What do you NOT like about YOUR Moto X Pure Edition?

Rickosw

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about the Moto X Pure Edition?

does anyone know
if Moto X Pure edition support

Bluetooth aptX - is there anyway to show that it does ?

Camera RAW FORMAT?

any audio DAC / AMP ?

thanks

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

It does not do raw format. I don't get this love of LEDs but active display has been a signature feature for now the last three moto x's so I don't know why it's such a surprise it doesn't have LED notifications (outside of limited with root).

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about this phone?

But "None" is different from silent. You actually don't get any notifications while it's set to None, but on silent you still get the notifications, it just doesn't make any sound. I miss silent mode so much :( I can't believe Google had the gall t9 take it out in lollipop.

Posted via the Android Central App
Download Shush. Best thing ever. It silences your phone for however long you want. You can just hold the volume rocker down until it goes down all the way, then a control pops up to set the notfications return time. When the time is up, the volume comesbac k to your starting point. Or tell it to simply leave it off. If you have a silent widget, it pops up when you tap it. Best thing is it's free, with no weird intrusive rights. I love it. I've been using it for years. Simple and works perfectly.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site

A true notification means the phone alerts you -- you can be concentrating on something else and it does something to get your attention, even from across the room. What you're describing is an active query -- you have to be near the phone and perform some action to see if something happened. If you don't perform that action, you won't know anything happened. It's like an alarm clock with no alarm: the only way to know if it's time to wake up is to be awake and look at the time.

And you are turning on the screen. Even if most of the pixels are black, the backlight still comes on and consumes power.

-- Rob

It consumes hardly any power. Went a couple days with notifications on just to try and then a few days with the Moto display stuff off and I didn't see any noticeable difference in battery. I think people are annoyed with the non amoled thing, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference in battery through the four days. Of course more options for people that like LED would be nice, I always turn it off though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
What do you NOT like about the Moto X Pure Edition?

I like LED and still a common feature for every other device I can think of. Per Moto, they created active due to the battery efficiency and ability to localize what part of the display is on with OLED. Seems the premise has been compromised with LCD. I have zero desire to use any of the sensors and intend to use like the Note 4 (I turned all the sensor bling off it too).

Need the Pure to last all day like my N4, or it goes back. I want the device for calls, texts, web, games, media, convenience photos and perhaps VR content. Key lures were the speakers, lack of bloat and twice the storage of the Note 4 with sd slot.

I appreciate others like the Moto stuff, but I see the stuff as battery using stuff I won't use. I understand though 100% why most like the features.

Last edited:

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

So far i love this phone except the screen where u toggle between windows. It isnt as smooth as the rest of android, but it isnt annoying. The speakers and charger are stupid awesome. Oh ya, low light pics are grainy.

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

The active display is part of the phone and complaining about it is like complaining that Samsung still uses a physical button on the front of their phones. If you don't like it, buy something else.

That's where I'm going with this. I wasn't aware of the no LED issue until I read this thread, and it's a deal killer for me. I don't want to have to continually check my phone to see if I've received a text, I want the phone to tell me -- that's the entire point of notifications: to be NOTIFIED.

-- Rob

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

It does not do raw format. I don't get this love of LEDs but active display has been a signature feature for now the last three moto x's so I don't know why it's such a surprise it doesn't have LED notifications
Because with the LED you don't have to actively check for incoming messages. Let's say you're expecting an important message. Without the LED, you have to sit by your phone waving your hand across it. With the LED, you're free to set the phone down and go about other business. When the message shows up, the LED flashes, and you know to stop what you're doing and go check the phone. It's the visual form of a ring tone.

This is surprising to me because being notified is fundamental to using any communication device. Every modern OS has notifications built in. But this hardware suppresses them -- instead of being notified, you have to "check your messages."

I wasn't aware of this on earlier Moto Xs because I wasn't in the market for a phone then. But I am now, and the lack of an external notification (i.e. LED) takes the Moto X out the running for me.

-- Rob

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
What do you NOT like about the Moto X Pure Edition?

That's where I'm going with this. I wasn't aware of the no LED issue until I read this thread, and it's a deal killer for me. I don't want to have to continually check my phone to see if I've received a text, I want the phone to tell me -- that's the entire point of notifications: to be NOTIFIED.

-- Rob

That seems the point being missed here. The tech worked okay with OLED and the areas with notifications lit, but is not resource practical with LCD. Seems kind of battery dumb not to offer LED as an option for those that do not want the entire display powered on for notifications, or having to "wash on, wash off" to check if they have any.

Again, Motorola is who pointed out the whole reason for the idea was the power efficiency of OLED displays and the ability to only power the areas with notifications. That premise is busted with LCD. Not seeing how folks are not appreciating the option should at least be in the settings. Especially since the LED exists on the device already.

This is a waste of battery life with LCD, so the option to use it or not should be at the settings option discretion of the user. If you want to use it, great- if not, LED great too.

Last edited:

ursa08

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

For me:
1. Battery life :(
2. Can not close all open tabs at same time :(
Why?

I had OPO before...

WP7Nettwerk

May 21, 2015
Visit site

2. Stock Android doesn't this. OPO has CM or other modified Android OS. Thats is why you think it doesn't and other does.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

This is a waste of battery life with LCD, so the option to use it or not should be at the settings option discretion of the user. If you want to use it, great- if not, LED great too.

Although I agree about the extra power consumption, that's not the primary issue for me. It's the fact that I have to check repeatedly to see if a message MAY have arrived rather than being alerted when one HAS arrived.

I suppose if you spend all day with your phone in your hand it's not such a big deal. But I typically set it down nearby while I do other things, and the idea of having to stop what I'm doing to walk over and physically check the phone is an unacceptable waste of time, especially when a quick glance at an LED would do the trick.

captainkirkw

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I installed Swiftkey and customized it to show the numbers across the top and also enabled Voice Input key but do not see it on my keyboard. I wish we could have just customized the stock keyboard.

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Although I agree about the extra power consumption, that's not the primary issue for me. It's the fact that I have to check repeatedly to see if a message MAY have arrived rather than being alerted when one HAS arrived.

I suppose if you spend all day with your phone in your hand it's not such a big deal. But I typically set it down nearby while I do other things, and the idea of having to stop what I'm doing to walk over and physically check the phone is an unacceptable waste of time, especially when a quick glance at an LED would do the trick.

Why dont you assign a ring tone or vibrate for a alert , different tone for different apps is the same as different color for alerts

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Why dont you assign a ring tone or vibrate for a alert , different tone for different apps is the same as different color for alerts

Because sounds are disruptive to others. This might work when I'm by myself, but it wouldn't work in a meeting, for example. Seriously, an LED is a simple solution that works incredibly well. I'm not suggesting they eliminate the Moto Display, but why not allow both? The LED lights up, which tells me I'll find something if I wave my hand.

Rogue Tomato

Banned
Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

1. No fingerprint sensor
2. No built-in wireless charging
3. Not AMOLED (LCD)
4. No LED notification (is this really true? seems crazy to me)

But having a selfie flash makes up for everything, right?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

1. No fingerprint sensor
2. No built-in wireless charging
3. Not AMOLED (LCD)
4. No LED notification (is this really true? seems crazy to me)

But having a selfie flash makes up for everything, right?
Ya I think Moto dumped multicolor led after razr maxx hd. It was so nice on my OG Droid. Best led notifier ever. Not.too big like razr maxx hd and had many many discernably different colors. Even phones that have multicolor led notifiers now don't have as many colors.

I also love wireless charging and agree ir blaster is nice.
I also miss the fm radio on my og droid.

droid5

May 5, 2012
Visit site

But "None" is different from silent. You actually don't get any notifications while it's set to None, but on silent you still get the notifications, it just doesn't make any sound. I miss silent mode so much :( I can't believe Google had the gall t9 take it out in lollipop.

Motorola could have added it like other manufactures.