these are found in almost every phone. They are not symptoms of a cheap phone. You could browse at every phone forum and find minor issues or bugs like these.
    For people in the US the phone is a perfect choice both performance and price-wise.
    In other parts of the world there are comparable options, but I don't regret getting it.
    I don't regret it either, I really like the phone, especially the fit and finish are beautiful...sometimes I just sit and admire the aesthetic beautify of the slope where the top meets the silicon material on the back....but this is a thread about things we don't like...something else, for a phone that has such a high quality feel, the buttons on the side are pretty cheap feeling and have sharp edges. One of the reasons that I use a case is that it is provides a bit more resistance to those power button and volume rockers. Motorola is supposed to send me a replacement due to the speaker issues...when they do I will probably try to unload it and try out the nexus 6p if the price goes down a little bit. That seems like a superior phone in almost every way--except for the lack of sd card slot (and apparently there is no stabilization for video recording). I am very appreciative for the sd card slot on the moto xpe but wish I didn't have to remove the sim card every time I want to access it.
    12-14-2015 12:55 PM
    I'm a software developer for embedded stuff - car radios - and my take on Lollipop is that it looks suspiciously like a reference platform.

Granted, a lot of it is software. The amount of inconsistent behaviors in Lollipop is lower than any previous version but is still light years behind Apple. I carried an iPhone for 3+ years and various Droids for work...

Don't get me wrong, I like the mxpe but I like it in the sense that it has killer hardware at a killer price. If Apple sold a 6s+ for $399 we would not be having this conversation.

Ironically, the reverse is true in apps. I can name a bunch of apps I use for which the Android version is awesome and the Apple port is a disaster. So its not all good or all bad.
    12-14-2015 07:12 PM
    The price is right for the phone (I got a 32 gb one on CL for $300
    What's "CL" stands for? do you please have a link to the 32 gb for $300? I know someone that will be very interested in this deal.

Update :CL = craigslist

12-15-2015 02:19 PM
619 ... 2021222324 ...