Android 6.0 Marshmallow Upgrade for the Moto X Pure Edition/Moto X Style

lewwill

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
My old phone was so old that I haven't dealt with an OS update for quite awhile. So, while we're waiting for Marshmallow, what are some things I can do to make the upcoming update the best it can be?

I've read that many suggest a factory reset be done after an OS update. Is that true?

If so, before the update lands, should I back up all photos/videos/docs, etc. (that are on my sd card) somewhere else so they can be put back on the sd card after the update?

I've got quite a few photos, etc., on my sd card, & was just thinking about the changes re: sd card memory being "adopted" (or not) via M.

What say you more experienced users? Thanks!

I have never done an FDR for an update and never had a problem. Of course that was always on Moto phones (5) and went smoothly. Backing up is always a good idea, I use cloud backups and sd card. I put a 64GB card that I had laying around :D in my pure when it arrived and just transferred everything off of it to a new 128GB card on my computer, installed the 128GB in the pure and good to go. You can back up your sd card to a file on your computer and save it.

little09

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Had you got marshmallow update 6.0 for this device? I check regularly per day and maybe 2 or 3 times a day to see any received it. So guys what about ya? 2015 version, not 2014 or lower thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
6.0 isn't out for the Moto X yet. The soak test will likely begin within a few weeks then a week or two after that it will likely roll out over the span of a month of so. The only devices that have 6.0 right now are the Nexus devices.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Maybe this question is too early since we don't actually have 6.0 tot test right now on our Pure's, but, do you think Moto display and all the display action features will work against the benefits of Doze? It seems accidentally waving your hand over or touching your phone even when it's just laying down will cause the display to flare up and defeat the benefits of doze.

I want to get the full benefits of doze, but at the same time I don't want to lose all the great features that make me love Moto phones.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Maybe this question is too early since we don't actually have 6.0 tot test right now on our Pure's, but, do you think Moto display and all the display action features will work against the benefits of Doze? It seems accidentally waving your hand over or touching your phone even when it's just laying down will cause the display to flare up and defeat the benefits of doze.

I want to get the full benefits of doze, but at the same time I don't want to lose all the great features that make me love Moto phones.

See the article on the main page: "For Doze to kick in, your phone needs to be sitting still with the screen off, and not connected to a charger. That means no moving around and nudging the gyro or other motion sensors, no touching the screen or the buttons and no waving your hand around in front of it if you're using a phone like the*new phones from Motorola*that have motion detection on the front bezel. Set it down, and leave it alone."

http://www.androidcentral.com/inside-marshmallow-what-doze-how-do-i-use-it-and-what-does-it-do

Posted from my XT1575

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
See the article on the main page: "For Doze to kick in, your phone needs to be sitting still with the screen off, and not connected to a charger. That means no moving around and nudging the gyro or other motion sensors, no touching the screen or the buttons and no waving your hand around in front of it if you're using a phone like the*new phones from Motorola*that have motion detection on the front bezel. Set it down, and leave it alone."

Inside Marshmallow: What is Doze, how do I use it and what does it do? | Android Central

Posted from my XT1575

Yep, that's the article that made me question the great features on the Pure once we see doze implemented. I guess we will have more answers once we have testing, but it seems these features will hurt the doze implementation.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
My point as stated above! With the Pure, unless you turn off all the Moto stuff, it will never kick in...or hardly ever. Besides, we don't know at this point how long the phone has to do nothing before Doze even kicks in...unless someone knows the answer to this? So to me the only time it will even help anything is if you leave the phone turned on all night, NOT plugged in, and waiting for an alarm to go off, or some important email or text, or phone call to arrive.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I really do like the idea of upgrading to marshmallow, even though I have not received my phone yet.

I am reminded though of the sgs2's we got from t mobile when that model came out. Everywhere people were complaining about ice cream sandwich not hitting it fast enough. Everywhere, it was a wildly popular phone. People were giving samsung bad ratings on apps in the google app store because of this, nothing to do with the apps. When it came out it was rushed, buggy as hell. Then people were complaining everywhere about that. I hope when/if they push it out it is ready. Since this is pure android it should be less of a problem, but you never know.

I am not saying people here are complaining or directing anything a.t anyone here, just reminded of it.

I like the idea of upgrading to Marshmallow. I don't like the idea that we may be losing some Moto app functionality.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It's currently in beta testing via private test drives and if that goes well in a few weeks then a soak test for marshmallow. That's according to David Schuster on Google plus.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
No. He was specific in saying the test drives were for very few people. I doubt that's the same as a soak test from how it was described.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781