Android 6.0 Marshmallow Upgrade for the Moto X Pure Edition/Moto X Style

trenchkato

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm blaming both Moto and Verizon. Funny how moto will be updating the Droid turbo for Verizon.
I understand. But I believe this phone will get updates within weeks of release. The turbo update will likely take months.

As far as moto goes the case can be made that they update phones too quickly. ie the Lollipop debacle. Everyone was so happy for nearly release date update just to find out that the sources from Google were uber buggy.

Coming from 3 generations of nexus devices I'd rather moto take their time and make sure everything is OK first. Ppl will complain but whatever.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't look like drive mode. Sounds to me like you have to enable/disable "talk to me" every time you drive. That's kind of a big deal.

Posted via the Android Central App

That's possible.

Driving and Places*- To allow your phone to read your messages and calls out loud while you are driving or when you are at a specific location, open the*Motoapp, then tap the icon on the top right corner of the screen,*go to*Voice*and select*Talk to me.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
That's possible.

Of course there could be a sub menu under "talk to me" that they just didn't mention. I hope that's it...

The fact that this help topic is up already makes it sound like they've already done substantial work on the marshmallow upgrade.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Of course there could be a sub menu under "talk to me" that they just didn't mention. I hope that's it...

The fact that this help topic is up already makes it sound like they've already done substantial work on the marshmallow upgrade.

I was thinking that too. I bet they have been working on it before we (the public) knew about it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I know the 2015 will. But what about someone who bought a 2014 carrier model? They get support for less than a year. That doesn't inspire confidence.

I am not sure what you would get then. The only other thing is Nexus to get updates directly -- Any carrier bought phone may be supported but being supported could mean you get a new OS 6-10 months after it is released. You should never go with a carrier branded phone if you expect quick / efficient updates.

MarkSBaines

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Can't you just go to the Play Store and download Moto Assist if you want it? I didn't read anything about it not working with Marshmallow, just that Motorola isn't including it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Can't you just go to the Play Store and download Moto Assist if you want it? I didn't read anything about it not working with Marshmallow, just that Motorola isn't including it.

Assist is part of the Moto app.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Aren't any of you worried that the 2nd gen moto x isn't getting the marshmallow update? I timely updates was one of the big draws for the moto x line?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Aren't any of you worried that the 2nd gen moto x isn't getting the marshmallow update? I timely updates was one of the big draws for the moto x line?

The second gen Pure Edition is getting Marshmallow.

The carrier second gens are not.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The current Moto Voice "Talk To Me" command will read your stuff out loud for 30 mins.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Oh OK, so only half the customers are screwed? How often do manufacturers/carries give up on devices after a year? Maybe this is just common among mid range phones.... I don't know....

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
That's something that needs to work for me. The feature of Moto Assist that I use most is sleeping. I need to be able to silence my device for calls and texts from all but select contacts when I'm sleeping.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

Moto's blog post says Do Not Disturb under Marshmallow should serve the same function (although I don't know if you can in fact select specific contacts that can get through).

LongbranchPennywhistle

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
https://plus.google.com/+GopinathPalaniappan/posts/RUWHCfwaNZJ

Not enough resources, possibly.

It make sense to concentrate on the pure editions and earlier phones first though if they are understaffed. The carrier editions require considerably more work to update. It does suck quite frankly for those with carrier editions, but it looks like that's what's happening.

Personally, after owning a carrier phone, I will not purchase any phone from a carrier again, it's all Pure Editions/Nexus/etc for me here on out. Carriers can go screw themselves after the experience I had with my S4 on AT&T.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Assist was probably incompatible with the spyware rootkit that Lenovo is including with marshmallow.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
It make sense to concentrate on the pure editions and earlier phones first though if they are understaffed. The carrier editions require considerably more work to update. It does suck quite frankly for those with carrier editions, but it looks like that's what's happening.

Personally, after owning a carrier phone, I will not purchase any phone from a carrier again, it's all Pure Editions/Nexus/etc for me here on out. Carriers can go screw themselves after the experience I had with my S4 on AT&T.

That is how I feel but I was screwed over with a Nexus. It was the Samsung Nexus on Verizon.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I have an AT&T 2014 Moto X and vowed to avoid carrier branded phones after disabling gobs of AT&T's crud (is any of that stuff ever useful to anybody?). I'm okay with it staying on Lollipop forever, especially since it's working great and since it's now my backup phone, but I can understand why some folks are peeved. To be honest, though, after following the Turbo Lollipop saga, I don't think I'd ever get a carrier branded phone again and expect any kind of major update in a timely fashion, if at all.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh OK, so only half the customers are screwed? How often do manufacturers/carries give up on devices after a year? Maybe this is just common among mid range phones.... I don't know....

It would be interesting to know the numbers. I suspect the sales of carrier devices may have accounted for considerably less than half, hence the move to direct sales.

Edit: Not that it doesn't suck for those with carrier phones that may not be upgraded.

Last edited:

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Couldn't agree more! I switched to T-Mobile last year so I could get the Nexus 6 ... Went from it to the TMO G4 and HATED being back on a carrier bloated device! Back on the Pure and all feels right again LOL

Back to the topic - bring on 6.0!!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk