I returned my 16GB Moto X Pure Edition because it wasn't enough space for me

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: How can Anyone Survive with just a 16 GB XPE?

I've been ranting and raving about this for years now haha. 16gb is just not enough with today's apps and the way phones are used now. Sure there's always gonna be some people who swear that 16gb is enough... But there's also people who drive around totally happy without air conditioning in their car... 32gb should be the absolute bare minimum. That being said, my 64gb Moto X Pure has well over 80 apps/games, a bunch of pics and video (haven't installed an SD card yet), music and more... And I just passed 32 entire GBs free :) It's such a freeing experience haha.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

If the 2015 G had the same radio set up as the X Pure, I wouldn't be in these threads. And it maxes out at 16 GB on board and 32 GB external.

Posted from my XT1575

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

https://www.androidpit.com/android-m-release-date-news-features-name android m will turn this phone into a beast only about a month or so hopefully until it's out on this phone 16gb with an SD will no longer be an issue.

So aside from the fact that I never rely on what an update "plans" to make happen, and the fact that in the past, SD cards have ran into various issues for me... I wonder what happens with Adaptive storage if a card dies/gets corrupted/just simply taken out. I'd imagine it's gonna mess things up pretty weirdly and unpredictably with this new storage system?

Pinkmonkey78

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site

I have a 16 gig model so far I still have 9 gigs. Left I keep my apps to a min. and I have a 128 gig sd card for photos and music so I'm not worried.

Michael Harchaoui

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

I just got the XPE 3 days ago, after spending most of the last 5 years with Apple iOS. I've already got about 90 Apps installed and just a touch over 16GB left in my 32GB XPE. And I'm saving media to an SD card, so if I had ordered a 16GB model, I'd be done already. I'm pretty surprised I filled it up so quickly.

- What can I do differently to use less internal memory?
- Maybe there are some changes I should have made in the Settings that would have been more efficient?
- What makes up all that Cached Data?

View attachment 198545

Just clear the app data cache. It's taking up 1.20 gb.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Base model phones should be 32GB for anything mid to high end range, the only time we should be seeing 16GB is on low end phones and those should never be 8GB as they often are. Apps are getting too big, data is too expensive and who wants to add and delete apps let alone photos all the time to make room. Of course no one shows greed better than Apple when it comes to a 16GB phone. Seriously $549 for what you get is a crime, even a Moto X Pure 16GB is $399.99 and you can customize it and get microSD slot. This says it best https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...oto-x-style%2FCompareMotoX.pdf&token=cdSbSLLc

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Base model phones should be 32GB for anything mid to high end range, the only time we should be seeing 16GB is on low end phones and those should never be 8GB as they often are. Apps are getting too big, data is too expensive and who wants to add and delete apps let alone photos all the time to make room. Of course no one shows greed better than Apple when it comes to a 16GB phone. Seriously $549 for what you get is a crime, even a Moto X Pure 16GB is $399.99 and you can customize it and get microSD slot. This says it best https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...oto-x-style%2FCompareMotoX.pdf&token=CQJiBQa6

Agree mostly -- If they include an SD card slot I can see why they throw in a 16 GB area (to drop the price). If they don't though .. 32 GB should be the base model.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I bought a 16 GB without checking to see what the storage was, and have had a good experience with it so far as I have about 10 apps I actually use. I cleared out the apps I don't and couldn't be happier. For hard core users I wouldn't recommend a 16.

Rich A78

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
What no one seems to have asked or covered here is WHY is 6.5GB missing... Android 5.1.1 is not 6.5GB of space !!! I currently have a Nexus 5 (1st gen) 16GB and after the OS there is 12.55GB free - this shows that Android OS is NOT 6.5GB...nearer half that! What have Moto possibly added that could take up another 3GB?!?!

Now lets take into account there are some pre-installed apps from Google (and Moto) - before I add anything of my own on my N5 11.5GB remains, on the Moto X Pure 7.5GB!

After installing LESS apps on my new Moto than on my Nexus I am down to 4GB !!! On a 16GB phone this is frankly unacceptable - yes I know you can add with SD but really I should not have to do this with a brand new phone. The N5 I currently have has over 3500 photos totaling 7GB and I still have space left - having a 16GB phone has never been a problem to me in the past, I am really disappointed and Motos response was frankly just a cop out.

cdubb1

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Do not get the 16gb option.

Yeah this is why 16GB should just be banned everywhere. Wonder how people use 16GB without SD cards.

(Yeah and before anyone mensions this ... Cloud isnt the same)

Sent from S3 via Tapatalk App.
I've always had 16gb. I don't store anything on the phone though really.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
What no one seems to have asked or covered here is WHY is 6.5GB missing... Android 5.1.1 is not 6.5GB of space !!! I currently have a Nexus 5 (1st gen) 16GB and after the OS there is 12.55GB free - this shows that Android OS is NOT 6.5GB...nearer half that! What have Moto possibly added that could take up another 3GB?!?!

Now lets take into account there are some pre-installed apps from Google (and Moto) - before I add anything of my own on my N5 11.5GB remains, on the Moto X Pure 7.5GB!

After installing LESS apps on my new Moto than on my Nexus I am down to 4GB !!! On a 16GB phone this is frankly unacceptable - yes I know you can add with SD but really I should not have to do this with a brand new phone. The N5 I currently have has over 3500 photos totaling 7GB and I still have space left - having a 16GB phone has never been a problem to me in the past, I am really disappointed and Motos response was frankly just a cop out.

Simple when moto did the partition. That is the allotted space they left themselves. This could be to support future updates or a number of other reasons. When you bought the phone you bought a phone with 16gig memory. Moto didnt lie to you.. They just didn't specifically tell you how much usable room you would have left over to put your stuff... If you messed up and 16 isn't enough return it in the aloted time and get the 32 or the 62 like I did. Easy enough..

Posted via the Android Central App

Rich A78

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I realize that no phone comes with 16GB left due to OS and other considerations... but I wouldn't say I "messed up" either... I was not expecting over 8GB to be used before I install anything considering my current phone had 4GB more available out the box... thats not a small difference.

One of the main reasons I got this phone (and the reviews were good) was the "lack of bloatware"... so I was not expecting a 4GB difference in out the box available space. Thats on par with the overly bloated Samsung. When you consider that a 21MP camera is going to create some hefty pic sizes that extra 4GB would sure come in handy!

IF I hold on to the phone I may just buy an SD card since most my additional space will just be needed for photos mainly... I would be interested to see what the new N5X has free out the box. I am undecided whether to keep it... on first use the device is notably heavier and more 'slippery' and hard to grip

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Simple when moto did the partition. That is the allotted space they left themselves. This could be to support future updates or a number of other reasons. When you bought the phone you bought a phone with 16gig memory. Moto didnt lie to you.. They just didn't specifically tell you how much usable room you would have left over to put your stuff... If you messed up and 16 isn't enough return it in the aloted time and get the 32 or the 62 like I did. Easy enough..

Good explanation. I also was expecting the XPE to have about as much free space as the N5. Was slightly disappointed that it was less. I was getting close on the N5 to using all but 2-3 gb of free space. Like to keep that much open for updates, temporary usage, etc. Honestly was getting to the point where I needed 32 gb, so I wasn't upset that I had to swap to the 32 gb XPE.

Rich A78

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Agree, currently close on my N5 too, but now I only have 4GB left to play with on this new phone without either changing it for a 32GB or buying SD.

Rich A78

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Good explanation. I also was expecting the XPE to have about as much free space as the N5. Was slightly disappointed that it was less. I was getting close on the N5 to using all but 2-3 gb of free space. Like to keep that much open for updates, temporary usage, etc. Honestly was getting to the point where I needed 32 gb, so I wasn't upset that I had to swap to the 32 gb XPE.

Out of interest how are you enjoying it compared to the N5... I have only just had the phone a day but I find it substantially heavier and more difficult to grip (given both the increased size and the smooth sides and less grippy back to the N5)... IF I keep it I may just buy an SD card once I need the extra room... at least it does have that option unlike the N5... it was a close call between buying this and the N5X with fingerprint recognition (lacking on this phone) and pure Android... but the reviews for this phone were generally better and I had hoped that given the suggested lack of bloatware I would have had decent storage hence why I am feeling a little negativity towards the phone right now.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I like the XPE. The size and weight do take some time to get used to. The screen and sound are superior. Camera is better than the N5, but undoubtedly not as good as N5X. The Moto utilities; voice, active display, etc. almost make up for the lack of fingerprint recognition. An SD card will mitigate the storage issue if your storage mainly consists of pics or videos. Those are easily stored and managed via SD. My storage leans more to apps so I needed 32gb.

Give yourself the 14 day return window to get used to the phone. If you can't by then, odds are you never will.

Cam G

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I was planning on getting the 16GB version with a 64GB SD card but now I'm not so sure. Maybe I need 32? I can't decide because I do use a lot of apps and adaptable storage scares me a little

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I was planning on getting the 16GB version with a 64GB SD card but now I'm not so sure. Maybe I need 32? I can't decide because I do use a lot of apps and adaptable storage scares me a little

Always get more. ..here's why:

1) 16gb is nothing, will fill up before you know it
2) Your phone needs empty space to do its thing in the background, or performance will suffer. Rule of thumb, 50% full, 50% empty for maximum performance.
3) Resale value. ..much easier to sell a higher gb phone than a smaller one and for more $$$
4) More space, more you can do with your phone
5) Internal memory will far outperform any SD card, and much more reliable. Use SD card for storage of photos, music, movies, etc...Keep everything else on phone, for maximum performance and maximum reliability.

Posted via the Android Central App