Wi-Fi Calling: T-Mobile

Dylan Gorski

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I've read that people using the Nexus 5 (2013) running developer previews of 6.0 have been able to use WiFi calling on T-Mobile with no problem. A T-Mobile rep also said on Twitter that the Nexus 5 (2015) will work with WiFi calling on T-Mobile once it's on the network. Anybody know if the Moto X Pure will get WiFi calling with 6.0?

Posted via the Android Central App

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Re: Will the Moto X Pure Edition get T-Mobile WiFi Calling with Android 6.0?

I've read that people using the Nexus 5 (2013) running developer previews of 6.0 have been able to use WiFi calling on T-Mobile with no problem. A T-Mobile rep also said on Twitter that the Nexus 5 (2015) will work with WiFi calling on T-Mobile once it's on the network. Anybody know if the Moto X Pure will get WiFi calling with 6.0?

I haven't heard of this, where did you hear this from? I thought T-Mobile had to push something out for WiFi calling to work on a device?

I can test it out once I get 6.0 next week.

Dylan Gorski

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

That's the way it worked for the Nexus 6 but from the exchange below and everything else I've seen from them, it'll work once you put your sim card in and turn it on in the settings. No update required.

Attachments

• 62318.jpg
    62318.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 289

Dylan Gorski

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Also this one from @askdes.

Attachments

• 62319.jpg
    62319.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 284

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

These tweets are talking about the Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P. Is there anything about the Moto X?

I just hope Moto gets Band 12 enabled. That would be awesome in my area.

Dylan Gorski

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

That's what I'm trying to figure out. If the 5X and 6P will work out of the box on T-Mobile's WiFi calling without a specific T-Mobile build or update, will that be the same for any unlocked phones running 6.0.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

If it's something that has to be turned on for the Moto XPE, where in the settings would you turn it on/off?

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

If it's something that has to be turned on for the Moto XPE, where in the settings would you turn it on/off?

I don't think it is a setting. T-Mobile has to register the device on their end for Band-12 after it is certified.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I just spoke with a TMO tech and she checked this out. The WIFI calling feature is normally hardwired into the device, but can also be added through the device's software. It is currently NOT AVAILABLE on the Moto XPE running 5.1.1. She explained that it is likely to be added via a software update, since this phone is not hardwired for it. She wasn't able to confirm that it would be added in the Marshmallow 6.0 update for our device, but, from all I've read, it is likely that it will be included. We can only hope. We'll probably get the update within a couple of months (if that long), so we probably won't have to wait long to see if WIFI calling on TMO is included. It may still come down to TMO rolling out something specifically for the Moto XPE, though.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I just spoke with a TMO tech and she checked this out. The WIFI calling feature is normally hardwired into the device, but can also be added through the device's software. It is currently NOT AVAILABLE on the Moto XPE running 5.1.1. She explained that it is likely to be added via a software update, since this phone is not hardwired for it. She wasn't able to confirm that it would be added in the Marshmallow 6.0 update for our device, but, from all I've read, it is likely that it will be included. We can only hope. We'll probably get the update within a couple of months (if that long), so we probably won't have to wait long to see if WIFI calling on TMO is included. It may still come down to TMO rolling out something specifically for the Moto XPE, though.

Once the MXPE gets Android M the WiFi calling built into that will work with T-Mobile -- band 12 is still unknown.

Dylan Gorski

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Once the MXPE gets Android M the WiFi calling built into that will work with T-Mobile -- band 12 is still unknown.

I believe you but can you post a link to where you got that from? I'm excited that FINALLY WiFi calling on T-Mobile will work on unlocked phones running 6.0! Fixes one of the major problems with bringing your own phone to T-Mobile and fixes a major problem I had with the Moto X. All around great news!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I believe you but can you post a link to where you got that from? I'm excited that FINALLY WiFi calling on T-Mobile will work on unlocked phones running 6.0! Fixes one of the major problems with bringing your own phone to T-Mobile and fixes a major problem I had with the Moto X. All around great news!

I read it on Twitter like you :). Hopefully we will get Android M soon and we can test it out for ourselves.

Dylan Gorski

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

I read it on Twitter like you :). Hopefully we will get Android M soon and we can test it out for ourselves.

Just had my hopes shot down by a T-Mobile product engineer. He tweeted back to my question about this and said, "Nope. That's a T-Mobile feature that we work with interested partners on. Not everyone wants to take on the work (there's lots)".

Dylan Gorski

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Just had my hopes shot down by a T-Mobile product engineer. He tweeted back to my question about this and said, "Nope. That's a T-Mobile feature that we work with interested partners on. Not everyone wants to take on the work (there's lots)".

Here's the screenshot.

Attachments

• 62328.jpg
    62328.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 207

Tyrane Lewis

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site

I spoke to Motorola Tech yesterday and they said it will have the WiFi Calling Feature once updated to Android 6.0, but wasn't concrete on will it work. They transferred me to the Google tech and they said inside Android 6.0 will be the WiFi calling feature which is now a standard feature for all devices that can upgrade to it and all you have to do is turn on the feature in the Call section of your phone settings. When i asked about Our Moto XPE on T-Mobile.
I was then transferred to their T-Mobile Tech contact. And damn if they didn't confuse it even more... :-( she said she wasn't sure and doubt that it will work being it wasn't a T-Mobile Device... I Asked why not when the unlocked Nexus 6 & Moto XPE have same bands and communication hardware...
she had no answer to that... so i am sending My custom Moto XPE back until Android 6 i released and someone on T-Mobile that has one can confirm it works. WiFi Calling is very Critical to me at my job locations in side my 5 Schools I am responsible for.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

I spoke to Motorola Tech yesterday and they said it will have the WiFi Calling Feature once updated to Android 6.0, but wasn't concrete on will it work. They transferred me to the Google tech and they said inside Android 6.0 will be the WiFi calling feature which is now a standard feature for all devices that can upgrade to it and all you have to do is turn on the feature in the Call section of your phone settings. When i asked about Our Moto XPE on T-Mobile.
I was then transferred to their T-Mobile Tech contact. And damn if they didn't confuse it even more... :-( she said she wasn't sure and doubt that it will work being it wasn't a T-Mobile Device... I Asked why not when the unlocked Nexus 6 & Moto XPE have same bands and communication hardware...
she had no answer to that... so i am sending My custom Moto XPE back until Android 6 i released and someone on T-Mobile that has one can confirm it works. WiFi Calling is very Critical to me at my job locations in side my 5 Schools I am responsible for.

6.0 should be out soon for the Moto X Pure Edition. From what I have heard it seems WiFi calling is there and should work.

[REQ]Motorola Android 6.0 Soak Test - Post #20 - XDA Forums

Tyrane Lewis

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for this info. if what i see in that reference then i look forward to customizing myself a Moto X Pure 3rd Edition once Marshmallow is officially released for it.

drenfree

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site

After I installed my T-Mobile sim I had to download an update immediately and wifi calling was available. My nexus 6 was unlocked

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc