03-30-2016 11:47 PM
73 123
tools
    Until you get the first $30 bill and freak out!
    Rooted my G3 and have WiFi tethering and never been charged the extra $30
    09-21-2015 06:39 PM
    This is correct. With their agreement they have with the FCC they have to allow any capable phone on their network.
    Awesome, I never knew this.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-21-2015 07:40 PM
    Until you get the first $30 bill and freak out!
    Doubt it would happen..
    Haven't heard of anyone being charged for this in the past through past loopholes. Let's say they did charge you $30....still better than tmobile forcing some of those who hack hotspot for heavy usage to move to a NON UNLIMITED plan.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    09-22-2015 08:49 AM
    That wouldn't be the worse thing. I could see Verizon not allowing the phone on their network anymore due to this (and wanting to boost sales of Verizon Droid lineup).

They would probably just ask Moto to "fix" it in an update. Verizon still wants your money
    09-22-2015 09:23 AM
    Here are the instructions to unlock the bootloader

Here are the instructions on rooting it

Here are the instructions to replace the bootloader logo screen after you root and unlock

Here are the instructions to enable the hotspot

Did I forget anything?

Oh yeah, in case you haven't noticed, some people are reporting that Motorola will not honor the warranty if you do all this to it. YMMV. I don't care about that, so I went ahead and did it.

And as for your question about receiving OTA updates...I would expect them to come right on over. My Nexus 9 is rooted and unlocked with stock Lollipop and it gets them.
    09-22-2015 05:07 PM
    I'm on the same old unlimited AT&T plan from the original iPhone release. While I've rooted in the past, any links to procedures to do it (root and edit prop file) on the new Moto X? The only reason I'm interested is to do what you just described. Otherwise I wouldn't bother w/ root. Will doing so mean I don't get OTA updates?

Sorry, I thought I quoted this when I posted up Post #30. All your instructions are there.
    monofurioso likes this.
    09-22-2015 05:11 PM
    Here are the instructions to unlock the bootloader

Here are the instructions on rooting it

Here are the instructions to replace the bootloader logo screen after you root and unlock

Here are the instructions to enable the hotspot

Did I forget anything?

Oh yeah, in case you haven't noticed, some people are reporting that Motorola will not honor the warranty if you do all this to it. YMMV. I don't care about that, so I went ahead and did it.

And as for your question about receiving OTA updates...I would expect them to come right on over. My Nexus 9 is rooted and unlocked with stock Lollipop and it gets them.
    Thanks so much for the links and detailed response! I'd read about the warranty issue myself, and it does leave me a bit concerned. If I were to pay for Squaretrade or the Motorola insurance, I wonder if this would prevent them from replacing a broken phone (ie a phone I dropped, etc).
    09-22-2015 08:19 PM
    Thanks so much for the links and detailed response! I'd read about the warranty issue myself, and it does leave me a bit concerned. If I were to pay for Squaretrade or the Motorola insurance, I wonder if this would prevent them from replacing a broken phone (ie a phone I dropped, etc).
    I don't think SquareTrade cares what OS you have. Theyre all about the hardware. Moto insurance would likely be a different story.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    monofurioso likes this.
    09-22-2015 08:54 PM
    So I just read online that if you use your stock Hotspot feature on this device it's free at least for Verizon users. I tried it and it does work but not sure for how long. It doesn't look for a subscription like other verizon phones do. Just passing the word along.
    nvoll84 likes this.
    09-23-2015 09:19 PM
    So I just read online that if you use your stock Hotspot feature on this device it's free at least for Verizon users. I tried it and it does work but not sure for how long. It doesn't look for a subscription like other verizon phones do. Just passing the word along.
    Yep I've been told this at two stores by verizon reps. I'm on the 6gig BYOD plan, and they essentially said "knock yourself out."

Posted via my Mate 7 or my Moto X Pure
    nvoll84 likes this.
    09-23-2015 09:27 PM
    Verizon has no control over the phone so the only way it will change is if Verizon forced Motorola to make an update where it won't work out of the box. But doing so, this may affect other carriers. However, I'm not sure how this would work because the MXPE is not tied to a specific carrier nor does it have any carrier coding in it.
    nvoll84 likes this.
    09-23-2015 10:12 PM
    Sorry, I thought I quoted this when I posted up Post #30. All your instructions are there.
    I went ahead and followed all the instructions, and I'm good to go with mobile hotspot! Fantastic, and thanks!
    YeahMon360 likes this.
    09-23-2015 11:43 PM
    I tried it for a bit when I first got the phone. I would only use it if I found myself in a hotel with bad wifi. Thank God for the unlimited plan!
    09-23-2015 11:51 PM
    I chickened-out, didn't root, and just switched my grandfathered AT&T UDP to the 5GB/month plan for $10 cheaper. Not a big deal as my work already pays this bill and I won't consume more than 5gb a month anyway.
    09-24-2015 06:55 AM
    Verizon has no control over the phone so the only way it will change is if Verizon forced Motorola to make an update where it won't work out of the box. But doing so, this may affect other carriers. However, I'm not sure how this would work because the MXPE is not tied to a specific carrier nor does it have any carrier coding in it.
    Simple flag setting to stop it and be network source specific, but should be just as easy to get around if rooted. Verizon knows not many folks overall root their device, so they will take the trade off. There is a reason Moto is going PR on the warranty void warning if rooted Carrier pressure seems obvious and Moto does not want to upset their main source for consumer sales- retail carriers.
    09-24-2015 07:52 AM
    Meh, I pay the $30/month (minus a discount) for MHS with my UDP. But I have noticed that it doesn't do the subscription check and connects faster.

Posted from my XT1575
    09-24-2015 08:01 AM
    Meh, I pay the $30/month (minus a discount) for MHS with my UDP. But I have noticed that it doesn't do the subscription check and connects faster.

Posted from my XT1575
    I also have unlimited, but I did not purchase the MHS option and now it is no longer available. I'd gladly pay the extra $30/mo per my two lines to enable this, but we'll see how long the free ride lasts.
    09-24-2015 09:37 AM
    I also have unlimited, but I did not purchase the MHS option and now it is no longer available. I'd gladly pay the extra $30/mo per my two lines to enable this, but we'll see how long the free ride lasts.
    I'd have to check, but I was able to add MHS to my 1400 minute talk, UDP sometime in the last two years. But I am still on contract until the end of this month (I renewed my plan on the "keep your UDP glitch" weekend in 2013). I was also able to up my text to Unlimited shared recently, when my wife discovered the joys of texting. Maybe I should see if I can add MHS to my wife's line before next week...
    09-24-2015 11:07 AM
    Just go to features within your account and you can add it.
    09-24-2015 11:08 AM
    Welp. My joy with unlocking, rooting and editing build.prop to get tethering to work on AT&T UDP now has a dark lining. It breaks Android Pay. It doesn't appear to work on a rooted Moto X.

Damn, always compromises.
    09-24-2015 09:15 PM
    Welp. My joy with unlocking, rooting and editing build.prop to get tethering to work on AT&T UDP now has a dark lining. It breaks Android Pay. It doesn't appear to work on a rooted Moto X.

Check this out...

https://koz.io/inside-safetynet/

I don't use my phone to pay, but I will try to get it to work. Some are saying to disable SU and try to add your card with success. I haven't verified that yet.

09-25-2015 05:54 AM
    Check this out...

https://koz.io/inside-safetynet/

I don't use my phone to pay, but I will try to get it to work. Some are saying to disable SU and try to add your card with success. I haven't verified that yet.

I unchecked SU within the app, then went back and it let me add my card to Pay. I then re-enabled SU, went back to Pay and card still shows, and I don't get that error anymore. Whether or not it works will be up to you to find out. I don't even know where I can use that service. lol

monofurioso likes this.
    09-25-2015 06:13 AM
    I unchecked SU within the app, then went back and it let me add my card to Pay. I then re-enabled SU, went back to Pay and card still shows, and I don't get that error anymore. Whether or not it works will be up to you to find out. I don't even know where I can use that service. lol

Thanks for poking around!

I'd also read about the SafetyNet system. I've seen folks able to do as you did, add a card by disabling SU, but then not able to actually make a payment at the point of sale. I'll let you know if and when I have a chance to test it out.
    YeahMon360 likes this.
    09-25-2015 06:39 AM
    Thought it would be useful for other folks to be aware of issues that could arise from the hotspot unlock/root hack... Especially since I wasn't before I made the changes.
    YeahMon360 likes this.
    09-25-2015 08:00 AM
    Thought it would be useful for other folks to be aware of issues that could arise from the hotspot unlock/root hack... Especially since I wasn't before I made the changes.
    Thanks for sharing .
    09-25-2015 09:11 AM
73 123