11-07-2016 05:38 AM
619 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Because sounds are disruptive to others. This might work when I'm by myself, but it wouldn't work in a meeting, for example. Seriously, an LED is a simple solution that works incredibly well. I'm not suggesting they eliminate the Moto Display, but why not allow both? The LED lights up, which tells me I'll find something if I wave my hand.
    Also, the screen, sounds, and vibration don't notify you unless your phone is in hand or next to you anyway. An LED can notify you from a good distance. It's a persistent warning that something changed.

I hope the AC editor team is noticing these comments so they can bother to tell us whether phones have LEDs in future reviews. This matters to people!
    09-19-2015 11:50 PM
    Also, the screen, sounds, and vibration don't notify you unless your phone is in hand or next to you anyway. An LED can notify you from a good distance. It's a persistent warning that something changed.

I hope the AC editor team is noticing these comments so they can bother to tell us whether phones have LEDs in future reviews. This matters to people!
    This is the third generation of the Moto X. We're three years into no notification LED on these Motorolas.
    09-19-2015 11:58 PM
    I think I would have rather had an AMOLED display and a battery that matched the Moto X Play. Other than that, this phone is awesome, the highlights being near stock Android, Motorola software enhancements, and just the overall look and feel of the device.
    09-20-2015 12:05 AM
    An LED can notify you from a good distance. It's a persistent warning that something changed.
    People in this thread are taking the LED thing so seriously I can't tell if it's a joke or not.
    And like Ry said, this isn't new. It's the third Moto with no LED. Third!
    09-20-2015 12:07 AM
    I don't like that mine isn't here yet. But... that will change on Tuesday! This old Galaxy Note 2 is getting way laggy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    Eduardo06sp likes this.
    09-20-2015 12:12 AM
    Now that I have actually used one for a day:

1. No LED notification
    2. 4gb missing compared to the bloated Note 5. Ironic. Should be called a Pure 60gb.
    3. Charging runs too warm IMO and using any other charger including my fast charger for the Note 4 is gosh awful slow. First device I have had that has this apparent issue. Usually they will just not work, rather than charge slooooooow.
    4. On screen nav bar. Not Moto's fault though. First device since S3, S4 and Note 4 I have used without the home button.
    5. No power save mode throttling. Samsung devices have this feature and I use all the time unless heavy gaming.

That is it so far. Nice device in spite of the stuff mentioned above. The charge issue though could bug me enough to return, since will not use the fast charger much and not buying anymore of them. Battery life is my litmus though. Needs to last all day of my use like the Note 4 does.

I do not like the fast charger or the apparent charging constraints noted. Runs too warm IMO and not lugging it around.
    09-20-2015 12:13 AM

1. No LED notification
    2. 4gb missing compared to the bloated Note 5. Ironic. Should be called a Pure 60gb.
    3. Charging runs too warm IMO and using any other charger including my fast charger for the Note 4 is gosh awful slow. First device I have had that has this apparent issue. Usually they will just not work, rather than charge slooooooow.
    4. On screen nav bar. Not Moto's fault though. First device since S3, S4 and Note 4 I have used without the home button.
    5. No power save mode throttling. Samsung devices have this feature and I use all the time unless heavy gaming.

That is it so far. Nice device in spite of the stuff mentioned above. The charge issue though could bug me, since will not use the fast charger much and not buying anymore of them. Battery life is my litmus though. Needs to last all day of my use like the Note 4 does.

The charging issue IMO is dumb and could also be a factor. I do not like the fast charger. Runs too warm IMO and not lugging it around.
    What's the temp when you're using the TurboPower Charger?
    09-20-2015 12:20 AM
    Not sure, just know my Note 4 does not get anywhere near as warm, nor any previous device. Note 4 fast charging gets a little warm, but a far distant second to the Pure. My main issue is I do not want to be stuck having to lug this charger around or maintain backups of it. Already have enough chargers that work with multiple devices. This is the first one that does not at a normal rate. My wife's Razr Maxx HD does not have the issue either.

I edited my post in regards to dumb, but maybe I'll put it back...
    09-20-2015 12:42 AM
    People in this thread are taking the LED thing so seriously I can't tell if it's a joke or not.
    I felt that way when people were whining about the lack of an IR blaster on the Note 5. I still have trouble understanding that, since you can buy a universal remote for $6.

In contrast, I can see why people are annoyed at the lack of notification LED. Not everyone has had a Moto before, so this came as a surprise to me. It's a stupid oversight, IMO, and having to root to get a notification LED is not a solution. Root will break other things, like Android pay.
    GeordieAffy likes this.
    09-20-2015 01:25 AM
    I felt that way when people were whining about the lack of an IR blaster on the Note 5. I still have trouble understanding that, since you can buy a universal remote for $6.

In contrast, I can see why people are annoyed at the lack of notification LED. Not everyone has had a Moto before, so this came as a surprise to me. It's a stupid oversight, IMO, and having to root to get a notification LED is not a solution. Root will break other things, like Android pay.
    The notifier LED is something I've loved since the Blackberry days. And yeah, this the Gen 3 without the LED. Just goes to show Moto can be as dumb about the blindingly obvious as anyone else. They put a bloody LED in the thing! Make it useful. The on screen notifications are awesome. Love that to death. But it's just not there with a simple, persistent LED notifier. Turquoise? I have mail. Blue? SMS. Red? Missed call. Beautiful and simple. I don't even have to look - just see it out f the corner of my eye. In a meeting I can see what to ignore.
    GeordieAffy likes this.
    09-20-2015 02:49 AM
    Whatever the perceived shortcomings are, I doubt most people that complained in this thread are going to actually return the phone because of what they've listed here.
    09-20-2015 03:41 AM
    I am pretty sure there are more Moto phones than just the 3 X phones with no LED, my Nexus 6 does not have it, does the Play have it? did any of the G's?
    09-20-2015 05:46 AM
    This is the third generation of the Moto X. We're three years into no notification LED on these Motorolas.
    Right, but I'd be willing to bet this still came as news to people who, like myself, couldn't have cared less about the previous two moto X offerings...
    09-20-2015 07:55 AM

1. No LED notification

That is it so far. Nice device in spite of the stuff mentioned above. The charge issue though could bug me enough to return, since will not use the fast charger much and not buying anymore of them. Battery life is my litmus though. Needs to last all day of my use like the Note 4 does.

I do not like the fast charger or the apparent charging constraints noted. Runs too warm IMO and not lugging it around.
    What is this on screen nav bar? Where is it and what does it look like?
    09-20-2015 08:19 AM
    Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but with Moto display doesn't the whole screen illuminate black, with clock and notification icon, and continue to "blink" on and off until you check the notification?
    Yes. Yes it does. As soon as you get a notification, and then at evenly spaced intervals after that.

Posted via the Android Central App
    kj11 likes this.
    09-20-2015 08:20 AM
    The slow mo charging with anything not the Moto charger is a big issue to me. It is almost USB from PC slow. The only other issue is the nav bar, since used to the display space not being wasted by it. I did not like it on tablets and despise it now on a phone. None of my devices have had this and makes me appreciate them more in that regard. S3, S4, N4, Tab S 8.4 and iPad Air. I did not realize it would be so annoying to me until using a device beyond a few minutes.

Sadly Samsung's Apple fetish has steered them down a path of no sd cards. Their apparent sales decline will hopefully make them change direction with sd slots, but that is doubtful. Need to get used to the bar I guess.
    09-20-2015 08:21 AM
    1. Lack of wireless charging.
    2. A little too big. I wish it stayed closer to 2014 size.
    09-20-2015 08:24 AM
    What is this on screen nav bar? Where is it and what does it look like?
    He's talking about the Back, Home, Multitask buttons on the bottom of the screen. And I am of the direct opposite opinion here... I can't stand HW/capacitive buttons but that's another story and has been beaten to death.
    09-20-2015 08:26 AM
    Yes. Yes it does. As soon as you get a notification, and then at evenly spaced intervals after that.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Perfect. In my opinion this eases the annoyance/inconvenience of not having the notification light
    09-20-2015 08:56 AM
    Yes it does.

Settings > Battery > Options (3 dots top right) > Battery Saver > Enable
    09-20-2015 09:03 AM
    I dont like:

1) Back dimple is too small. I use a 2014 moto x for work and love the larger dimple.
    2) Standard back is too slick. I got it thinking it would be grippier than the wood back I wanted. Had I known it was gonna be this slick, I woulda got the wood back.
    09-20-2015 09:04 AM
    It's just the video. The viewing angles are perfectly fine. This phone has an LED, you have to root to enable it.
    Not an option for many users.
    09-20-2015 10:15 AM

Do you take your uni remote to work and bars and waiting rooms? Many users simply never learned to use the built in blaster.
    We do agree the led notifier is the most elegant method of notification.
    09-20-2015 10:18 AM
    ummm, it's not a joke. it's an ABSOLUTE deal killer for me. first and foremost, my phone is a communication device. if it cannot NOTIFY ME visually when someone is trying to communicate with me, it is failing at its primary purpose. it's that simple.

I am truly appreciative of this thread which has brought this issue to light for me. it never even entered my mind that such a basic and fundamental function would ever be removed. it doesn't matter to me if previous generations had the same limitation, I wasn't in the market for a new phone back then. but I am now, and this thread has saved me from making a terrible mistake.
    09-20-2015 11:20 AM
    Not the best example..... someone picking up their phone in a meeting to respond to whatever triggered the notification is worse than the notification tone, 99% of the time.
    I strongly disagree. Where I work, it's common practice for everyone to silence their phones during meetings. Glancing down to check a flashing LED affects nobody, but sounds emitting from phones are immediately disruptive to the entire room. Whoever is speaking will usually stop while everyone else looks around to see whose phone is making noise.
    recDNA and JavaNoire like this.
    09-20-2015 11:23 AM
619 ... 56789 ...