About a month ago it was reported the new Moto X does indeed work with Google's Project Fi. There seemed to be some caveats, but I've found nothing since then.

Anyone trying this for daily service? With Verizon raising the rates on unlimited data customers, I'm tempted to drop them and try Fi.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-08-2015 01:06 PM
    I haven't heard of anyone trying it out (doesn't mean no one has) -- I would think if it works it works. How much data do you normally use?
    10-08-2015 01:10 PM
    I'd be very interested in this information as well. I would like to be on Fi, but I bought the Moto instead of the Nexus and I'm not switching phones for a beta carrier.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    10-08-2015 02:46 PM
    looks like it partially works...it doesnt do wifi calling and wont do handoffs between sprint and t-mobile backup networks...everyone thats done it only gets the t-mobile network
    10-08-2015 07:38 PM
    Well that sounds like a waste of time and money. Oh well, guess I won't be going to Fi.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    10-09-2015 07:08 AM
    It seems you can use it on Project Fi but only on T-Mobile. This has me thinking any phone will work on Project Fi that works with T-Mobile but will not switch over to Sprint.

What I don't understand is why the Moto X Pure Edition will not switch over to Sprint since it works on Sprint.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/11...on-project-fi/

You can use the new Moto X on Google's Project Fi network | The Verge
    10-09-2015 07:15 AM
    the handoff is probably software related....id bet google could enable it on a ton of phones, but I suspect they want to limit it to only phones they have control over.
    10-09-2015 12:42 PM
    the handoff is probably software related....id bet google could enable it on a ton of phones, but I suspect they want to limit it to only phones they have control over.
    I can understand as to why they would want to do that.
    10-09-2015 12:54 PM
    It is -- hence why you have to order them from Fi. They also probably don't want to have it on every single phone because the troubleshooting / debugging would be huge.
    10-09-2015 12:55 PM
    It is -- hence why you have to order them from Fi. They also probably don't want to have it on every single phone because the troubleshooting / debugging would be huge.
    So does Google keep that portion of the code out of source control so nobody can enable it?
    10-09-2015 12:56 PM
    So does Google keep that portion of the code out of source control so nobody can enable it?
    Not fully sure .. I just remember when the Nexus 6 came out you had to get the Fi version to use it on Fi (IIRC) -- It may have changed now. Maybe they coded it into M so it can work with Fi since Android M supports WiFi calling?
    10-09-2015 12:58 PM
    Not fully sure .. I just remember when the Nexus 6 came out you had to get the Fi version to use it on Fi (IIRC) -- It may have changed now. Maybe they coded it into M so it can work with Fi since Android M supports WiFi calling?
    Should we get some developers on it and see if they can figure it out over at XDA
    10-09-2015 01:03 PM
    I wouldn't use project fi *unless* you could force it to be tmobile only. You can't do voice+data if you're on a sprint tower.
    10-09-2015 02:13 PM
    You don't need the Fi version of the N6 to use it. All of them work fine.
    10-09-2015 02:25 PM
    You don't need the Fi version of the N6 to use it. All of them work fine.
    Ah nice to know -- Ty .
    10-09-2015 02:28 PM
    Nah, every N6 is identical. I took mine from Verizon to Fi with no problem.

As to the Moto X Pure.....I guess I could toss my Fi SIM card in it and see what happens.
    10-10-2015 03:34 PM
    Nah, every N6 is identical. I took mine from Verizon to Fi with no problem.

As to the Moto X Pure.....I guess I could toss my Fi SIM card in it and see what happens.
    Yea someone already corrected me (above) . That's good to know.. Since that's the case I don't see why the Pure Edition wouldn't work on Fi.
    10-10-2015 06:46 PM
    So since the mxpe can be used on fi but it won't switch to sprint, wouldn't it maybe still be a solid idea to use it anyway for the ability to not be roaming in over 100 countries and to get paid back for data that you don't use? Obviously only if t mobile has good service in your area.

VoltaicShock likes this.
    10-10-2015 07:42 PM
    So since the mxpe can be used on fi but it won't switch to sprint, wouldn't it maybe still be a solid idea to use it anyway for the ability to not be roaming in over 100 countries and to get paid back for data that you don't use? Obviously only if t mobile has good service in your area.

I have thought about that as T-Mobile works great in my area but I use a lot of data. I can use upwards to 20GB+ in a month due to my commute on a bus to work and home.
    10-10-2015 08:01 PM
    I have thought about that as T-Mobile works great in my area but I use a lot of data. I can use upwards to 20GB+ in a month due to my commute on a bus to work and home.
    Likewise. I stay on the unlimited plan for T-Mobile (I snagged the 2 line for 100 a month deal) and I use around 100+ a month since my works wifi is horrendous (it buffers on music streams).
    10-10-2015 09:32 PM
    Had to bail on Verizon unlimited so now I have 10 shared with my wife but with the SD slot I'm using a lot less without streaming music to and from work now. T mobile has always been spotty service near me though so I guess fi isn't worth it on the XPE. Shame as it seems like a good idea

10-10-2015 09:35 PM
    Likewise. I stay on the unlimited plan for T-Mobile (I snagged the 2 line for 100 a month deal) and I use around 100+ a month since my works wifi is horrendous (it buffers on music streams).
    Yeah since I have unlimited I never connect to the work WiFi at all.

I watch a lot of Netflix on my commute lol
    10-10-2015 10:08 PM
    Sprint and T-Mobile use incompatible cellular systems. So most phones couldn't handle it without the radios for both systems. The Moto X has that, though, so you're probably right about software. But wrong about 'a ton of phones'.
    10-12-2015 10:39 AM
    Most current generation Sprint phones were built to be run on both networks-- there was a push for the companies to merge not too long ago, so many of the 2014/2015 phones have CDMA, GSM, WCDMA and LTE support across both T-Mobile and Sprint bands.
    10-30-2015 01:44 PM