Coming from a nexus 5 it was a fun surprise to find how many Google apps I could uninstall and disable like Google earth and play books.

The 1 app I want to disable is the built in messaging app. Anybody find a way to ditch it without rooting?

It's certainly not the end of the world but I like to keep things clean. I don't want to switch launchers to hide the icon and rooting is not an option at the moment.

I also know how to set the default SMS app so that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    09-23-2015 09:38 PM
    I think if you disable the stock messaging app you will have issues receiving texts. I just disable the notifications on the stock app and hide it from my app drawer....and use Textra.
    09-23-2015 09:50 PM
    I can't disable it and I've already set hangouts as my default SMS app so I'm not worried about losing anything.

09-23-2015 09:54 PM
    I can't disable it and I've already set hangouts as my default SMS app so I'm not worried about losing anything.

Out of curiosity, once you default to an alternate app, what is the purpose behind "disabling" the stock one? Sincere question not being snarky.

Posted via my Mate 7 or my Moto X Pure
    09-23-2015 10:25 PM
    Out of curiosity, once you default to an alternate app, what is the purpose behind "disabling" the stock one? Sincere question not being snarky.

Posted via my Mate 7 or my Moto X Pure
    Not seeing it in the app drawer mainly. Certainly not a big issue but I know I'm not alone in trying to hide/disable apps.
    09-23-2015 10:28 PM
    I think if you disable the stock messaging app you will have issues receiving texts. I just disable the notifications on the stock app and hide it from my app drawer....and use Textra.
    I'm not sure with the MXPE but this is what happened with other Moto phones. You need to keep the stock app for a third party one to work. Some people had serious problems after rooting and uninstalling it.

I'm with alphabets, disable notifications and hide it with a custom launcher. Better safe than sorry.
    alphabets likes this.
    09-23-2015 10:36 PM
    I just disable the notifications on the stock app and hide it from my app drawer....and use Textra.
    If you set your third party massaging app of choice to be the default SMS app, there is no need to disable anything. Your SMS, MMS, and messages all come through fine. You just have to look at the stock app in your app drawer. But that's no different than disabling notifications.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-24-2015 08:39 AM
    You can just set your default messenger and you're good. No need to mess with notifications or anything in Stock .
    Attached Thumbnails Can I disable the stock Messaging app?-1443102159303.jpg  
    isdaako likes this.
    09-24-2015 09:42 AM
    You can just set your default messenger and you're good. No need to mess with notifications or anything in Stock .
    Yep, that's what I do. I just take the extra step of moving the slider within the stock messaging app to off. More of a placebo effect I guess more than anything
    09-24-2015 11:30 AM
    I also know how to set the default SMS app so that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks

As I already said, I switched my default sms app right away when I set up the phone. I'm wanting to disable/uninstall the stock app.

For example, I installed the google camera app and then disabled the moto camera, now I only have 1 active camera app and don't have to bother with 2.
    09-24-2015 12:49 PM
    no, you can't.
    09-25-2015 03:42 PM
    "No, you can't", short and sweet! That's probably the best and most true answer. I don't believe you can either. And to answer someone else's question about why someone would want to disable it altogether after you've already made another installed sms app default- The answer is:

Even if you make another installed app default the phone will still give you the factory message app as the first option if you "share" a photo/video/etc. Also even though you chose the installed app as default, the factory message app will still always give you notifications even after blocking the notifications.

It's unnecessary duplication, and like SoCold mentioned, no need for two apps being on your phone when you clearly do not want one of them.
    02-17-2016 10:43 AM
    "No, you can't", short and sweet! That's probably the best and most true answer. I don't believe you can either. And to answer someone else's question about why someone would want to disable it altogether after you've already made another installed sms app default- The answer is:

Even if you make another installed app default the phone will still give you the factory message app as the first option if you "share" a photo/video/etc. Also even though you chose the installed app as default, the factory message app will still always give you notifications even after blocking the notifications.

It's unecessary duplication, and like SoCold mentioned, no need for two apps being on your phone when you clearly do not want one of them.
    02-17-2016 10:44 AM
    02-17-2016 11:08 AM
    rowoodrow, both of your attachments come up as 'Invalid', maybe because you don't have enough posts in this forum.

Anyway, just like socold said earlier, I set Hangouts as the Default when I first got the Pure and have just ignored the Messenger icon in the Apps drawer till today. Was interested enough to open it just now and see all my SMS activity is there (probably no MMS, though I didn't check).

Interesting though, that when I opened Settings for Messenger, it says at the top that SMS is disabled but I guess it doesn't matter that the Messenger app itself isn't.
    02-17-2016 12:00 PM
    Nova Launcher Prime allows you to hide apps in the app drawer, if you're stuck on not seeing it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Edit: never mind, I see you don't want to switch launchers...
    02-23-2016 03:48 AM
    Moto X 2nd / Marshmallow. I use non-stock messaging app, and cannot disable stock. This was causing doubled notifications. So I blocked notifications from stock. Settings > apps > messaging > notifications > block.
    03-13-2016 12:38 PM
    I use Google Messenger rather than the stock one. Somewhere in Settings under Default Apps you can tell the system which app to use.
    03-13-2016 01:16 PM
    I have been using Handcent since I got my Pure and no issues...
    03-14-2016 12:19 AM
    I just installed google messenger and it asked me to set as default, I did that and now my moto messaging doesn't give me notifications anymore, it's that simple.

Posted from outer space on my Moto X Style
    03-14-2016 05:17 PM
    Google Messenger is my stock. It don't like being replaced.
    03-14-2016 05:21 PM
    Moto X 2nd / Marshmallow. I use non-stock messaging app, and cannot disable stock. This was causing doubled notifications. So I blocked notifications from stock. Settings > apps > messaging > notifications > block.
    Odd. Switching from the Motorola Messaging client to Google Messenger doesn't cause duplicate notifications on the third gen Moto X.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    03-14-2016 09:58 PM
    Sorry, my mistake. It was Motorola Messaging, not Google Messenger. I installed Textra and made it the default. I was getting double notifications. So I blocked notifications from Motorola Messaging. Odd, yes, but since then no trouble one way or the other.
    03-14-2016 10:16 PM
    Sorry, my mistake. It was Motorola Messaging, not Google Messenger. I installed Textra and made it the default. I was getting double notifications. So I blocked notifications from Motorola Messaging. Odd, yes, but since then no trouble one way or the other.
    Thanks. I was getting duplicate messaging on both Android messenger and The Verizon Messenger(which is FAR SUPERIOR). and some messages were not even getting to my preferred app. I have disabled notifications from the stock app so hopefully now I'll only get them from the Verizon App. I'll keep you updated.

Ps i am with T-Mobile and the Verizon Messenger still works.
    11-11-2016 10:12 PM
    Hi all,

I'm adding to this thread because it relates to the search I was doing based on the same line of question. So I use the Google Pixel XL and wanted to disable the stock Android Messaging app. I really like the Verizon Message+ app (don't judge, LOL). I was worried about the same things if I disabled the stock messaging app, especially whether I'd still receive SMS/MMS appropriately.

Method: disabled stock Android Messaging using system settings "Disable" in app management, then rebooted the phone.
    Outcome: so far I am able to send and receive both SMS and MMS without any problem, still using the Verizon Message+ app. Additionally, I use a Chrome app called "Join," to sync between my PXL and PC, so I can send/receive SMS/MMS easily at work, without picking up my phone.

Anyway, just wanted to add my experience to the thread since it most closely matched the search I had going for my own question. I hope something I shared helps somebody. Thanks for reading.

Cheers,
    Scott
    04-29-2017 05:53 PM