Motorola's Moto Display vs. Google's Ambient Display: Which one are you using?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Definitely moto display. I tried ambient out for a few hours but didn't like how it didn't react and let me unlock without using the power button when I pick it up like moto display does.

Sent from my XT1575

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Definitely moto display. I tried ambient out for a few hours but didn't like how it didn't react and let me unlock without using the power button when I pick it up like moto display does.

Sent from my XT1575

I didn't have this problem with my original Moto X, but I just got this phone today and Moto Display has already caused my phone to get unlocked in my pocket several times today and drained my battery quite a bit. Not to mention sending my mom a random location in the middle of the ocean. Boy, did that confuse her.

I turned it off while at work but back on at home. I'll give it another shot tomorrow, but I might have to just stick to ambient display if it doesn't improve.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have this problem with my original Moto X, but I just got this phone today and Moto Display has already caused my phone to get unlocked in my pocket several times today and drained my battery quite a bit. Not to mention sending my mom a random location in the middle of the ocean. Boy, did that confuse her.

I turned it off while at work but back on at home. I'll give it another shot tomorrow, but I might have to just stick to ambient display if it doesn't improve.
That could potentially be because of the Moto voice miss recognizing the launch phrase and activation in your pocket. I had that problem for a while back on the first gen. Just a thought

Sent from my XT1575

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
alright i'm a dumb [language removed] were are these settings and what do they do ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
That could potentially be because of the Moto voice miss recognizing the launch phrase and activation in your pocket. I had that problem for a while back on the first gen. Just a thought

Sent from my XT1575

I changed the phrase. Gonna see if that helps. Thanks.

duratime

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
What are you guys talking about? What are they and what's the difference? Sorry, don't have my phone yet, just want to figure out as much as I can before I get it.

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I like the Moto Display better. The ability to wave over the phone or tap it to show notifications and the time is useful to me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Sean_N69

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
From what I've discerned, ambient display doesn't work that way. Ambient display does exactly as its name implies; it gives you an 'ambient display' of your notifications. Also, I've noticed that ambient display doesn't seem to time out when it's activated—which is something that Motorola's moto display does. This might be why Google states that it uses so much more battery life. Moto display on the other hand gives you LED like notifications, constantly flashing on and off to alert you as to when you have pending notifications.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
One new thing with my MXPE that the Moto display in my Turbo didn't do is the ability to control music/podcast without turning on the screen.

Found this by accident yesterday.... Had a podcast going and when I touched my phone I could just slide up to the control bar of the podcast and pause it or start it.

Really cool feature! Quick and awesome!

Posted via the Android Central App

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Neither. They're both more annoying than useful. Most texts, emails, calls and such are better handled at my choice than the moment they arrive. Instead of being an electronic leash that every one else is yanking, my phone serves me the way I want, not serving me to others for their convenience.

Yes, some senders do have priority interruptions, but the vast majority of notifications are noise.

Turn down the noise.