Does Moto Display Trigger in a Pocket - Killing Battery or Sending Random Texts?

Peter Rokkos

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
First time I'm using a Moto X phone with the Moto Display sensor operations letting you see notifications with a wave of the hand. I'm liking some aspects of it so far but a little worried about its impact on battery life.

Seems like a few a few others have commented that they tried a few days with Moto Display off. I'm assuming that means waving your hand over the device won't activate your notifications, is that right? Anyone think that disabling this would materially change battery life? My goal is to make it through a moderate to fairly heavy usage work day - and I'm initially a little disappointed that I don't think I can get there without some effort to minimize options and usage.

I assume it also disables the chopping and twisting to activate camera and flashlight.

Specifically, I carry the phone in a pocket most times. Do the sensors get activated in my pocket? I have visions of my phone constantly working in my pocket killing battery life. Also, I've seen others comment about sending random texts like this. Anyone comment on if that has happened?

Is it worth killing Moto Display for this? By the way, the Moto web site says it knows not to work in your pocket.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I turned it all off since prefer battery life over stuff I see IMO as bling. I notice the battery life improvement with the Pure and is not a placebo.

trenchkato

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
First time I'm using a Moto X phone with the Moto Display sensor operations letting you see notifications with a wave of the hand. I'm liking some aspects of it so far but a little worried about its impact on battery life.

Seems like a few a few others have commented that they tried a few days with Moto Display off. I'm assuming that means waving your hand over the device won't activate your notifications, is that right? Anyone think that disabling this would materially change battery life? My goal is to make it through a moderate to fairly heavy usage work day - and I'm initially a little disappointed that I don't think I can get there without some effort to minimize options and usage.

I assume it also disables the chopping and twisting to activate camera and flashlight.

Specifically, I carry the phone in a pocket most times. Do the sensors get activated in my pocket? I have visions of my phone constantly working in my pocket killing battery life. Also, I've seen others comment about sending random texts like this. Anyone comment on if that has happened?

Is it worth killing Moto Display for this? By the way, the Moto web site says it knows not to work in your pocket.

The proximity sensor keeps your screen off while in your pocket or when it's turned face down.

Posted via the Android Central App

nvoll84

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Well my proximity sensor is having issues because I've taken my pure out of my pocket with the screen on and asking me to retry my voice search. Also I've picked my phone up off the table from being face down and had the screen on and not showing moto display. Might turn off Moto Display for awhile and see how it goes.

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Well my proximity sensor is having issues because I've taken my pure out of my pocket with the screen on and asking me to retry my voice search. Also I've picked my phone up off the table from being face down and had the screen on and not showing moto display. Might turn off Moto Display for awhile and see how it goes.

I just tried it sitting next to me on the couch, hold your hand over the sensors the display will turn on , now hold your hand their and it will turn off until you move your hand and then it turns back on for second. So its not really staying on it just looks that way.

As for your screen on and asking for retry voice search you might need to change your launch phrase to use more words (stronger phrase)

nvoll84

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Just picked my phone up from being face down on my desk for several minutes and it is showing the photo I was looking at on Facebook last, the last thing I did with the phoe. Set it down and picked it up a second later and it showed moto display as it is should.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I had to turn Moto Display off because my phone was constantly turning on in my pocket and sending random texts to people. Not to mention draining a bunch of my battery in the process.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I've never had a problem with this on the mxpe, 2014 x, or 2013 x. I always keep my phone in my pocket with the screen facing my leg and never had even so much as an accidental unlock let alone a text go out.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I've never had a problem with this on the mxpe, 2014 x, or 2013 x. I always keep my phone in my pocket with the screen facing my leg and never had even so much as an accidental unlock let alone a text go out.

I never had this issue on my Moto X 2013 but it was a frequent issue on my 2015. That is, until I just turned it off.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not having this issue with my Moto X Pure Edition.

I did not have this issue with my first gen Moto X.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
It does happen to me with my 2013 Moto X when enough light gets into my pocket. The phone is almost always upside-down with the screen facing my leg.

It only caused about 2 “butt-dials" in the 1st year I had the phone and none since. More commonly I have ended up with pocket pics. And lately it usually goes in the clock settings and my leg unchecks "use network date and time" option.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Haven't had it happen with my MXP, but it did happen with my N6 while using ambient display.

Posted via the Android Central App

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I never had it turn on in my pocket but it is too sensitive for me when sitting on my desk. It picks up every little movement and keeps turning on even when I am not trying to turn it on. So I turned it off. It does not affect any of the other gestures you may choose to use. But it still works! All I do now is give it a little nudge, or pick it up and it comes right on! Also when I pull it out of my pocket it turns on automatically but it is not on while in my pocket.