Unlocking the Bootloader will VOID the warranty on the Moto X Pure Edition (Confirmed by Motorola)

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/cda80927a1?commentId=982820#982820

Matt (Forums Manager)

posted September 16, 2015 by Matt (Forums Manager)ÜBERXprt (12,000+ points)

The new (2015) Moto X Pure is not a developer edition, so unlocking the bootloader does void the warranty. Sorry about the lack of clarity on this. We've been using this answer but I was double-checking it before posting.

There we go. At least now we know (but that kind of sucks).

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Official confirmation: Unlocking voids warranty

Which makes sense considering Moto went through the effort to script a parity check to see if firmware changes and a scripted response if it does.

Moto better update to add the LED as an option for notifications rather than the current battery excessive way of an entire display. "Pure" stupid IMO with an LCD display to not at least have the option.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for looking into this!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Which makes sense considering Moto went through the effort to script a parity check to see if firmware changes and a scripted response if it does.

Moto better update to add the LED as an option for notifications rather than the current battery excessive way of an entire display. "Pure" stupid IMO with an LCD display to not at least have the option.

Nope on the LED.

bholt6

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
So, if you unlock the bootloader and then relock it, do you regain your warranty?

On most phones there's usually a work around to accomplish this. Since you submit your IMEI to Motorola to get the unlock code, they know...whether you relock or not. Will they put up much fuss? I'm not familiar enough with them to say.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It might void the warranty in the sense that if you bricked your phone in the root process then motorola wouldn't cover it. But if the power button stops working then it still should covered under warranty.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Clocks,

Thanks for getting clarification from Motorola. FYI, I registered my Moto Pure with Motorola under MY STUFF at

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

My warranty stated that it was valid till September 2016

Then, I requested the bootloader unlock token and unlocked.

It's been 4 days and my warranty still shows valid till September 2016

However, this would give me pause before purchasing the $79.99 extended service plan from Motorola, since they could claim it too isn't valid after unlocking the bootloader.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Clocks,

Thanks for getting clarification from Motorola. FYI, I registered my Moto Pure with Motorola under MY STUFF at

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

My warranty stated that it was valid till September 2016

Then, I requested the bootloader unlock token and unlocked.

It's been 4 days and my warranty still shows valid till September 2016

However, this would give me pause before purchasing the $79.99 extended service plan from Motorola, since they could claim it too isn't valid after unlocking the bootloader.

Why are they asking you to signup (NOTE: You will be asked to sign up/register for My Moto Care to continue on.) if you unlock the bootloader? Doesn't unlocking the bootloader void your warranty?

pinoymutt5

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
So, if you unlock the bootloader and then relock it, do you regain your warranty?

Supposedly even if you relock -- there is supposed to be a message that says it was relocked.

Also, if you read the fine print of the bootloader request, I believe if you even submit the string to receive the bootloader unlock key -- that action in itself voids the warranty, even if you don't actually unlock the bootloader on the phone because as far as the Moto system is concerned, you requested the key and unlocked the bootloader. Now do they actually enforce this -- who knows? But they've built themselves some leeway in being able to deny a warranty request if they want to....

(BTW - I was the OP on the Moto forums link pressing them to finally answer :D)

pinoymutt5

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
So which one allows rooting without avoiding warranty? One plus two?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Yep -- but dealing with Oneplus is a whole other bag of tricks if you ever want actually need to deal with their RMA group. (I came from a Oneplus One).

You should read horror stories of their tech support not responding to repeated emails (I don't believe they have phone support) for warranty claims, only to then ask for ridiculous things like photos (like for touchscreen issues) and other tricks to try and deny exchanges.