Will using the TurboPower charger (Quick Charge 2.0) hurt my battery over time?

Tristan944

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Does Turbo charging reduce battery life over the course of ownership? How many recharge cycles can the battery do and maintain most of its original factory charge?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Battery lifespan with Turbo

The answer is yes, but depends on usage, sustained heat (cumulatively), rate of forced charge and battery cell quality. It will be interesting to see how the batteries are doing next summer. If the device did not have a fixed battery I would use it more. Sure you can get the battery replaced, but you lose your phone for a while with all your data and wait for it to be fixed. Seems dubious to me, but JMO.

I have seen some posts rationalizing that it force charges through 70% and then slow for the final 30%. That would help regression for the charge cycle calculation and battery full charge threshold, but does not in any form help the capacitance lifespan of the cells. 70% forced charge might as well be 100% in that regard. It will impact the battery, but a lot of factors noted as to how much. Could be a little or a lot.

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Battery lifespan with Turbo

Every modern battery now in days has quick charge. I dont think moto would risk it , from going from 2.0 to 25W just to sound good . I have chromebook that charges really fast and is 2 years old and still last as long as day one.

All battery tools use quick charge and work fine , not everyone in the world can be wrong

There is reason they call them smart charges

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
After 10 months will the Droid Turbo, I can say that Turbo charging has had NO negative impact on my battery. I put it on the charger every night at bed time. Of course, that's the Turbo, but I see no reason the Pure would be any different.

Posted via the Android Central App

65fastback

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery lifespan hurt by using Turbo Charger?

It'll have no effect. Its all on how the battery is made and if its meant to be fast charged. Otherwise, Tesla's would be dead on the side of the road everywhere.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

It'll have no effect. Its all on how the battery is made and if its meant to be fast charged. Otherwise, Tesla's would be dead on the side of the road everywhere.

Assuming there are Teslas even around. :p I've never seen one. :/

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I've noticed no appreciable decline in the capacity of the battery on my Nexus 6, which I've had for quite a while. Granted, I only use the Turbo Charger when I need a quick shot of juice. I use a Qi wireless charging pad pretty much the rest of the time.........which gets the phone WAY hotter than the Turbo Charger LOL.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

It's the heat that is detrimental, not necessarily the rate at which the battery is charged. Unfortunately, in many cases, rapidly charging a battery produces excess heat. So if they can get these batteries to charge rapidly, or quickly, or whatever you want to call it, and keep them cool while doing so, then it "should" have little or no negative effect!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Based on feedback I've read from actual owners of the second gen Moto X, DROID TURBO, and Nexus 6, I have no concerns that TurboPower/Quick Charge will significantly decrease my battery's lifespan vs. using non-Quick Charge charging.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

This question has been debated on these forums since the first 'turbo charged' product was available. More heat has been developed on this topic than the combined heat of all the cell phones on their turbo chargers. You decide the answer based on the same way you decide if Donald Trump' hair is real or if Tom Brady is the greatest QB ever - who do you believe. Lot of good honest people have expressed facts and opinions on both sides of the question. From all the posts, I doubt one person has changed sides. Pick your side and charge full speed ahead. If you like the phone, you get turbo power. If you don't like turbo, you get a different phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You need to get out more. Even here in Indiana, Telsa has a sales location in the upscale mall. They are nice looking cars.

I wouldn't say that is a fair statement. Just because you see them around doesn't mean it is the same for every other state :).

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Based on feedback I've read from actual owners of the second gen Moto X, DROID TURBO, and Nexus 6, I have no concerns that TurboPower/Quick Charge will significantly decrease my battery's lifespan vs. using non-Quick Charge charging.

This. I've had a Turbo Charger for my 2014 from day one with no issues...until friggin Lollipop showed up that is. M, please come soon!!

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

I wouldn't say that is a fair statement. Just because you see them around doesn't mean it is the same for every other state :).

My apologies to any one who was offended or crossed the line on fairness. Those individuals who are knowledgeable about Indiana realize we are far from the cutting edge on introduction of advanced products and technology. It was meant as humor.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This. I've had a Turbo Charger for my 2014 from day one with no issues...until friggin Lollipop showed up that is. M, please come soon!!

What is wrong with L? I am not seeing any issues on my Pure Edition in regards to L.