10-21-2015 09:38 AM
34 12
tools
    Just wondering how we will get updates for this phone, obviously not from carrier. How will it be pushed by Motorola? Usually gets done from carrier.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-19-2015 06:54 PM
    Probably very similar to Nexus updates. I would think they will still work with the carrier like google does with the nexus. You don't get the update from the carrier but they still work with them and do carrier specific updates when necessary.
    09-19-2015 07:14 PM
    Will it notify us of an update is available? Or will it automatically update it?

09-19-2015 07:23 PM
    Will it notify us of an update is available? Or will it automatically update it?

Well assuming it works like a nexus being stock android and all it will download the update and then prompt you to install it at your convenience.
    09-19-2015 07:40 PM
    Some points.

An OEM has to be working on an update in order for the update to be fast.

Lollipop 5.0 burned Motorola. They admitted they went "too fast".

The Moto X Pure Edition is still going to go through carrier labs. Just like the Nexus. Just like last year's second gen Moto X Pure Edition.

Updates were always from OEMs. On the carrier models, the carriers approved the update but they were still pushed from the OEM.
    09-19-2015 07:44 PM
    Some points.

An OEM has to be working on an update in order for the update to be fast.

Lollipop 5.0 burned Motorola. They admitted they went "too fast".

The Moto X Pure Edition is still going to go through carrier labs. Just like the Nexus. Just like last year's second gen Moto X Pure Edition.

Updates were always from OEMs. On the carrier models, the carriers approved the update but they were still pushed from the OEM.
    Marshmallow already testing internally
    Ry, Laura Knotek and VoltaicShock like this.
    09-21-2015 09:10 PM
    Marshmallow already testing internally
    Thank you.

Makes sense too. Motorola has "early access".
    09-21-2015 09:35 PM
    Do you guys feel confident that this phone will receive software updates in a timely manner, as aposed to what you get from a carrier branded device. I've got my current Droid maxx from Verizon, and in the 2 years I've had it, only 2 updates have been pushed, and they were maintenance updates. Also it's still running Kitkat 4.4. Carries suck big time.

VoltaicShock likes this.
    10-16-2015 06:46 PM
    I'm certainly no expert but since this is basically stock android and not carrier branded at all I'd assume we'll get just about any update that is rolled out for Android...
    10-16-2015 07:09 PM
    It's been reported that Moto has sent out invitations for a soak test that is likely 6.0. If it is and they are already pushing the soak test or will do so soon I'd say we would see 6.0 by the end of the month or the first week of so of next month. That is pretty darn fast and I have no doubt Moto will keep the update schedule flowing quick.
    droidman2177 likes this.
    10-16-2015 07:27 PM
    It's currently in a private test drive for beta testing. If that goes well in a few weeks there will be a soak test for marshmallow. That's according to David Schuster on Google plus.
    10-16-2015 08:21 PM
    Thanks all for the insight. How do they pick for a soak test?

10-16-2015 11:06 PM
    You need to opt in on the Motorola forums website. They have step by step procedure to follow.

10-16-2015 11:28 PM
    You need to opt in on the Motorola forums website. They have step by step procedure to follow.

Thanks, will do.

10-16-2015 11:33 PM
    I'm certainly no expert but since this is basically stock android and not carrier branded at all I'd assume we'll get just about any update that is rolled out for Android...
    That assumption was made for the past Moto Xs. And now Moto reneged on updates for anything older than 2015. And even some 2015 phones aren't getting updates
    10-16-2015 11:34 PM
    Hmmm I am on the verge of buying this phone but I don't want to buy a phone if the updates stop very quickly, I know it is getting marshmallow but will it get anything after that I wonder.
    10-17-2015 03:11 AM
    Hmmm I am on the verge of buying this phone but I don't want to buy a phone if the updates stop very quickly, I know it is getting marshmallow but will it get anything after that I wonder.
    I wouldn't trust them after what they did. If you want updates get the 6P
    10-17-2015 03:31 AM
    I believe some of the phones which aren't getting updates are some of the carrier locked ones with Verizon for example complicating factors.

The Moto X Pure/Style isn't a Nexus but it should be good for at least 2 years updates in my opinion.
    10-17-2015 04:34 AM
    I wouldn't trust them after what they did. If you want updates get the 6P
    Thanks for the reply and the 6p is really the phone I want out of the two as I just think the bigger battery will be so much better than the one on the Style/Pure but it is the worry about getting burn in on that Amoled screen which is putting me off and I just don't know what to do One day I think right it is the 6p then I read on the 6p forum about possible burn in then I think no I will get the Style and then I read mixed user reports on battery life! And so it goes on and I am still no closer to a decision the Style would be kinder to my pocket at £360 for a 32gb as opposed to £499 for a 64gb 6P as I feel the 64gb on the 6p would be better due to no sd card even though at present I have an Xperia Z3 with only 16gb and an sd card and the card is almost empty so maybe a 32gb 6p would be ok I am not sure.

I do like the thought of the phone getting software updates and I know the 6p will.

It is amazing how difficult it is to decide on a new phone when I only have two to choose from
    10-17-2015 05:05 AM
    Moto already stated which phones would be getting Marshmallow and actually most of the list is older than 2015. Given there are more phones that should be on this list, but to say they aren't updating anything older than 2015 is just not true. I can't post the link to the moto blog, but that's where this list is from.

◦2015 Moto X Pure Edition (3rd gen)
    ◦2015 Moto X Style (3rd gen)
    ◦2015 Moto X Play
    ◦2015 Moto G (3rd gen)
    ◦2014 Moto X Pure Edition in the US (2nd gen)
    ◦2014 Moto X in Latin America, Europe and Asia2 (2nd gen)
    ◦2014 Moto G and Moto G with 4G LTE2 (2nd gen)
    ◦DROID Turbo
    ◦2014 Moto MAXX
    ◦2014 Moto Turbo
    ◦Nexus 6
    anon(19981) likes this.
    10-17-2015 11:27 AM
    I have no doubt the 2015 x will get updated to whatever comes out through next year (6.1?). Marshmallow is really a polishing of lollipop, and the previews ran great on my nexus 6. I wouldn't be upset getting stuck on 6.0 as much I would bring stuck on 5 or 5.1.
    10-17-2015 11:36 AM
    One way or the other, the carrier always technically has the last say on what they will allow to run on their network. If you think Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc can't block an update being pushed to your device on their carrier you're kidding yourself. Technically a Nexus on Carrier XYZ doesn't get updated unless Carrier XYZ allows it. It's why there is a difference in speed between Google releasing images for you to flash yourself vs getting an OTA update.

If you want to be sure you can get updates, even if you have to flash it yourself, get a Nexus. Same as always, plain and simple. Just bear in mind that faster is not always better. Unless you want to tinker, sometimes getting it first only to have to roll back, isn't a good thing.
    sharkita and Ntchwaidumela like this.
    10-17-2015 11:53 AM
    One way or the other, the carrier always technically has the last say on what they will allow to run on their network. If you think Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc can't block an update being pushed to your device on their carrier you're kidding yourself. Technically a Nexus on Carrier XYZ doesn't get updated unless Carrier XYZ allows it. It's why there is a difference in speed between Google releasing images for you to flash yourself vs getting an OTA update.

If you want to be sure you can get updates, even if you have to flash it yourself, get a Nexus. Same as always, plain and simple. Just bear in mind that faster is not always better. Unless you want to tinker, sometimes getting it first only to have to roll back, isn't a good thing.
    Exactly the issue with the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. It was never updated. I swore off carrier phones after that debacle.

Except for Apple somehow they get away with pushing updates whenever they feel like it. Annoys me that Android can't get to this point.
    10-17-2015 08:55 PM
    Thanks for the reply and the 6p is really the phone I want out of the two as I just think the bigger battery will be so much better than the one on the Style/Pure but it is the worry about getting burn in on that Amoled screen which is putting me off and I just don't know what to do One day I think right it is the 6p then I read on the 6p forum about possible burn in then I think no I will get the Style and then I read mixed user reports on battery life! And so it goes on and I am still no closer to a decision the Style would be kinder to my pocket at £360 for a 32gb as opposed to £499 for a 64gb 6P as I feel the 64gb on the 6p would be better due to no sd card even though at present I have an Xperia Z3 with only 16gb and an sd card and the card is almost empty so maybe a 32gb 6p would be ok I am not sure.

I do like the thought of the phone getting software updates and I know the 6p will.

It is amazing how difficult it is to decide on a new phone when I only have two to choose from
    No burn in on Samsung's latest gen panels
    And they're amazing in every other aspect too
    10-17-2015 11:43 PM
    No burn in on Samsung's latest gen panels
    And they're amazing in every other aspect too
    No burn in on the newer panels ! That sounds promising but I would like to read an official statement stating that.
    10-18-2015 03:16 AM
34 12