What do you NOT like about YOUR Moto X Pure Edition?

turbo93

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about the Moto X Pure Edition?

First post to this forum and welcome everyone. I bought a Motorola X Pure for my college daughter after her aging iPhone 5 had a liquid experience :). She kind of hates it being an Apple fangirl (Dad can I load apps on Android?) but she has warmed up to it. So I bought one for myself after my arthritic fingers and cataract eyes protested the 4" screen of my equally aging iPhone 5.

First two weeks - lots of getting used to it. The Migrate app does not work. Had to re-buy several apps (including a $8 backgammon app). I'm no stranger to Android or Lollipop as I am an embedded software developer and write code for car radios that deal with phones... Also have a Dell Venue 8 7000 Lollipop tablet.

What I don't like - size is an issue but even 5" is not much smaller. Micro USB is nowhere near Lightning. I wish USB Type C... Battery life is OK but with the insane charger not an issue. Pure Lollipop? Well, its too Pure for my taste so I have swapped out some apps for replacements. Texting is an issue, I tried every app and settled on Handcent only to run into MMS pic size issues. And phone gets warm - load GSam battery monitor to see how hot, maybe 105F to 110F if I charge and play Angry Birds at the same time. Stock media player is - for lack of a better word - unfriendly. Camera is good once you figure out what to do.

Build quality is very good, definitely flagship level. Display is extremely good, audio quality excellent with the right headphones, speed is a non issue (no slowdowns on, say, Angry Birds 2). Most issues I have are minor to trivial and are Lollipop specific.

Value wise it is exceptional. I'll be picking another for my younger kid as a graduation gift.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

First two weeks - lots of getting used to it. The Migrate app does not work. Had to re-buy several apps (including a $8 backgammon app).

Migrate app worked perfect for me, though i was coming from another Motorola (2013 Moto X.)

Google Play should remember what you've bought before. All I can think of is that I have a few apps from the Amazon App Store, and they obviously didn't reload when I did the Google restore. Other than that you may have bought a tablet-only version.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Migrate app worked flawlessly, but I was coming from another Motorola phone. As for apps, I had a game that did not transfer some extra features I had paid for or game progress. I went to Play store and found the developer email address and sent an email. The developer responded within 4 hours and told me how to remedy that and get what I had paid for and my progress. (The game was Blendoku.)

I have found most developers of better apps are glad to help when you have an issue. You should never have to pay again for an app purchased in the Play store.

Posted via the Android Central App

turbo93

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site

Migrate from iPhone supposedly asks for icloud user ID and password, never got that far. No apps or games bought on Google ecosystem.

But my concern for Google Play Music (and to some extent the rest of Lollipop) is more with human machine interface - my area of experience for the last 30 years. Material Design is not bad and is quite simple to understand and to program but the basic functionality needs to be better and/or more obvious.

There are some - I wouldn't say glaring but at least obvious - functionality gaps that are in Pure. Those are rectified easily with third party apps but it detracts a bit from the overall experience.

Mackemsteve

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site

There's nothing I don't like about it and a lot that I love. Coming from a Nexus 5 (original) running Marshmallow to this has been no backward step. I love the screen (especially ambient mode notifications) and actually love the battery life. I was constantly looking for a charge point with the Nexus, the Moto can get me through most of my day without breaking sweat.

Cam G

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site

First post to this forum and welcome everyone. I bought a Motorola X Pure for my college daughter after her aging iPhone 5 had a liquid experience :). She kind of hates it being an Apple fangirl (Dad can I load apps on Android?) but she has warmed up to it. So I bought one for myself after my arthritic fingers and cataract eyes protested the 4" screen of my equally aging iPhone 5.

First two weeks - lots of getting used to it. The Migrate app does not work. Had to re-buy several apps (including a $8 backgammon app). I'm no stranger to Android or Lollipop as I am an embedded software developer and write code for car radios that deal with phones... Also have a Dell Venue 8 7000 Lollipop tablet.

What I don't like - size is an issue but even 5" is not much smaller. Micro USB is nowhere near Lightning. I wish USB Type C... Battery life is OK but with the insane charger not an issue. Pure Lollipop? Well, its too Pure for my taste so I have swapped out some apps for replacements. Texting is an issue, I tried every app and settled on Handcent only to run into MMS pic size issues. And phone gets warm - load GSam battery monitor to see how hot, maybe 105F to 110F if I charge and play Angry Birds at the same time. Stock media player is - for lack of a better word - unfriendly. Camera is good once you figure out what to do.

Build quality is very good, definitely flagship level. Display is extremely good, audio quality excellent with the right headphones, speed is a non issue (no slowdowns on, say, Angry Birds 2). Most issues I have are minor to trivial and are Lollipop specific.

Value wise it is exceptional. I'll be picking another for my younger kid as a graduation gift.
I would suggest Textra as a good texting app! I use it currently on my S3 and plan on continuing to do so on my Moto XPE. Lots of customization and setting control and usually works flawlessly

turbo93

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it and loved the features but the editor box capability is lacking. I often send long texts to my kids or team mates and need good capabilities there.

If someone added arrow keys to the Google keyboard...

Ran_2015

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site

The after-sale service is bad. The screen is borken and the phone is totally not usable after I dropped it on the street. Now I have been 4 weeks phoneless since I sent it to the repair center of Moto -- by the way, I paid for the repair service. That's longer than they made my customized phone and delivered it from China. Anyways, hope I can get my phone in the 5th week.

Sean Cogan

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it and loved the features but the editor box capability is lacking. I often send long texts to my kids or team mates and need good capabilities there.

If someone added arrow keys to the Google keyboard...
Give the SwiftKey keyboard a look. It let's you add arrow keys, number row, etc.

turbo93

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site

Another option which I needed because of typing foreign languages is Multiling keyboard. Updating dictionaries in other languages is a pain but useful. Glad to see Android gives us those options...

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

The inconsistent camera! Don't get me wrong, I think the pure camera is very much improved over past Moto devices. It takes good photos and the color accuracy is terrific even compared to the g4 and s6. However the pictures are just not as crisp, IMO although you can zoom in on photos more than with the g4 or s6. It also lacks 60fps video support. .

SaintlySins

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site

The screen matrix doesn't line up with where I touch. Never seen anything like it, it's not consistently off in one direction, but randomly off in any direction ... Tech Support had me on Chat to reset and tweak the phone for 90 minutes, but to no remedy.
I also noticed the glass rises above the edges, so if someone with fatty fingers grabs the phone to take a picture, the screen will freeze, lock or jump into a previous screen ... therfore, the touch sensitivity runs right up to the very edge of the glass ... I've noticed the palm of my hand (thumb side) will sometimes touch the glass when Typing, Swyping, Slyding and screw with the spelling of words, therfore I've got to change my grip which makes for an uneasy feeling that the phone isn't secure in my hand and I'll drop it. Seeing his way easy it is to break the glass ... I err on the side of safety, stop working and readjust to fit the phone ... this is very unproductive and NOT a benefit in any way.

The pictures are OK ... but my old Note Edge was better, which is kinda sad.

I got a replacement from Motorola - and my issues are exactly the same.

What I will say that seems to be different than many posts on this and other forums - is that my experience with Moto Tech and Customer Support is very good! They are refunding my money and have offered a discount to any of their other phones as a replacement.

I had a good experience with the Note Edge, so I'm going back to Samsung, probably the Note 5. After using a co-workers OnePlus X ... I'd be all over that phone but only if I lived in an area that has good AT&T service, but Verizon owns most of the areas I travel and all the major highways so my choices are limited.

My two cents.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

The inconsistent camera! Don't get me wrong, I think the pure camera is very much improved over past Moto devices. It takes good photos and the color accuracy is terrific even compared to the g4 and s6. However the pictures are just not as crisp, IMO although you can zoom in on photos more than with the g4 or s6. It also lacks 60fps video support. .
Have you tried using the volume down button as a shutter button to see if there's any improvement in the results? (May help keep the device steadier.)

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

The biggest thing I don't like so far is that I can't figure out why my screen timeout keeps changing to 30 seconds.

I blamed Attentive Display, but I turned that off and the setting still changes pretty frequently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz