Why the hullabaloo over no fingerprint scanner?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have had it on my previous iPhone 6+ and my Galaxy S6 -- It was nice but it definitely isn't a "MUST have" for me.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There's hullabaloo over this?

Sounds like a non-issue.

Or a not a deal breaker for most buyers.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Not quite sure why this is in the Moto X Pure Edition forum since this phone doesn't even have a fingerprint reader. I think it's a valid discussion but it might have a wider audience in another forum.

YeahMon360

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
There's hullabaloo over this?

Sounds like a non-issue.

Or a not a deal breaker for most buyers.
Seems like every review and forum you read into, there is someone griping about the lack of a fingerprint reader, and how it sways them from buying the device, and it's a dealbreaker, and the end of the smartphone world, etc etc etc.

Not quite sure why this is in the Moto X Pure Edition forum since this phone doesn't even have a fingerprint reader. I think it's a valid discussion but it might have a wider audience in another forum.
Please see above.

pinoymutt

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I have one on my laptop (Lenovo X1 Carbon) and I've found it to be more trouble than it's worth sometimes, and much faster to just type in my password.

Different strokes for different folks, and I won't worry about it until the time that Google starts actually requiring it for something (hopefully never)...

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
A lot of apps, especially anything with banking or spending money will be using it in the future. This year I'm going to say no big deal but if the 16 X doesn't have one then I might think about looking elsewhere. Those Moto options though....

Posted via the Android Central App

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Personally it's great to have fingerprint security for the convenience and you can have a strong alphanumeric backup password. Nowadays with so much info on my mobile like last pass and so much info in my emails I would love to have my phone as secure as possible with fingerprint instead of smart lock or 4 digit pin.

Obviously I'm talking about situations where you lose or some one steals your phone kind of situation, so that you make it hard for them to get in the phone before it wipes by itself or me remote wiping. The government/law enforcement can get this info that's a different story but for regular use cases fingerprint adds ease of logging into phone and apps with being fairly secure and hard to get your info easily when you lose your phone.

I understand where reviewers coming from especially after using terrific fingerprint scanners on iPhones and Samsung phones this year. At least new Nexus phones have fingerprint so it would be hard to justify Moto X if the Nexus is in the same price range. We will know Tuesday!!!

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I have one on my laptop (Lenovo X1 Carbon) and I've found it to be more trouble than it's worth sometimes, and much faster to just type in my password.

Different strokes for different folks, and I won't worry about it until the time that Google starts actually requiring it for something (hopefully never)...

Yeah and I don't use touchscreen phones because my 8 year old Fujitsu laptop has a terrible trackpad.... Please don't tell me this is your reason for avoiding a fingerprint reader.

pinoymutt

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah and I don't use touchscreen phones because my 8 year old Fujitsu laptop has a terrible trackpad.... Please don't tell me this is your reason for avoiding a fingerprint reader.
Nah, just my point is that I find it more of a novelty than a necessity.

Sent from my hot red leather clad Moto X Pure Edition using Tapatalk

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
This thread is very odd because people approach this issue very differently apparently.

Is your fingerprint considered data or a password? The intent of OEM's (apple, android, laptops whatever) is your fingerprint is a password although people here are treating it as data.

Think of it this way, are you scared of the evil hackers getting your password or the data protected by your password? By itself your password is meaningless i.e. I tell you the password on my phone is "!@#$%^" and that does you absolutely no good.

I completely understand your fingerprint has larger implications than just unlocking a phone and is unique identification to you, but at the time writing this, stealing fingerprints as a form of identity theft is the stuff of movies. Unless you work in a nuclear weapons facility odds are someone having your fingerprint is about as valuable to them as your "!@#$%^" password.

That all being said, IMO the usefulness and validity of a fingerprint reader on a phone should be measured by security and convenience. The fundamental questions are:

If you use a fingerprint are people more likely to steal your data than if you used a password?
Is the fingerprint reader more convenient than a password or pin?

I just find it funny people are so worried about their fingerprint getting stolen yet they'll access their banks from their phone and they feel secure doing that. There's even a thread of people up in arms because they had to set a lock screen (even just a pattern unlock) to use android pay and they think that's crazy.

YeahMon360

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
This thread is very odd because people approach this issue very differently apparently.

Is your fingerprint considered data or a password? The intent of OEM's (apple, android, laptops whatever) is your fingerprint is a password although people here are treating it as data.

Think of it this way, are you scared of the evil hackers getting your password or the data protected by your password? By itself your password is meaningless i.e. I tell you the password on my phone is "!@#$%^" and that does you absolutely no good.

I completely understand your fingerprint has larger implications than just unlocking a phone and is unique identification to you, but at the time writing this, stealing fingerprints as a form of identity theft is the stuff of movies. Unless you work in a nuclear weapons facility odds are someone having your fingerprint is about as valuable to them as your "!@#$%^" password.

That all being said, IMO the usefulness and validity of a fingerprint reader on a phone should be measured by security and convenience. The fundamental questions are:

If you use a fingerprint are people more likely to steal your data than if you used a password?
Is the fingerprint reader more convenient than a password or pin?

I just find it funny people are so worried about their fingerprint getting stolen yet they'll access their banks from their phone and they feel secure doing that. There's even a thread of people up in arms because they had to set a lock screen (even just a pattern unlock) to use android pay and they think that's crazy.

It is a mixed bag, isn't it?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Between trusted devices (like my Moto keylink) and trusted places I enter my 6 digit pin maybe twice a day. I have little interest in a fingerprint reader to reduce that to once per day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781