What do you NOT like about YOUR Moto X Pure Edition?

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about the Moto X Pure Edition?

tl;dr: hardware good, software bad

I've only had the XPE for a couple of days but my initial impressions are pretty much what I expected. Hardware is fine but the software never has enough customization options. The reason I use Android is for customization. Unfortunately, Google is locking down Android more and more and really is making it more iPhone-like. There are less and less options to customize the software with preferences. Why? If Google is dumbing-down Android for the unwashed masses then why can't they hide customization preferences under the super-secret Developer Options (or something similar)?

Of course, the real solution is rooting. Which is why I have rooted every smart-phone I've owned. I would prefer not to but many of the software choices made by Google and Motorola leave me no choice. And Motorola's policy of voiding (well, not really..."hardware" issues still honored) the warranty doesn't help. But, I'm going to wait for 6.0 to show up in case there are any issues.

What annoys me many not annoy you so please don't try to persuade me that my opinions are wrong. To each his own. Writing down my complaints is therapeutic and prevents me from taking out my frustrations on the wife and ending up in prison...so bear with my long-winded therapy session. Here is what I don't like:

1. No notification LED/Moto Display: beaten to death already. I much prefer an LED. I don't like how in a car the Moto display keeps coming on with every tiny bump. Very annoying. I keep the phone in a CD-slot cradle and the Moto display comes on constantly which is distracting.

2. No double tap on screen to turn it on or no physical key on front. Unlocking the phone is a pain. If I don't swipe down just right the screen goes dark and I have to shake the phone to get the lock to appear again. I selected "None" for screen lock but I guess that only applies to the power button. Using the power button to turn on the phone is awkward for me. I just want to press on the screen and have it turn on. I hate lock screens and never use them. I don't need another step between me and progress. Like the late, great Mitch Hedberg said (before his untimely suicide) "I don't need another step between me and toast."

3. Software menu/back keys sometimes disappear and you have to tap twice...once to get them to appear and another to activate them. Argg.

4. I have to swipe down twice to get the quick settings to appear. Double Argg. Double finger swipe sometimes works but awkward for my arthritic fingers.

5. What's with those grey half moon shapes that appear on the sides/top when you swipe and you are at the end of swipping territory? Like large, oversized, useless bump stops. Don't like them. Go away.

6. Ascending ringtone. Stupid. Hate it.

7. Can only get 64GB version through Motorola. I like buying hardware locally so if there is a problem I can take it back. Hate the shipping game. Only took 4 days to get it but prefer brick & mortar so I can pull it out and try it in the store to ensure all is ok before walking out the door. Don't care about color of phone. Black is fine. Don't need accent colors. It's a tool not a fashion accessory.

8. Dialer. Defaults to speed dial. Why not give us choice to default to keypad or contacts? Simple. Make everyone happy not just one group.

9. Would like to scroll through launcher pages in a continuous loop.

10. I don't like my cat. Has nothing to do with the phone but I like to take every opportunity to emphasize the point.

11. The recent apps card stack. What a mess.

12. In the swipe down quick settings menu no way to turn auto-brightness on/off.

13. No "reboot" in power button menu. Stupid Google.

14. Screenshot button combo awkward. Also on the dead horse pile.

Well, the rest of my complaints are more of the same. As you can see, most of my problems are with Google's dumbing down and over-simplification of Android. The XPE major complaint is the LED light/Moto display issue which is a personal preference; many people like it...many don't. Whatever. I knew the issue going in and this being my first Moto thought I may like it. Tried it. Don't like it.

Of course, once I root...just about every single one of these issues can be fixed. Which is the good news. Overall, I do like the phone. Nice screen, good size, great radios and speakers, quick and zippy interface, ok camera, etc. It's a keeper.

I'm just tired of Google. They are, after all, an ADVERTISING COMPANY first and foremost. Chrome, Android, Google Search...all tools to collect data in order to optimize ad injection. Sorry for the Google rant.

Thanks for listening.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Got a laugh out loud on the cat comment.....you have valid points. Thanks for sharing them. Hope you feel better now too.....

Posted via the Android Central App

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

5758753162f333a43751cdfa02af6f9b.jpg

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site

I never said I didn't like cats. I like many cats (especially Grumpy Cat). I just don't like my cat. She's my nemesis.

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site

I told her she made my list of XPE dislikes. She was not impressed. Photo taken with the XPE.

IMG_20151115_1446271125.jpg

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

I liken people who choose cats over dogs to people who choose the MXPE over the Note 5. Oh, you're a cat person, of course YOU are. Hahaha

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Only thing I wish it had that it doesn't is wireless charging (had that on the Turbo) and a fingerprint scanner. But its true there's no perfect phone, its this or its that it seems.

Been over in the Galaxy S6 forum snooping and it seems they have big problems with reception. If I had to choose between a fingerprint scanner and great reception...well, great reception wins easily.

I agree! I've had four Moto phones in a row and have come to take great reception for granted. Motorola has never let me down in the reception department, even the Atrix, which at the end was a very buggy phone - but it always had great reception.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I told her she made my list of XPE dislikes. She was not impressed. Photo taken with the XPE.

View attachment 205892

Of course she wasn't impressed. She's a cat. My dog feels the same about my cat, who steals his bed, steals his food, and basically makes a mockery out of any pretense of canine superiority.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

I liken people who choose cats over dogs to people who choose the MXPE over the Note 5. Oh, you're a cat person, of course YOU are. Hahaha

Well I chose the MXPE over the Note 5 and I'm definitely a dog person - notice the avatar - Lol!

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

The size. Too big

Took a gamble after being on the fence about these large phones after having a moto X 2013 and I'm super pleased with the size. It's still so usable compared to like phones, especially people with the iPhone plus models. They can't believe I have more screen but a smaller phone! I still use it with one hand 90% of the time and can't comprehend the size of the og X now when I handle it

Johnny Barbrarelli

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

Alright, my phone is blowing up from this thread. The phone was a flop, I'm let down too guys. My 2014 had so many great qualities and now everything is falling to **** with this model, not to mention support as well. Come join me on the nexus side boys, the waters fine.

Posted via a different phone every time

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

Alright, my phone is blowing up from this thread. The phone was a flop, I'm let down too guys. My 2014 had so many great qualities and now everything is falling to **** with this model, not to mention support as well. Come join me on the nexus side boys, the waters fine.

K have fun. Remember to unsubscribe

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

tl;dr: hardware good, software bad

I've only had the XPE for a couple of days but my initial impressions are pretty much what I expected. Hardware is fine but the software never has enough customization options. The reason I use Android is for customization. Unfortunately, Google is locking down Android more and more and really is making it more iPhone-like. There are less and less options to customize the software with preferences. Why? If Google is dumbing-down Android for the unwashed masses then why can't they hide customization preferences under the super-secret Developer Options (or something similar)?

Of course, the real solution is rooting. Which is why I have rooted every smart-phone I've owned. I would prefer not to but many of the software choices made by Google and Motorola leave me no choice. And Motorola's policy of voiding (well, not really..."hardware" issues still honored) the warranty doesn't help. But, I'm going to wait for 6.0 to show up in case there are any issues.

What annoys me many not annoy you so please don't try to persuade me that my opinions are wrong. To each his own. Writing down my complaints is therapeutic and prevents me from taking out my frustrations on the wife and ending up in prison...so bear with my long-winded therapy session. Here is what I don't like:

1.No notification LED/Moto Display: beaten to death already. I much prefer an LED. I don't like how in a car the Moto display keeps coming on with every tiny bump. Very annoying. I keep the phone in a CD-slot cradle and the Moto display comes on constantly which is distracting.

2. No double tap on screen to turn it on or no physical key on front. Unlocking the phone is a pain. If I don't swipe down just right the screen goes dark and I have to shake the phone to get the lock to appear again. I selected "None" for screen lock but I guess that only applies to the power button. Using the power button to turn on the phone is awkward for me. I just want to press on the screen and have it turn on. I hate lock screens and never use them. I don't need another step between me and progress. Like the late, great Mitch Hedberg said (before his untimely suicide) "I don't need another step between me and toast."

3.Software menu/back keys sometimes disappear and you have to tap twice...once to get them to appear and another to activate them. Argg.

4.I have to swipe down twice to get the quick settings to appear. Double Argg. Double finger swipe sometimes works but awkward for my arthritic fingers.

5.What's with those grey half moon shapes that appear on the sides/top when you swipe and you are at the end of swipping territory? Like large, oversized, useless bump stops. Don't like them. Go away.

6.Ascending ringtone. Stupid. Hate it.

7.Can only get 64GB version through Motorola. I like buying hardware locally so if there is a problem I can take it back. Hate the shipping game. Only took 4 days to get it but prefer brick & mortar so I can pull it out and try it in the store to ensure all is ok before walking out the door. Don't care about color of phone. Black is fine. Don't need accent colors. It's a tool not a fashion accessory.

8. Dialer. Defaults to speed dial. Why not give us choice to default to keypad or contacts? Simple. Make everyone happy not just one group.

9.Would like to scroll through launcher pages in a continuous loop.

10.I don't like my cat. Has nothing to do with the phone but I like to take every opportunity to emphasize the point.

11.The recent apps card stack. What a mess.

12.In the swipe down quick settings menu no way to turn auto-brightness on/off.

13.No "reboot" in power button menu. Stupid Google.

14.Screenshot button combo awkward. Also on the dead horse pile.

Well, the rest of my complaints are more of the same. As you can see, most of my problems are with Google's dumbing down and over-simplification of Android. The XPE major complaint is the LED light/Moto display issue which is a personal preference; many people like it...many don't. Whatever. I knew the issue going in and this being my first Moto thought I may like it. Tried it. Don't like it.

Of course, once I root...just about every single one of these issues can be fixed. Which is the good news. Overall, I do like the phone. Nice screen, good size, great radios and speakers, quick and zippy interface, ok camera, etc. It's a keeper.

I'm just tired of Google. They are, after all, an ADVERTISING COMPANY first and foremost. Chrome, Android, Google Search...all tools to collect data in order to optimize ad injection. Sorry for the Google rant.

Thanks for listening.
I don't think all of those things require root to modify. A couple of them can be fixed in settings, I believe, they're just not the default, and some others can be fixed by a custom launcher like Nova.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Have fun! Live in peace and long live the cloud! Nah, forget the latter part of that :) ;)

Cats are cool
Dogs are cool
MXPE is cool

captainkirkw

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

My single biggest gripe about the size is the top heavy feel. The tear drop shape was perfect for the original Moto X, buy maybe not so good for such a tall phone.

I'm amazed at how much I can do one handed with this beast, but the top wanting to teeter out of my hand makes it a little precarious to try.

I held a Maxx 2 in-store. I wish they used that form factor with Pure specs for the Pure design. It's a little shorter, slightly lighter, so less top heavy. The lesser width (2.9") doesn't sound like much, but gives a noticeably more comfortable and assured grip for my hand.

I too find it top heavy. I better not check out the new Droids as that will drive me crazy. Although I would not swap since I am not on Verizon but hopefully next years Moto X will remedy the heft.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary