Android 6.0 Marshmallow Upgrade for the Moto X Pure Edition/Moto X Style

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I would be very disappointed if auto driving detection is removed also.

There's a chance this will be removed?? I need to know if it will b/c if it does, I won't get this phone. It's a major factor for me. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be paying close attention to this.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There's a chance this will be removed?? I need to know if it will b/c if it does, I won't get this phone. It's a major factor for me. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be paying close attention to this.

I've posted in the Motorola forums asking for clarification.

The more they go without answering, the more I feel we'll lose auto-detection.

Posted via the Android Central App

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Couple of questions from a former Blackberry user who is moving to Android - I am considering to purchase either a Moto X Pure or a Nexus 6P:

1) Do OS updates for unlocked, direct purchased Moto X Pure come directly from Motorola to the device - or are they sent to the carrier and then from the carrier to the device? (I asked this question two different times to Motorola and got two conflicting and vague answers).

2) If they are sent directly from Motorola - does anyone know if the updates come as quickly as if the device was a Google Nexus device? Or do Nexus owners get updates significantly sooner?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!!

shamefulzero

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Couple of questions from a former Blackberry user who is moving to Android - I am considering to purchase either a Moto X Pure or a Nexus 6P:

1) Do OS updates for unlocked, direct purchased Moto X Pure come directly from Motorola to the device - or are they sent to the carrier and then from the carrier to the device? (I asked this question two different times to Motorola and got two conflicting and vague answers).

2) If they are sent directly from Motorola - does anyone know if the updates come as quickly as if the device was a Google Nexus device? Or do Nexus owners get updates significantly sooner?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!!

No Don If you purchase a moto x pure, the update comes from motorola, not your carrier.

I presume it would take a little while since they have to add a lil bit of stuff. But it shouldnt take too long.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Can you link to that post for me please?

This is my issue they put out a FAQ but it begs more questions than it answers.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't look like drive mode. Sounds to me like you have to enable/disable "talk to me" every time you drive. That's kind of a big deal.

I read it differently. I read it as their menu/label is renamed "Talk to me" that will house the options for driving and home/other locations currently in the Assist app.

Driving and Places - To allow your phone to read your messages and calls out loud while you are driving or when you are at a specific location, open the Moto app, then tap the icon on the top right corner of the screen, go to Voice and select Talk to me.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I read it differently. I read it as their menu/label is renamed "Talk to me" that will house the options for driving and home/other locations currently in the Assist app.

Was it automatic before? To me it sounds like you have to enable it every time you drive.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Was it automatic before? To me it sounds like you have to enable it every time you drive.

You have to enable it initially in their app. I read it as if it's just relabeled as far as where you enable it. We may have to wait and see what info leaks/is released regarding it's actual design. As with their device announcement, Moto continues to deliver very poorly constructed communications.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I read it both ways. I believe I mentioned that in another comment. The Moto post is ambiguous about it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You have to enable it initially in their app. I read it as if it's just relabeled as far as where you enable it. We may have to wait and see what info leaks/is released regarding it's actual design. As with their device announcement, Moto continues to deliver very poorly constructed communications.

We have no confirmation either way.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate folks that use all the Moto apps, but I find battery life is easily 20% better with all the Moto stuff off. I did not use the Samsung stuff either, so no harm no foul. I do wish there was an option to only use the Moto apps including voice functions when the phone is charging. I would use all the bling then, since no battery life used by sensor polling/management and turning an entire display on for notifications.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate folks that use all the Moto apps, but I find battery life is easily 20% better with all the Moto stuff off. I did not use the Samsung stuff either, so no harm no foul. I do wish there was an option to only use the Moto apps including voice functions when the phone is charging. I would use all the bling then, since no battery life used by sensor polling/management and turning an entire display on for notifications.

Doesn't make sense to buy a Moto or Samsung and not use those features. Might as well by a bare bones Nexus. :/

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

So did you just get it for looks? One reason I want the phone is for the Moto Apps.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I guess. If I didn't use the Moto apps I would be using a nexus rather than a Motorola phone.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Ouch..... might have to go 6P then. My commute makes this a major (if not the biggest) selling point. When I got rid of my OG Moto X, I missed it to a large extent. This is a shame. Thanks for all the info, I'll be keeping a close eye on the update. If they happen to give you any feedback on that forum, please share the info.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't make sense to buy a Moto or Samsung and not use those features. Might as well by a bare bones Nexus. :/
The extra storage, SD slot, stereo speakers, faster cpu for emulators and price all combined to make up for that. SD slot being of significant weight.

I see no point in features that will compromise getting through a day of my use. I do not miss the features in general, but would use them if charging. Office and car is example. Not that quick and simple though getting all working, so just leave it off.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
The extra storage, SD slot, stereo speakers, faster cpu for emulators and price all combined to make up for that. SD slot being of significant weight.

I see no point in features that will compromise getting through a day of my use. I do not miss the features in general, but would use them if charging. Office and car is example. Not that quick and simple though getting all working, so just leave it off.

What he said.. All of these,, especially the sd card, front facing speakers, no lag, and must say the quick charge 2.0.. I am heavy user so by lunch I'm down to 45 percent but I pop it on the quick charger in my van while I eat and I'm back to 98 percent by the end of my half hour lunch ..