Ascending Volume for Ringtones and Notifications?

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
What the heck, Moto? Did someone really request ascending volume as a feature? We should be able to turn it off. It might be nice for a phone ringtone, but for a notification, it really doesn't help AT ALL.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Ascending Volume

What the heck, Moto? Did someone really request ascending volume as a feature? We should be able to turn it off. It might be nice for a phone ringtone, but for a notification, it really doesn't help AT ALL.

I never noticed ascending volume for a notification.

Posted via my Royal Blue/Champagne Frame Moto X... Unlimited on Verizon as well!

trenchkato

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

From what I understand it's not so much ascending volume but its a "feature" to protect the speaker from people who have the ring volume turned all the way up. It doesn't work well if you ask me but I understand.

Posted via the Android Central App

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

This was present on the Nexus 6 too, so I assume this is Google's decision for Lollipop?? I didn't have a previous nexus running LP, so I can't compare, but would Google allow Moto to add this "feature" to THEIR Nexus?

trenchkato

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

This was present on the Nexus 6 too, so I assume this is Google's decision for Lollipop?? I didn't have a previous nexus running LP, so I can't compare, but would Google allow Moto to add this "feature" to THEIR Nexus?
Never happened on the n5.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Lightshield

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Speaker Delay

I know people have lamented "ascending ringtone" on both this phone and the Nexus 6, but my experience with the Pure is that it's more like the speakers go to sleep in between uses.

Like, if it's been sitting for a little bit, something as simple and trying to change the volume... where you get the little beep each step so you know how loud it is... will almost always miss the first beep or two until the speakers "wake up", then it seems fine.

This also leads to ringtone starting out very quietly and then ramping up, and I think it's also making me miss text message alerts because the "wake up time" is the same length as my text tone.

Does it seem to be that way with your Moto X Pure?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Speaker Delay

Definitely not a fan of the ascending volume for the ring tone. I haven't experienced any issues with notifications. I didn't realize at first they used the ascending ring tones and could hear the speakers "pop" a faint bit when the ring tone started. Not sure if they "go to sleep" (don't see how they could though) but if your that concerned you can either swap it or use a third party app that will boost the volume.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I experience the delay, and it's awful. You can definitely miss a 1 second text notification! This should certainly be a control that the user should be able to override.

Lightshield

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site

I went through 4 or so Nexus 6's, and I had this delay on 2 of them, but not the others. So I'm really wondering if it's a luck-of-the-draw hardware defect with Motorola's speakers, or maybe some kind of audio driver issue. No idea, but it's SO annoying.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

The behavior you're describing sounds about right: If I've had a notification, call, any audible alert or activity recently, the sounds are fine. But after a lull, they come in gradually. I can see the benefit with a ringtone, but I personally find it really annoying, and super easy to miss a notification sound.

funkeruski

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Download the "disable increasing ring" app from the play store to work around this. Works great for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cjzurcher

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm trying the disable increasing ringtone app, but you could also try adding 5 seconds of silence with something like Audacity, a free music program that you could also use to turn any mp3 into a ringtone if you wanted.