10-16-2015 09:43 PM
138 1234 ...
tools
    Can't you just go to the Play Store and download Moto Assist if you want it? I didn't read anything about it not working with Marshmallow, just that Motorola isn't including it.
    10-02-2015 04:28 PM
    Can't you just go to the Play Store and download Moto Assist if you want it? I didn't read anything about it not working with Marshmallow, just that Motorola isn't including it.
    Assist is part of the Moto app.
    10-02-2015 04:34 PM
    Aren't any of you worried that the 2nd gen moto x isn't getting the marshmallow update? I timely updates was one of the big draws for the moto x line?
    10-02-2015 05:22 PM
    Aren't any of you worried that the 2nd gen moto x isn't getting the marshmallow update? I timely updates was one of the big draws for the moto x line?
    The second gen Pure Edition is getting Marshmallow.

The carrier second gens are not.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-02-2015 05:24 PM
    The current Moto Voice "Talk To Me" command will read your stuff out loud for 30 mins.

10-02-2015 05:25 PM
    https://plus.google.com/+GopinathPal...ts/RUWHCfwaNZJ

Not enough resources, possibly.

10-02-2015 07:03 PM

Oh OK, so only half the customers are screwed? How often do manufacturers/carries give up on devices after a year? Maybe this is just common among mid range phones.... I don't know....
    10-02-2015 08:34 PM
    That's something that needs to work for me. The feature of Moto Assist that I use most is sleeping. I need to be able to silence my device for calls and texts from all but select contacts when I'm sleeping.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    Moto's blog post says Do Not Disturb under Marshmallow should serve the same function (although I don't know if you can in fact select specific contacts that can get through).
    10-02-2015 09:04 PM
    https://plus.google.com/+GopinathPal...ts/RUWHCfwaNZJ

Not enough resources, possibly.

It make sense to concentrate on the pure editions and earlier phones first though if they are understaffed. The carrier editions require considerably more work to update. It does suck quite frankly for those with carrier editions, but it looks like that's what's happening.

Personally, after owning a carrier phone, I will not purchase any phone from a carrier again, it's all Pure Editions/Nexus/etc for me here on out. Carriers can go screw themselves after the experience I had with my S4 on AT&T.
    10-02-2015 09:27 PM
    Assist was probably incompatible with the spyware rootkit that Lenovo is including with marshmallow.

shamefulzero likes this.
    10-02-2015 09:35 PM
    Assist was probably incompatible with the spyware rootkit that Lenovo is including with marshmallow.

Was this really necessary?
    10-02-2015 10:28 PM
    It make sense to concentrate on the pure editions and earlier phones first though if they are understaffed. The carrier editions require considerably more work to update. It does suck quite frankly for those with carrier editions, but it looks like that's what's happening.

Personally, after owning a carrier phone, I will not purchase any phone from a carrier again, it's all Pure Editions/Nexus/etc for me here on out. Carriers can go screw themselves after the experience I had with my S4 on AT&T.
    That is how I feel but I was screwed over with a Nexus. It was the Samsung Nexus on Verizon.
    MoPhoMan likes this.
    10-02-2015 10:28 PM

I have an AT&T 2014 Moto X and vowed to avoid carrier branded phones after disabling gobs of AT&T's crud (is any of that stuff ever useful to anybody?). I'm okay with it staying on Lollipop forever, especially since it's working great and since it's now my backup phone, but I can understand why some folks are peeved. To be honest, though, after following the Turbo Lollipop saga, I don't think I'd ever get a carrier branded phone again and expect any kind of major update in a timely fashion, if at all.

Uncle Louie and phippsy84 like this.
    10-02-2015 11:08 PM
    Oh OK, so only half the customers are screwed? How often do manufacturers/carries give up on devices after a year? Maybe this is just common among mid range phones.... I don't know....
    It would be interesting to know the numbers. I suspect the sales of carrier devices may have accounted for considerably less than half, hence the move to direct sales.

Edit: Not that it doesn't suck for those with carrier phones that may not be upgraded.

kj11 likes this.
    10-03-2015 01:43 AM
    Couldn't agree more! I switched to T-Mobile last year so I could get the Nexus 6 ... Went from it to the TMO G4 and HATED being back on a carrier bloated device! Back on the Pure and all feels right again LOL

Back to the topic - bring on 6.0!!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Ryaan Johnson likes this.
    10-03-2015 07:10 AM
    I'm a little weary of being among the early adopters for a new Android version after Lollipop 5.0 was such a mess. I've just gotta trust that Google learned their lesson with that.

It's making me a bit pissed off that Motorola isn't supporting updates on many phones after one year. That's not long. Most manufacturers go at least 18 months now. I've still got 20 days to return mine to Amazon. Well see how it goes...

10-03-2015 09:44 AM
    I was torn between the new X and the Nexus 6P. At only a $50 higher cost for the same storage capacity and the promise of updates for at least 2 years, the 6P wins after all the recent Motorola announcements.

Moto Connect going away, Moto E only getting updated from 5.0 to 5.1.1 (fulfilling the "at least one update from the original shipping version" that they promised), Moto Assist going away. I realize the software eventually gets sunset but for me those were key features of the Moto phones.

I now wait for the backorder on the 6P to dwindle which will also server to allow them to patch the day zero bugs, then I get it ordered.
    10-03-2015 10:17 AM
    So whose decision is it regarding the carrier editions of the 2014 X? The manufacturer's or the carrier's? Or both?
    BlueBlazer60 likes this.
    10-03-2015 01:07 PM
    That's something that needs to work for me. The feature of Moto Assist that I use most is sleeping. I need to be able to silence my device for calls and texts from all but select contacts when I'm sleeping.

I'm certain that that feature is stock in Android 6, my Samsung tablet has it and I'm pretty sure its not a Samsung thing, and its on 5.1.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-03-2015 02:12 PM

I believe this is called priority mode in 5.1

Android 5.1: Muting your Lollipop phone overnight just got a bit easier | Android Central
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-03-2015 04:26 PM
    Yes, I did see that after I posted. I already set it up.

10-03-2015 04:29 PM
    So whose decision is it regarding the carrier editions of the 2014 X? The manufacturer's or the carrier's? Or both?
    It's both really, but part of the decision was most likely made from a business perspective based on costs/available workforce. The decision is Moto's but their decision is a result of the carriers stupidity.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, but this is my 2 cents.

From a business standpoint, updating the carrier editions of the 2014 X is not a viable business decision because:

Main reason for the decision: Carrier interference - The cost of updating a carrier device, as well as the manpower required, especially for a now understaffed Moto now outweighs the benefits. Sure, Moto would like to update the device, but that doesn't mean they can. They have X resources. Using their X resources, staff, budget etc. factoring in all the added cost and manpower of going through the process of updating a carrier device, they could probably manage to get 1 carrier device updated in about the time and hassle it would take to update 2 Pure Editions ASAP. 2014 and 2015 Pure for instance.

It's Pure (pun intended) business imo. There are only so many resources, they are focusing those resources on prioritizing Pure Editions heavily over carrier editions. Which from the business perspective (despite the bad publicity) is probably still the best option from the business standpoint.

It's partially about demographics as well. Compounding that, most people that care the most about updates, most likely own a Pure Edition in the first place.

Overall it's pretty much this (in my opinion):

Moto does want to update them, and I'm sure the Engineers at Moto want to as well. But that doesn't matter, management sees business, not your feelings. The carriers are standing in the way of updating the 2014 X's on carriers being feasible.

But wait! The Droid Turbo is getting the update?

Right, again, Business. I would personally be willing to bet my left shoe it is being updated for one of 2 reasons:

1) Moto is already in an agreement were they are required to deliver the update. Thus forcing them to allocate their resources their, and ironically probably leaving them to understaffed to update the 2014 Carrier X's.

2) Verizon sees the benefit of the update, and is actually working with Moto to make the process of doing the carrier update feasible, which other carriers are not doing.

That about sums it up.
    Uncle Louie likes this.
    10-03-2015 06:04 PM
    This is just reminder from the OP's orginal link that the list is not "cut in stone" they can still add phones if they want to. Maybe some of the carrier phones didnt make the "first list" is because moto doesn't know what the carrier are going to do yet . a.k.a waiting to hear from them .

just my $.02
    10-03-2015 08:40 PM
    This is just reminder from the OP's orginal link that the list is not "cut in stone" they can still add phones if they want to. Maybe some of the carrier phones didnt make the "first list" is because moto doesn't know what the carrier are going to do yet . a.k.a waiting to hear from them .

just my $.02
    They could cut phones on the original list too.

diesel97 likes this.
    10-03-2015 11:48 PM

just my $.02
    Yes, that's also important to keep in mind, however, a Moto employee (Matt) did state on the forums explicitly that "The carrier editions will not receive the update"

So people probably shouldn't get their hopes up, but there is still a chance. It definitely won't be in the first wave of updates though.

They have basically confirmed that Pure Editions are prioritized here.
    diesel97 likes this.
    10-03-2015 11:49 PM
138 1234 ...