What do you NOT like about YOUR Moto X Pure Edition?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about the Moto X Pure Edition?

Moto voice doesn't work for crap for me. Assumed it was my Kentucky accent ;)

Posted via the Android Central App
I'm a Kentucky user as well, but have no issues with it. I just prefer not to use it since find battery life better not using it. Siri is the same on iPhone as far as draining more battery.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I don't use my Moto voice primarily because it makes me feel like I'm in an episode of Star Trek trying to communicate with the "computer" on the Enterprise! LOL
And until i can communicate in normal language like they do in Start Trek I think it's more of a gimmick than anything else. Not saying it doesn't have its uses but mostly just a gimmick. I think the only time I use it at all is to say "listen" while driving and receiving a text. I wish it would read my email messages also. Anyone know if that's possible?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I don't use my Moto voice primarily because it makes me feel like I'm in an episode of Star Trek trying to communicate with the "computer" on the Enterprise! LOL
And until i can communicate in normal language like they do in Start Trek I think it's more of a gimmick than anything else. Not saying it doesn't have its uses but mostly just a gimmick. I think the only time I use it at all is to say "listen" while driving and receiving a text. I wish it would read my email messages also. Anyone know if that's possible?

That would be my trigger for MV: Computah'

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

"Ok, Google Now" feature definitely not as sensitive as it was on my Moto X 2013. I'd say it doesn't work for me 80% of the time on the Pure. This is very frustrating as it was one of my favorite features of the Moto X.

same here. Going to re do the voice command this weekend and hopefully it will fix the issue for me.

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

I'll tell you what I don't like about the Moto X Pure Edition... The people who are referring to it and say "for a phone that's this price." It runs better than any of the higher priced phones, end of story. I'd have paid for a more expensive phone if they'd run better but they don't. The only points that can be knocked are on the camera, and the camera is still pretty damn good. I'm not a fanboy, I've never even considered buying a Motorola phone until this one. But I really can't stand the "for a phone that's this price" statement in reviews and comments. So annoying.
I'm not sure why that's a big deal. The value proposition is important to a lot of people. For me, I'd rather pay more for something I want than pay less for something I don't, but if I can get what I want for less, all the better.

Two things took the MXPE out of contention for me, but they had nothing to do with performance. First, I finally got my hands on one at a Best Buy store. I was hoping the standard back would be tacky, but it was as slippery as any phone I've held. Second is the lack of a notification LED. It's been talked about ad nauseum in this thread. I suspected I'd rather have an LED over Moto Display, but folks here urged me to try it and see. So I borrowed a friend's old Moto X a week or so ago, and I've been using it ever since. I can now confirm that I'd rather have an LED. Is that a deal killer? Maybe not, but since the Nexus 6P has been announced, it seems like a better all around fit for me. It costs a little more, but it seems to be more in line with my wants, so I ordered one.

I'm glad you're enjoying your MXPE.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'll tell you what I don't like about the Moto X Pure Edition... The people who are referring to it and say "for a phone that's this price." It runs better than any of the higher priced phones, end of story. I'd have paid for a more expensive phone if they'd run better but they don't. The only points that can be knocked are on the camera, and the camera is still pretty damn good. I'm not a fanboy, I've never even considered buying a Motorola phone until this one. But I really can't stand the "for a phone that's this price" statement in reviews and comments. So annoying.

But the price is a feature so I don't mind the price comments.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

I agree. I could and would pay more for a better phone, but there isn't one

DarrenCarnall

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site

that's the reason why I DO use it lol. I've even got my phrase as "ok, computer" and I love just being able to ask things after that. Totally futuristic lol.

macmaine

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site

Coming from 3.5 yrs use of Razr Maxx:
- Pure battery could be better, although not bad and the fast charger is super quick
- No wireless charging is unfortunate. Not solely for convenience, also consider that the charge/data port always tend to be fragile over the long run, as careful as I try to be
- Could the gui and functionality of the camera app be any worse? The picture/video quality is good but the app is terrible.

+ Still love the phone for the numerous pluses

Chasfenner

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

What I don't like about my MXPE is the time that it is taking to get a replacement phone. It is going on 2 weeks on Monday. Motorola says that the problem is that they have a shortage on like new replacement phones to send to me. I bought a new phone less than 2 months ago so send me a new phone, geez. Fyi the screen washed out which is why I need a new phone.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about this phone?

The stock camera app is a hunk of junk...to me. I was trying to use it last night at my son's concert and it was a ballistic mess with a fire for effect order.

I have a huge preference to the stock camera on all of my phones, and I'd have to say that I haven't enjoyed the Moto's camera. I know it's supposed to be a huge improvement, but as this is my first Motorola it's not a good first impression for me.

Otherwise, it's a beautiful phone for the price you pay. Considering moving over to the Droid Turbo 2, but where the heck am I going to get one of those without all the Verizon junk? The Pure is the first phone I've owned that doesn't have all the carrier bloat on it, needless to say that is a huge plus.

You just have to learn how to use it, once you do it takes great photos. It's not tap to focus. Drag the circle over the target and it will take awesome pics

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site

I bought a new phone less than 2 months ago so send me a new phone, geez.

Agreed. If they don't have a refurb available...they should man up and send a new one. Poor customer service on their part. If you have the time, I would keep calling them and telling them you are not happy. Escalate it to the next level. You shouldn't have to do that but unfortunately, Motorola doesn't understand how take care of its customer.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

The balance is off, I find the phone far too top heavy for a device this size and the dimple could be bigger to help like it was on the 2014 X.

My single biggest gripe about the size is the top heavy feel. The tear drop shape was perfect for the original Moto X, buy maybe not so good for such a tall phone.

I'm amazed at how much I can do one handed with this beast, but the top wanting to teeter out of my hand makes it a little precarious to try.

I held a Maxx 2 in-store. I wish they used that form factor with Pure specs for the Pure design. It's a little shorter, slightly lighter, so less top heavy. The lesser width (2.9") doesn't sound like much, but gives a noticeably more comfortable and assured grip for my hand.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm not getting the top heavy feel. Perhaps it is how I hold it, since seems could fall easily fall from top or bottom.

captainkirkw

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

When I got mine, back in early September, I immediately put the included bumper on it and have not yet purchased a case. I did not use a case on my 2013 Moto X, nor my LG G Flex 2, just screen protectors, but with this phone being new and a bit larger and heavier than I was used to, I figured that would be the best thing to keep it somewhat safe.

During these past couple of months, the XPE just felt too bulky to me, both in my hand and in most of my pockets, that is, until I took that bumper off this week to use a car charger that would not fit with it on. I can't believe what a difference that has made and I feel a bit silly that I was actually thinking of selling the XPE because of that. I will admit that how the phone feels while holding it, and to a lesser degree, how bulky it feels in my pockets (an no I don't wear skinny jeans :) is very important to me and while the G Flex 2 has a lot of negatives to me, it feels great in my hand and is not really noticeable in my pocket, so I kept it and use it from time to time.

Now that my XPE is naked however, I feel a lot better about it. I doubt that I would have actually sold it as it has too many positives for me, but the size and bulk was really bothering me. So I am glad that I finally tried this and will just have to keep it that way to make it feel more comfortable.

Just thought I would share so I can get that silly thing off my chest as my wife finds it hilarious that I have been swapping phone lately because of that and then just realized how different, or better really, the XPE is without that bumper.

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site

I have problems with moto voice too. The room has to be completely silent and I have to be right over the phone for it to work.
I do wish the battery was removable or bigger. I'm getting 4-4.5 hrs sot.
Lastly, I wish I didn't have to say "listen" to get it to read out my texts in driving mode. It's no big deal, just annoying.
Loving everything else though.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

I'm not getting the top heavy feel. Perhaps it is how I hold it, since seems could fall easily fall from top or bottom.

I'm not getting that top-heavy feel either. I'm a woman with average hands and I don't get it. No problem holding this phone at all and it seems perfectly balanced. But I didn't come from a small phone.... came from original Turbo.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

My Moto voice works really well.

To be perfectly honest, any time I buy a phone I know it'll come with some hiccups. This time around is a screen issue but I'll get that taken care of.

The Moto has checked off more pro's on my desire list than any other phone.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Only thing I wish it had that it doesn't is wireless charging (had that on the Turbo) and a fingerprint scanner. But its true there's no perfect phone, its this or its that it seems.

Been over in the Galaxy S6 forum snooping and it seems they have big problems with reception. If I had to choose between a fingerprint scanner and great reception...well, great reception wins easily.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX