Where do Android updates come from and are you concerned with support from Motorola going forward?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: Future updates

I have no doubt the 2015 x will get updated to whatever comes out through next year (6.1?). Marshmallow is really a polishing of lollipop, and the previews ran great on my nexus 6. I wouldn't be upset getting stuck on 6.0 as much I would bring stuck on 5 or 5.1.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

One way or the other, the carrier always technically has the last say on what they will allow to run on their network. If you think Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc can't block an update being pushed to your device on their carrier you're kidding yourself. Technically a Nexus on Carrier XYZ doesn't get updated unless Carrier XYZ allows it. It's why there is a difference in speed between Google releasing images for you to flash yourself vs getting an OTA update.

If you want to be sure you can get updates, even if you have to flash it yourself, get a Nexus. Same as always, plain and simple. Just bear in mind that faster is not always better. Unless you want to tinker, sometimes getting it first only to have to roll back, isn't a good thing.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

One way or the other, the carrier always technically has the last say on what they will allow to run on their network. If you think Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc can't block an update being pushed to your device on their carrier you're kidding yourself. Technically a Nexus on Carrier XYZ doesn't get updated unless Carrier XYZ allows it. It's why there is a difference in speed between Google releasing images for you to flash yourself vs getting an OTA update.

If you want to be sure you can get updates, even if you have to flash it yourself, get a Nexus. Same as always, plain and simple. Just bear in mind that faster is not always better. Unless you want to tinker, sometimes getting it first only to have to roll back, isn't a good thing.

Exactly the issue with the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. It was never updated. I swore off carrier phones after that debacle.

Except for Apple somehow they get away with pushing updates whenever they feel like it. Annoys me that Android can't get to this point.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the reply and the 6p is really the phone I want out of the two as I just think the bigger battery will be so much better than the one on the Style/Pure but it is the worry about getting burn in on that Amoled screen which is putting me off and I just don't know what to do :) One day I think right it is the 6p then I read on the 6p forum about possible burn in then I think no I will get the Style and then I read mixed user reports on battery life! And so it goes on and I am still no closer to a decision :) the Style would be kinder to my pocket at £360 for a 32gb as opposed to £499 for a 64gb 6P as I feel the 64gb on the 6p would be better due to no sd card even though at present I have an Xperia Z3 with only 16gb and an sd card and the card is almost empty so maybe a 32gb 6p would be ok I am not sure.

I do like the thought of the phone getting software updates and I know the 6p will.

It is amazing how difficult it is to decide on a new phone when I only have two to choose from :)

No burn in on Samsung's latest gen panels :)
And they're amazing in every other aspect too

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

No burn in on the newer panels ! That sounds promising but I would like to read an official statement stating that.
Don't think they'd ever give a statement saying their older phones had burn in problems. But if you just search online the user reports aren't as frequent as on past models

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Don't think they'd ever give a statement saying their older phones had burn in problems. But if you just search online the user reports aren't as frequent as on past models

So they aren't as frequent which to me means it still happens.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I am not getting the emphasis on Android updates. Kitkat was probably the best overall update and that got trumped in a bad way by Lollipop with less battery life (opposite of what was touted) and the ART app system that takes at least 15% more storage space since the app cores are not compressed- this results in a minimal performance boost, but results in more RAM used and less storage space.

Now we are being touted the "grace and wonder" of Marshmallow. Similar spin and hyperbole of Lollipop- that did not exactly pan out. The reality is the same hardware with an update, but the real key is firmware settings that the device maker creates. Firmware has more impact than anything else and even that has a quick point of diminished returns.

The actual OS is not as prominent as iOS, since Apple has just a micro fraction of the devices to design for, so their updates are both firmware and software. Still prefer Android, but the point is not the same weight for updates and they too have a diminished return.

Summary point is I am not sure if the Android OS update should be a main concern beyond 18 months. JMO.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the reply and the 6p is really the phone I want out of the two as I just think the bigger battery will be so much better than the one on the Style/Pure but it is the worry about getting burn in on that Amoled screen which is putting me off and I just don't know what to do :) One day I think right it is the 6p then I read on the 6p forum about possible burn in then I think no I will get the Style and then I read mixed user reports on battery life! And so it goes on and I am still no closer to a decision :) the Style would be kinder to my pocket at £360 for a 32gb as opposed to £499 for a 64gb 6P as I feel the 64gb on the 6p would be better due to no sd card even though at present I have an Xperia Z3 with only 16gb and an sd card and the card is almost empty so maybe a 32gb 6p would be ok I am not sure.

I do like the thought of the phone getting software updates and I know the 6p will.

It is amazing how difficult it is to decide on a new phone when I only have two to choose from :)

No sd card is a no go

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01