Android 6.0 Marshmallow Upgrade for the Moto X Pure Edition/Moto X Style

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little weary of being among the early adopters for a new Android version after Lollipop 5.0 was such a mess. I've just gotta trust that Google learned their lesson with that.

It's making me a bit pissed off that Motorola isn't supporting updates on many phones after one year. That's not long. Most manufacturers go at least 18 months now. I've still got 20 days to return mine to Amazon. Well see how it goes...

Posted via the Android Central App

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I was torn between the new X and the Nexus 6P. At only a $50 higher cost for the same storage capacity and the promise of updates for at least 2 years, the 6P wins after all the recent Motorola announcements.

Moto Connect going away, Moto E only getting updated from 5.0 to 5.1.1 (fulfilling the "at least one update from the original shipping version" that they promised), Moto Assist going away. I realize the software eventually gets sunset but for me those were key features of the Moto phones.

I now wait for the backorder on the 6P to dwindle which will also server to allow them to patch the day zero bugs, then I get it ordered.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
So whose decision is it regarding the carrier editions of the 2014 X? The manufacturer's or the carrier's? Or both?

Doggfite

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
That's something that needs to work for me. The feature of Moto Assist that I use most is sleeping. I need to be able to silence my device for calls and texts from all but select contacts when I'm sleeping.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

I'm certain that that feature is stock in Android 6, my Samsung tablet has it and I'm pretty sure its not a Samsung thing, and its on 5.1.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

LongbranchPennywhistle

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
So whose decision is it regarding the carrier editions of the 2014 X? The manufacturer's or the carrier's? Or both?

It's both really, but part of the decision was most likely made from a business perspective based on costs/available workforce. The decision is Moto's but their decision is a result of the carriers stupidity.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, but this is my 2 cents.

From a business standpoint, updating the carrier editions of the 2014 X is not a viable business decision because:

Main reason for the decision: Carrier interference - The cost of updating a carrier device, as well as the manpower required, especially for a now understaffed Moto now outweighs the benefits. Sure, Moto would like to update the device, but that doesn't mean they can. They have X resources. Using their X resources, staff, budget etc. factoring in all the added cost and manpower of going through the process of updating a carrier device, they could probably manage to get 1 carrier device updated in about the time and hassle it would take to update 2 Pure Editions ASAP. 2014 and 2015 Pure for instance.

It's Pure (pun intended) business imo. There are only so many resources, they are focusing those resources on prioritizing Pure Editions heavily over carrier editions. Which from the business perspective (despite the bad publicity) is probably still the best option from the business standpoint.

It's partially about demographics as well. Compounding that, most people that care the most about updates, most likely own a Pure Edition in the first place.

Overall it's pretty much this (in my opinion):

Moto does want to update them, and I'm sure the Engineers at Moto want to as well. But that doesn't matter, management sees business, not your feelings. The carriers are standing in the way of updating the 2014 X's on carriers being feasible.

But wait! The Droid Turbo is getting the update?

Right, again, Business. I would personally be willing to bet my left shoe it is being updated for one of 2 reasons:

1) Moto is already in an agreement were they are required to deliver the update. Thus forcing them to allocate their resources their, and ironically probably leaving them to understaffed to update the 2014 Carrier X's.

2) Verizon sees the benefit of the update, and is actually working with Moto to make the process of doing the carrier update feasible, which other carriers are not doing.

That about sums it up.

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
This is just reminder from the OP's orginal link that the list is not "cut in stone" they can still add phones if they want to. Maybe some of the carrier phones didnt make the "first list" is because moto doesn't know what the carrier are going to do yet . a.k.a waiting to hear from them .

just my $.02

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is just reminder from the OP's orginal link that the list is not "cut in stone" they can still add phones if they want to. Maybe some of the carrier phones didnt make the "first list" is because moto doesn't know what the carrier are going to do yet . a.k.a waiting to hear from them .

just my $.02

They could cut phones on the original list too.

LongbranchPennywhistle

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site

just my $.02
Yes, that's also important to keep in mind, however, a Moto employee (Matt) did state on the forums explicitly that "The carrier editions will not receive the update"

So people probably shouldn't get their hopes up, but there is still a chance. It definitely won't be in the first wave of updates though.

They have basically confirmed that Pure Editions are prioritized here.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't think they have enough resources to develop and test the amount of updates we all would like to see.

shamefulzero

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
oh good! i can't get ambient display to work. So basically from what ive heard. Things are just changing. We'll still have moto display, Our phone will still talk to us while we are driving, we can still talk a text to the phone while we are driving. And do not disturb, we can always just turn our phones off. So loosing moto assist isnt as heart breaking as i thought.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
oh good! i can't get ambient display to work. So basically from what ive heard. Things are just changing. We'll still have moto display, Our phone will still talk to us while we are driving, we can still talk a text to the phone while we are driving. And do not disturb, we can always just turn our phones off. So loosing moto assist isnt as heart breaking as i thought.
y
Ya i think the only thing we losing is play music while drive and moto migrate, but it is as theyve said, it is outdated.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
oh well than, that ok. i have bluetooth in my car. so the music thing isnt huge. ok. so when are we expected to get marshmallow then?

No one really knows at this point. If I was a betting man id say we'll have it by thanksgiving. But that's just a guess.

Posted via my Mate 7 or my Moto X Pure

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

This is good to know. I thought they were taking more away.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
y
Ya i think the only thing we losing is play music while drive and moto migrate, but it is as theyve said, it is outdated.

Big unanswered question is if it'll still detect if you're driving or not. Would not surprise me if Talk To Me needed to be enabled every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar