What do you NOT like about YOUR Moto X Pure Edition?

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about this phone?

I installed Swiftkey and customized it to show the numbers across the top and also enabled Voice Input key but do not see it on my keyboard. I wish we could have just customized the stock keyboard.
It's immediately left of the space bar. Long hold the comma and it opens right up!

Rogue Tomato

Banned
Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

Ya I think Moto dumped multicolor led after razr maxx hd. It was so nice on my OG Droid. Best led notifier ever. Not.too big like razr maxx hd and had many many discernably different colors. Even phones that have multicolor led notifiers now don't have as many colors.

I also love wireless charging and agree ir blaster is nice.
I also miss the fm radio on my og droid.

I also noticed in a video on another site that the viewing angles on this phone look pretty bad. If you don't have a notification LED and use wave-to-wake instead, your phone is flat and therefore at an angle. In the video that demonstrated this, the display at that angle is so dim, I almost thought his wave-to-wake didn't do anything at all. I had to look at it twice to see the really dim white thing in the center of the display, and it was so dim I still don't know what it was. Maybe an unlock icon.

It's just a video, so I don't know if it's that bad in person.

I really don't get leaving out the LED. What cost would it add to the phone? 5 cents?

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about the Moto X Pure Edition?

I absolutely love mine ..the only thing I don't like is not a lot of good case right now..

spazn4u

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Mine actually interferes with my Laser/radar detector. First phone to do that. The radar detector is going anywhere so you know where the phone is going

Last edited:

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I also noticed in a video on another site that the viewing angles on this phone look pretty bad. If you don't have a notification LED and use wave-to-wake instead, your phone is flat and therefore at an angle. In the video that demonstrated this, the display at that angle is so dim, I almost thought his wave-to-wake didn't do anything at all. I had to look at it twice to see the really dim white thing in the center of the display, and it was so dim I still don't know what it was. Maybe an unlock icon.

It's just a video, so I don't know if it's that bad in person.

I really don't get leaving out the LED. What cost would it add to the phone? 5 cents?

It's just the video. The viewing angles are perfectly fine. This phone has an LED, you have to root to enable it.

Zivman

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

The size of the phone. It's just too big. I also don't care for the LCD display. The blacks and contrast are subpar. I'm coming from the original moto x and didn't buy the '14 x due to the size, so its no surprise the pure is a bit too much... But I won't buy a skinned Android and I have give up on nexus devices and needed a new phone so it is what it is

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Because sounds are disruptive to others. This might work when I'm by myself, but it wouldn't work in a meeting, for example. Seriously, an LED is a simple solution that works incredibly well. I'm not suggesting they eliminate the Moto Display, but why not allow both? The LED lights up, which tells me I'll find something if I wave my hand.

Not the best example..... someone picking up their phone in a meeting to respond to whatever triggered the notification is worse than the notification tone, 99% of the time.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Because with the LED you don't have to actively check for incoming messages. Let's say you're expecting an important message. Without the LED, you have to sit by your phone waving your hand across it. With the LED, you're free to set the phone down and go about other business. When the message shows up, the LED flashes, and you know to stop what you're doing and go check the phone. It's the visual form of a ring tone.

This is surprising to me because being notified is fundamental to using any communication device. Every modern OS has notifications built in. But this hardware suppresses them -- instead of being notified, you have to "check your messages."

I wasn't aware of this on earlier Moto Xs because I wasn't in the market for a phone then. But I am now, and the lack of an external notification (i.e. LED) takes the Moto X out the running for me.

-- Rob

Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but with Moto display doesn't the whole screen illuminate black, with clock and notification icon, and continue to "blink" on and off until you check the notification?

vinceboii

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

Today is the 3rd day now that I've had the PE, I think the only thing i dislike about the phone is the LED flash, its not as bright as my M8 lol only complaint seriously.

editorkid

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

Because sounds are disruptive to others. This might work when I'm by myself, but it wouldn't work in a meeting, for example. Seriously, an LED is a simple solution that works incredibly well. I'm not suggesting they eliminate the Moto Display, but why not allow both? The LED lights up, which tells me I'll find something if I wave my hand.
Also, the screen, sounds, and vibration don't notify you unless your phone is in hand or next to you anyway. An LED can notify you from a good distance. It's a persistent warning that something changed.

I hope the AC editor team is noticing these comments so they can bother to tell us whether phones have LEDs in future reviews. This matters to people!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Also, the screen, sounds, and vibration don't notify you unless your phone is in hand or next to you anyway. An LED can notify you from a good distance. It's a persistent warning that something changed.

I hope the AC editor team is noticing these comments so they can bother to tell us whether phones have LEDs in future reviews. This matters to people!

This is the third generation of the Moto X. We're three years into no notification LED on these Motorolas.

Scott93274

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site

I think I would have rather had an AMOLED display and a battery that matched the Moto X Play. Other than that, this phone is awesome, the highlights being near stock Android, Motorola software enhancements, and just the overall look and feel of the device.

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

An LED can notify you from a good distance. It's a persistent warning that something changed.

People in this thread are taking the LED thing so seriously I can't tell if it's a joke or not.
And like Ry said, this isn't new. It's the third Moto with no LED. Third!

BoneDigger

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

I don't like that mine isn't here yet. But... that will change on Tuesday! This old Galaxy Note 2 is getting way laggy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
What do you NOT like about the Moto X Pure Edition?

Now that I have actually used one for a day:

1. No LED notification
2. 4gb missing compared to the bloated Note 5. Ironic. Should be called a Pure 60gb.
3. Charging runs too warm IMO and using any other charger including my fast charger for the Note 4 is gosh awful slow. First device I have had that has this apparent issue. Usually they will just not work, rather than charge slooooooow.
4. On screen nav bar. Not Moto's fault though. First device since S3, S4 and Note 4 I have used without the home button.
5. No power save mode throttling. Samsung devices have this feature and I use all the time unless heavy gaming.

That is it so far. Nice device in spite of the stuff mentioned above. The charge issue though could bug me enough to return, since will not use the fast charger much and not buying anymore of them. Battery life is my litmus though. Needs to last all day of my use like the Note 4 does.

I do not like the fast charger or the apparent charging constraints noted. Runs too warm IMO and not lugging it around.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Now that I have actually used one for a day:

1. No LED notification
2. 4gb missing compared to the bloated Note 5. Ironic. Should be called a Pure 60gb.
3. Charging runs too warm IMO and using any other charger including my fast charger for the Note 4 is gosh awful slow. First device I have had that has this apparent issue. Usually they will just not work, rather than charge slooooooow.
4. On screen nav bar. Not Moto's fault though. First device since S3, S4 and Note 4 I have used without the home button.
5. No power save mode throttling. Samsung devices have this feature and I use all the time unless heavy gaming.

That is it so far. Nice device in spite of the stuff mentioned above. The charge issue though could bug me, since will not use the fast charger much and not buying anymore of them. Battery life is my litmus though. Needs to last all day of my use like the Note 4 does.

The charging issue IMO is dumb and could also be a factor. I do not like the fast charger. Runs too warm IMO and not lugging it around.

What's the temp when you're using the TurboPower Charger?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
What do you NOT like about the Moto X Pure Edition?

Not sure, just know my Note 4 does not get anywhere near as warm, nor any previous device. Note 4 fast charging gets a little warm, but a far distant second to the Pure. My main issue is I do not want to be stuck having to lug this charger around or maintain backups of it. Already have enough chargers that work with multiple devices. This is the first one that does not at a normal rate. My wife's Razr Maxx HD does not have the issue either.

I edited my post in regards to dumb, but maybe I'll put it back... ;)

Rogue Tomato

Banned
Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

People in this thread are taking the LED thing so seriously I can't tell if it's a joke or not.
And like Ry said, this isn't new. It's the third Moto with no LED. Third!

I felt that way when people were whining about the lack of an IR blaster on the Note 5. I still have trouble understanding that, since you can buy a universal remote for $6.

In contrast, I can see why people are annoyed at the lack of notification LED. Not everyone has had a Moto before, so this came as a surprise to me. It's a stupid oversight, IMO, and having to root to get a notification LED is not a solution. Root will break other things, like Android pay.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

I felt that way when people were whining about the lack of an IR blaster on the Note 5. I still have trouble understanding that, since you can buy a universal remote for $6.

In contrast, I can see why people are annoyed at the lack of notification LED. Not everyone has had a Moto before, so this came as a surprise to me. It's a stupid oversight, IMO, and having to root to get a notification LED is not a solution. Root will break other things, like Android pay.

The notifier LED is something I've loved since the Blackberry days. And yeah, this the Gen 3 without the LED. Just goes to show Moto can be as dumb about the blindingly obvious as anyone else. They put a bloody LED in the thing! Make it useful. The on screen notifications are awesome. Love that to death. But it's just not there with a simple, persistent LED notifier. Turquoise? I have mail. Blue? SMS. Red? Missed call. Beautiful and simple. I don't even have to look - just see it out f the corner of my eye. In a meeting I can see what to ignore.