What chargers are you using with your Moto X Pure Edition?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I have tried an assortment ranging from 1amps to 2 amps (Apple, Motorola, Samsung, generic). It appears though I am wrong and it is not Moto's fault, but the Qualcomm 2.0 quick charge spec. For a charger to be assured to not charge at USB speed, it needs to be "Qualcomm 2.0 Quick Charge" certified. Now, does that mean it will only charge super fast, or super slow? No normal in between? Yes, 102 degrees is too warm IMO. Perhaps if I did not used to work in this industry and our customer service and quality teams constantly "negotiate" with customers over these things I would be Ignorance is Bliss. I turned it off on the Note 4 as well.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about the Moto X Pure Edition?

I have tried an assortment ranging from 1amps to 2 amps (Apple, Motorola, Samsung, generic). It appears though I am wrong and it is not Moto's fault, but the Qualcomm 2.0 quick charge spec. For a charger to be assured to not charge at USB speed, it needs to be "Qualcomm 2.0 Quick Charge" certified. Now, does that mean it will only charge super fast, or super slow? No normal in between? Yes, 102 degrees is too warm IMO. Perhaps if I did not used to work in this industry and our customer service and quality teams constantly "negotiate" with customers over these things I would be Ignorance is Bliss. I turned it off on the Note 4 as well.

Yes the charger must be QC 2.0 Certified. I used my car charger this weekend at a tournament. I went from 30-70%+ in about 20 minutes. It was very nice so I didn't have to sit out in the car (I forgot my battery pack at home .. That is what I get for rushing for no reason lol).

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Yes the charger must be QC 2.0 Certified. I used my car charger this weekend at a tournament. I went from 30-70%+ in about 20 minutes. It was very nice so I didn't have to sit out in the car (I forgot my battery pack at home .. That is what I get for rushing for no reason lol).

I have a Motorola fast charger for the car. Ironic if my best charge cycle is during my 30 minute drive home ;)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Using Ampere to check on some things. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.gombosdev.ampere&hl=en&token=l8-K6k7E

Plugged into my Monoprice 4-port 2.1A charger (using only the port labeled 2A): 930 mA (temp reported at 87 degrees)

Plugged into the TurboPower 25: 1980 mA (temp reported at 88 degrees)

Phone was 70%.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I have a Motorola fast charger for the car. Ironic if my best charge cycle is during my 30 minute drive home ;)

Fast charger, not a Quick Charge compatible charger, correct?

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site

I just found out something interesting that i'm not sure exactly what it means. I have a Vinsic 40w 5 port charger rated at 8 amps and a Lenovo tablet charger rated at 1.5a and both will show "Charging on AC" if I use a certain thicker USB cable I have around and both say "charging on USB" if I use a thinner i.e. cheaper I guess. I have no idea what USB cable goes with on came with what. So it seems the cable has a lot to do with the quality of the charge.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Fast charger, not a Quick Charge compatible charger, correct?

Actually the four year old Motorola fast charger is seen as AC by the Pure, so ironically does look like my optimum charge cycle will be on my way home from work. I need wall chargers that will allow a normal charge. Not fast and not slow. Silly thresholds for the spec and wondering if by design by Qualcomm to force the charge method, but apparently Motorola is in partnership with this spec.

Added: Found one! The 2 amp charger from Samsung charges as a normal wall charger :) No other 2 amp I have tested though does, but the Samsung. It is one I use at work. The other Samsung chargers at home are not 2 amp.

Last edited:

huntnyc

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Actually the four year old Motorola fast charger is seen as AC by the Pure, so ironically does look like my optimum charge cycle will be on my way home from work. I need wall chargers that will allow a normal charge. Not fast and not slow. Silly thresholds for the spec and wondering if by design by Qualcomm to force the charge method, but apparently Motorola is in partnership with this spec.

Added: Found one! The 2 amp charger from Samsung charges as a normal wall charger :) No other 2 amp I have tested though does, but the Samsung. It is one I use at work. The other Samsung chargers at home are not 2 amp.
Could you give a link where I can get this exact charger and thanks.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

That's weird. Like I said in another post, my 1.35A charger from my Nexus 7 charges normally. So do the two 2.1 chargers I have. In fact, the only charger I've tried so far that shows up as USB charging is the .85A charger from my Kindle. Anything I've tried over 1A charges normally.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

That's weird. Like I said in another post, my 1.35A charger from my Nexus 7 charges normally. So do the two 2.1 chargers I have. In fact, the only charger I've tried so far that shows up as USB charging is the .85A charger from my Kindle. Anything I've tried over 1A charges normally.

Agreed. The output is correct on the chargers (I was hoping it was a case of false power specs). My wife's Razr Maxx HD is picky, but charges fine with the same ones tested. Confirmed though that 2 amp Samsung chargers charge as AC and not USB. I have two of those, so am good :) That BTW is with the white Samsung cable and charger. I will test at home if the cable is also part of the factor. I will try other micro usb cables with the Samsung 2 amp charger.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Could you give a link where I can get this exact charger and thanks.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Car charger that works as AC:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Vehi...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4701391

Wall charger that works as AC:

Amazon.com: Original OEM Samsung Micro USB Sync Data Cable with 2.0 Amp Travel Wall/Home Charger Adapter For Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S2 4G, Note 1, Note 2 Smartphones and much more: Cell Phones & Accessories

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site

I have a Vinsic 5 port smart charger and a Lenovo 1.5a charger that both show "charging on ac" when I use a certain USB cable and "charging on USB" when I use a different USB cable. So it seems that the cable used is an important part of the process. I have several USB cables around and I've never bothered to keep them with a certain charger and have purchased many cables separately.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I have a Vinsic 5 port smart charger and a Lenovo 1.5a charger that both show "charging on ac" when I use a certain USB cable and "charging on USB" when I use a different USB cable. So it seems that the cable used is an important part of the process. I have several USB cables around and I've never bothered to keep them with a certain charger and have purchased many cables separately.

It's interesting that you mention the cable. When I first got my Nexus 6, I hated how short the stock USB cable was, so I grabbed a six footer I had laying around. The phone didn't charge anywhere near as fast with the long cable as it did with the stock cable, so I went back to the OEM cable.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

The cable is a big factor it turns out. Even the non fast charge Samsung power supplies work as AC with a different cable. Only a few cheapo chargers did not work. Samsung cables work for sure and I also have a generic black cable that works fine too. Some cables in summary can mean USB charge and ditto for cheap power supplies. That said, they all work fine with my other devices, but the Moto Pure.

Still, I was wrong in my high threshold assertion. The firmware/chipset could be seeing power draw/impedance issues with certain cables and charges at USB to be safe. Motorola are likely doing this the right way as a result. Upon reflection, duh.

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site

I wonder if this discussion about the cable was why Motorola chose to have a molded end charger setup. Of course not this specific discussion but having a molded cable/charger setup certainly ensures the correct cable is used.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

I wonder if this discussion about the cable was why Motorola chose to have a molded end charger setup. Of course not this specific discussion but having a molded cable/charger setup certainly ensures the correct cable is used.

Likely not, because when you buy a spare turbo charger from Motorola (which I did), the usb is detachable. Same with the QC Moto auto charger: Detachable usb. If it was that important, wouldn't all their chargers would be unibody construction?

Posted via my Mate 7 or my Moto X Pure

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Likely not, because when you buy a spare turbo charger from Motorola (which I did), the usb is detachable. Same with the QC Moto auto charger: Detachable usb. If it was that important, wouldn't all their chargers would be unibody construction?

The Moto X Pure Edition ships with the TurboPower 25. You currently can't get it without buying a Moto X.

The other one is the TurboPower 15 which is the one with the detachable USB cable.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

The Moto X Pure Edition ships with the TurboPower 25. You currently can't get it without buying a Moto X.

The other one is the TurboPower 15 which is the one with the detachable USB cable.

Interesting... Noted!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital