Is Mobile Hotspot unlocked on the Moto X Pure Edition?

owb2gp

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: Mobile Hotspot

Just received my bill. Same old bill I've been getting for years. Activated my new phone the 10th and my billing cycle is the 16th.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

Until you get the first $30 bill and freak out!

Go online and check your Verizon Bill every 48 hours or so, you should see if the MHS shows up or not.

I already have and pay for MHS. One thing I have noticed, unlike my Droid Maxx, is I do not get a "Checking Subscription" when I fire up MHS on the MXPE.

Posted from my XT1575

monofurioso

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I had to root, and add a line to the end of the build.prop file

net.tethering.noprovisioning=true

Now it works fine.

I'm on the same old unlimited AT&T plan from the original iPhone release. While I've rooted in the past, any links to procedures to do it (root and edit prop file) on the new Moto X? The only reason I'm interested is to do what you just described. Otherwise I wouldn't bother w/ root. Will doing so mean I don't get OTA updates?

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Until you get the first $30 bill and freak out!
Doubt it would happen..
Haven't heard of anyone being charged for this in the past through past loopholes. Let's say they did charge you $30....still better than tmobile forcing some of those who hack hotspot for heavy usage to move to a NON UNLIMITED plan.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

That wouldn't be the worse thing. I could see Verizon not allowing the phone on their network anymore due to this (and wanting to boost sales of Verizon Droid lineup).

They would probably just ask Moto to "fix" it in an update. Verizon still wants your money :) ;)

YeahMon360

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Here are the instructions to unlock the bootloader

Here are the instructions on rooting it

Here are the instructions to replace the bootloader logo screen after you root and unlock

Here are the instructions to enable the hotspot

Did I forget anything?

Oh yeah, in case you haven't noticed, some people are reporting that Motorola will not honor the warranty if you do all this to it. YMMV. I don't care about that, so I went ahead and did it.

And as for your question about receiving OTA updates...I would expect them to come right on over. My Nexus 9 is rooted and unlocked with stock Lollipop and it gets them.

YeahMon360

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm on the same old unlimited AT&T plan from the original iPhone release. While I've rooted in the past, any links to procedures to do it (root and edit prop file) on the new Moto X? The only reason I'm interested is to do what you just described. Otherwise I wouldn't bother w/ root. Will doing so mean I don't get OTA updates?

Sorry, I thought I quoted this when I posted up Post #30. All your instructions are there.

monofurioso

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Here are the instructions to unlock the bootloader

Here are the instructions on rooting it

Here are the instructions to replace the bootloader logo screen after you root and unlock

Here are the instructions to enable the hotspot

Did I forget anything?

Oh yeah, in case you haven't noticed, some people are reporting that Motorola will not honor the warranty if you do all this to it. YMMV. I don't care about that, so I went ahead and did it.

And as for your question about receiving OTA updates...I would expect them to come right on over. My Nexus 9 is rooted and unlocked with stock Lollipop and it gets them.

Thanks so much for the links and detailed response! I'd read about the warranty issue myself, and it does leave me a bit concerned. If I were to pay for Squaretrade or the Motorola insurance, I wonder if this would prevent them from replacing a broken phone (ie a phone I dropped, etc).

YeahMon360

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks so much for the links and detailed response! I'd read about the warranty issue myself, and it does leave me a bit concerned. If I were to pay for Squaretrade or the Motorola insurance, I wonder if this would prevent them from replacing a broken phone (ie a phone I dropped, etc).

I don't think SquareTrade cares what OS you have. Theyre all about the hardware. Moto insurance would likely be a different story.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Verizon Free Hotspot

So I just read online that if you use your stock Hotspot feature on this device it's free at least for Verizon users. I tried it and it does work but not sure for how long. It doesn't look for a subscription like other verizon phones do. Just passing the word along.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
So I just read online that if you use your stock Hotspot feature on this device it's free at least for Verizon users. I tried it and it does work but not sure for how long. It doesn't look for a subscription like other verizon phones do. Just passing the word along.

Yep I've been told this at two stores by verizon reps. I'm on the 6gig BYOD plan, and they essentially said "knock yourself out."

Posted via my Mate 7 or my Moto X Pure

Last edited:

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon Free Hotspot

Verizon has no control over the phone so the only way it will change is if Verizon forced Motorola to make an update where it won't work out of the box. But doing so, this may affect other carriers. However, I'm not sure how this would work because the MXPE is not tied to a specific carrier nor does it have any carrier coding in it.

nvoll84

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site

I tried it for a bit when I first got the phone. I would only use it if I found myself in a hotel with bad wifi. Thank God for the unlimited plan! :D

ThaNuts

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I chickened-out, didn't root, and just switched my grandfathered AT&T UDP to the 5GB/month plan for $10 cheaper. Not a big deal as my work already pays this bill and I won't consume more than 5gb a month anyway.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Verizon has no control over the phone so the only way it will change is if Verizon forced Motorola to make an update where it won't work out of the box. But doing so, this may affect other carriers. However, I'm not sure how this would work because the MXPE is not tied to a specific carrier nor does it have any carrier coding in it.

Simple flag setting to stop it and be network source specific, but should be just as easy to get around if rooted. Verizon knows not many folks overall root their device, so they will take the trade off. There is a reason Moto is going PR on the warranty void warning if rooted ;) Carrier pressure seems obvious and Moto does not want to upset their main source for consumer sales- retail carriers.