What do you NOT like about YOUR Moto X Pure Edition?

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about the Moto X Pure Edition?

Nah, it works no problem. Been using it since I got the phone. Way better than ambient display on My N6.....or the LED on my M7, or my Gnex, or my Droid2, or my OG Droid, or my blackberry or...... Well, you get the picture.

Posted via the Android Central App

Is there something you need to turn on in order to get the "breathing" screen?

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

They didnt take it away the Moto X never had it

Other phones have had it since the beginning. Moto X made a conscious decision to take it away.

You have to turn phone on to dismiss the LED dont you ?

Sure. And you have to turn it on to dismiss the screen. The only difference is HOW you turn it on: you wave your hand, I push a button. I don't see a relevant difference.

You have to silence your phone any way for meetings , so not much difference
Actually I don't. I always leave notification sounds turned off. I use the LED exclusively, which is why it's such a big deal to me.

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Other phones have had it since the beginning. Moto X made a conscious decision to take it away.
We are not talking about other phones
Sure. And you have to turn it on to dismiss the screen. The only difference is HOW you turn it on: you wave your hand, I push a button. I don't see a relevant difference.
no you dont have to turn your phone on . the hand wave dismisses the notifiction
Actually I don't. I always leave notification sounds turned off. I use the LED exclusively, which is why it's such a big deal to me.
So phone call in the middle of meating is no bid thing

have fun with you x-mas tree lights , i'm done

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

You know, there is an LED on the device and with a few changes in settings with a rooted device and a small app, XDA folks have it working. Not complex, so seems a low resource effort for Moto to add the feature for those that want it. Just saying.

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

So phone call in the middle of meating is no bid thing
I never said it was. Rather I said turning on sounds to act as notifications was unacceptable.

We are not talking about other phones
Well I certainly am. I'm talking about the difference between phones I'm considering buying, one of which is the Moto X (I'm not sure I see the value in making a comparison between two phones that AREN'T different).

no you dont have to turn your phone on . the hand wave dismisses the notifiction
I have a feeling I'm still unclear about how this notification system works, and there seems to be conflicting information in this thread.

(1) My understanding was (is?) that when something happens, you have to wave your hand and then it will show up on the screen. This is not a notification at all, rather it is "checking your messages."

(2) I've also read that the notification appears on the screen automatically, and it flashes until you dismiss it, which you do by waving your hand. This IS a true notification because you don't have to perform any explicit action to get it.

If it's (1), it's a deal-killer for me because I need visual notifications from a distance. If it's (2), it's essentially the same as an LED only with a less power-efficient (but presumably easier-to-use) implementation.

So, on the Moto X Pure Edition (I don't care about previous Motos), which is it, (1) or (2)?

droidxd00d

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

I never said it was. Rather I said turning on sounds to act as notifications was unacceptable.

Well I certainly am. I'm talking about the difference between phones I'm considering buying, one of which is the Moto X (I'm not sure I see the value in making a comparison between two phones that AREN'T different).

I have a feeling I'm still unclear about how this notification system works, and there seems to be conflicting information in this thread.

(1) My understanding was (is?) that when something happens, you have to wave your hand and then it will show up on the screen. This is not a notification at all, rather it is "checking your messages."

(2) I've also read that the notification appears on the screen automatically, and it flashes until you dismiss it, which you do by waving your hand. This IS a true notification because you don't have to perform any explicit action to get it.

If it's (1), it's a deal-killer for me because I need visual notifications from a distance. If it's (2), it's essentially the same as an LED only with a less power-efficient (but presumably easier-to-use) implementation.

So, on the Moto X Pure Edition (I don't care about previous Motos), which is it, (1) or (2)?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the response. So to be clear, does the notification show up only once and then fade out, or does it continue to flash until I dismiss it?

In other words, if I'm not looking when it arrives, will I still be able to see it if I glance at it from a distance later?

droidxd00d

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the response. So to be clear, does the notification show up only once and then fade out, or does it continue to flash until I dismiss it?

In other words, if I'm not looking when it arrives, will I still be able to see it if I glance at it from a distance later?
It continues to flash at intervals and actually has little circular icons that indicate what type of notification you have gotten. A text email missed call etc.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

No, I got it. But quietly looking at my phone below the surface of the conference table doesn't disrupt anyone. It's no different than looking up references or taking notes, and everyone else can continue the meeting conversation uninterrupted.

A sound, on the other hand, immediately draws everyone's attention (eyes and ears) to the sound, and it brings the meeting conversation to a halt. Maybe that lasts for only a second or two, but it's still disruptive. If it happens once, most people will consider it an oversight. But failing to silence the phone and letting it happen again is both unprofessional and rude.

It might not disrupt the anyone, but I have serious doubts about the lack of disruption. Maybe I am too aware of the other people in the meetingd but non-standard movements - such a looking under the table - do caught my eye. Maybe too many years as a teacher in a classroom watching 25-30 high school students.

To me the rude and unprofessional behavior is the disrespect for the other people in the meeting and the presenter when you check and react to your phone. If you are not checking and reacting to the notification, how do you know the LED is blinking under the table? Or was it blinking on the table and you moved it under the table to check the incoming material?

I suspect we are from different generations and have a different value set. This is probably one of those things we will just have to smile and walk on down our paths.

65fastback

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

ive had multiple nexus phones in a row and got a 2014 moto x for my work phone.

the mere fact of the moto notification system over the stupid, useless blinking LED is why I bought a moto x pure over waiting for the N5X

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

It might not disrupt the anyone, but I have serious doubts about the lack of disruption. Maybe I am too aware of the other people in the meetingd but non-standard movements - such a looking under the table - do caught my eye. Maybe too many years as a teacher in a classroom watching 25-30 high school students.

To me the rude and unprofessional behavior is the disrespect for the other people in the meeting and the presenter when you check and react to your phone. If you are not checking and reacting to the notification, how do you know the LED is blinking under the table? Or was it blinking on the table and you moved it under the table to check the incoming material?

I suspect we are from different generations and have a different value set. This is probably one of those things we will just have to smile and walk on down our paths.

Interesting side discussion. In my workplace (military engineering), phones are an integral part of the job. When I'm in a meeting, I often need to communicate with my team in the lab, often to feed status into the meeting, or to get them to prepare for a demo at the end of the meeting.

Our meetings are rarely in the form of a single lecturer, and rarely do the range of topics affect everyone in the room at the same time. When that happens, you're expected to be quiet, but nobody expects you to stare at the wall. It's not uncommon for people to bring laptops to keep themselves busy during those down times, and it's even more common for folks to be engaged on their phones. As long as you're being quiet, the main meeting continues without interruption.

As for generations, you may be right. I'll be 50 next year and throughout my career, this has been the standard for meeting etiquette, at least in all the companies I've worked for. Of course we used notepads and pencils before we had laptops and phones, but it was the same idea: just be quiet and nobody will be bothered.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Mod Note - Please keep the thread on topic. This topic is about things various people do not like on the Moto X. If you do not care to discuss this you're encourage to move along to another thread.

Thanks.

editorkid

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

You have to turn phone on to dismiss the LED dont you ?
No, a couple of taps on my watch and it's gone.

You have to silence your phone any way for meetings , so not much difference
Actually, I use the free Timeriffic to set all volumes to 0 from 8:45 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. with priority notifications set to vibrate for contacts only. It's not just meetings. A dozen people work within earshot of my voice.

Anyway, none of the detractors have come up with a reason not to have a multicolor notification LED (sorry for the caps). The AMOLED (sorry for the caps) Galaxy Nexus had one. Battery life is a wash between screen and LED until someone hooks it up to a voltmeter and gets some real-world numbers, and it isn't realistically among the top drains anyway. (My Nexus 5 says Light Flow uses 1% with all that activity.) You can turn it off if you're a hater. "Because they do it another way" doesn't answer "But why not both ways?" Right now my Nexus 5 LED has four different colors for an email, Periscope broadcast, and texts from two different people. I wave my hand over my X like Houdini and nothin'. The icons appear when I pick it up or jostle it, not inconspicuous at all. And the icons don't tell me who emailed or texted like the LED does. The best reason one person can come up with for arguing the point is "because I like what it's got." Meh. It needs a multicolor notification LED.

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Hopefully this falls in line with the mod's request.

Concerning the new (to me) notification system: my typical usage is to set my phone down and move some distance away to do other things. I routinely glance at it, and if the LED is blinking, I'll go grab the phone at my earliest convenience and check it.

I now know the Moto notification system will light the screen at some periodic interval, too. What I don't know is how long I'll have to look at it before it flashes on.

Obviously, I have to look at the phone at least as long as the blink interval to be sure whether there is or isn't a notification. With my LED, that amounts to a couple seconds. That's slower than I'd like, but it's not too imposing. Does the Moto X flash with a similar interval, or is it something much longer? Can the interval be changed, and if so, what's the fastest it can be changed to?

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Hopefully this falls in line with the mod's request.

Concerning the new (to me) notification system: my typical usage is to set my phone down and move some distance away to do other things. I routinely glance at it, and if the LED is blinking, I'll go grab the phone at my earliest convenience and check it.

I now know the Moto notification system will light the screen at some periodic interval, too. What I don't know is how long I'll have to look at it before it flashes on.

Obviously, I have to look at the phone at least as long as the blink interval to be sure whether there is or isn't a notification. With my LED, that amounts to a couple seconds. That's slower than I'd like, but it's not too imposing. Does the Moto X flash with a similar interval, or is it something much longer? Can the interval be changed, and if so, what's the fastest it can be changed to?

You can also ask the phone to read your notifications aloud, so if you're in a place where speaker phone is appropriate you can say, "*launch phrase* read notifications". Not discreet, but an option.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You can also ask the phone to read your notifications aloud, so if you're in a place where speaker phone is appropriate you can say, "*launch phrase* read notifications". Not discreet, but an option.

Or use the new gesture to hold it to your ear and then ask it. That way it talks into the earpiece.

Rogue Tomato

Banned
Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

You know, there is an LED on the device and with a few changes in settings with a rooted device and a small app, XDA folks have it working. Not complex, so seems a low resource effort for Moto to add the feature for those that want it. Just saying.

Android Pay won't work on a rooted phone. So you can't have both; it's either LED or Android Pay.

As for the sound options, in my previous job, silenced phones were a requirement, not a courtesy, inside and outside of meetings, assuming you could even get a signal in that god forsaken building.

Heck, we weren't even allowed to talk on the cell phone while on the job. You have an emergency? You have to step outside into the hall to handle it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia