Project Fi and Moto X Pure Edition

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
About a month ago it was reported the new Moto X does indeed work with Google's Project Fi. There seemed to be some caveats, but I've found nothing since then.

Anyone trying this for daily service? With Verizon raising the rates on unlimited data customers, I'm tempted to drop them and try Fi.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard of anyone trying it out (doesn't mean no one has) -- I would think if it works it works. How much data do you normally use?

Jeparisoe

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I'd be very interested in this information as well. I would like to be on Fi, but I bought the Moto instead of the Nexus and I'm not switching phones for a beta carrier.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

65fastback

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
looks like it partially works...it doesnt do wifi calling and wont do handoffs between sprint and t-mobile backup networks...everyone thats done it only gets the t-mobile network

Jeparisoe

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Well that sounds like a waste of time and money. Oh well, guess I won't be going to Fi.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

65fastback

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
the handoff is probably software related....id bet google could enable it on a ton of phones, but I suspect they want to limit it to only phones they have control over.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
the handoff is probably software related....id bet google could enable it on a ton of phones, but I suspect they want to limit it to only phones they have control over.

It is -- hence why you have to order them from Fi. They also probably don't want to have it on every single phone because the troubleshooting / debugging would be huge.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
It is -- hence why you have to order them from Fi. They also probably don't want to have it on every single phone because the troubleshooting / debugging would be huge.

So does Google keep that portion of the code out of source control so nobody can enable it?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So does Google keep that portion of the code out of source control so nobody can enable it?

Not fully sure .. I just remember when the Nexus 6 came out you had to get the Fi version to use it on Fi (IIRC) -- It may have changed now. Maybe they coded it into M so it can work with Fi since Android M supports WiFi calling?

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Not fully sure .. I just remember when the Nexus 6 came out you had to get the Fi version to use it on Fi (IIRC) -- It may have changed now. Maybe they coded it into M so it can work with Fi since Android M supports WiFi calling?

Should we get some developers on it and see if they can figure it out over at XDA :)

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't use project fi *unless* you could force it to be tmobile only. You can't do voice+data if you're on a sprint tower.

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
You don't need the Fi version of the N6 to use it. All of them work fine.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Nah, every N6 is identical. I took mine from Verizon to Fi with no problem.

As to the Moto X Pure.....I guess I could toss my Fi SIM card in it and see what happens.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Nah, every N6 is identical. I took mine from Verizon to Fi with no problem.

As to the Moto X Pure.....I guess I could toss my Fi SIM card in it and see what happens.

Yea someone already corrected me (above) :). That's good to know.. Since that's the case I don't see why the Pure Edition wouldn't work on Fi.

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So since the mxpe can be used on fi but it won't switch to sprint, wouldn't it maybe still be a solid idea to use it anyway for the ability to not be roaming in over 100 countries and to get paid back for data that you don't use? Obviously only if t mobile has good service in your area.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
So since the mxpe can be used on fi but it won't switch to sprint, wouldn't it maybe still be a solid idea to use it anyway for the ability to not be roaming in over 100 countries and to get paid back for data that you don't use? Obviously only if t mobile has good service in your area.

I have thought about that as T-Mobile works great in my area but I use a lot of data. I can use upwards to 20GB+ in a month due to my commute on a bus to work and home.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have thought about that as T-Mobile works great in my area but I use a lot of data. I can use upwards to 20GB+ in a month due to my commute on a bus to work and home.

Likewise. I stay on the unlimited plan for T-Mobile (I snagged the 2 line for 100 a month deal) and I use around 100+ a month since my works wifi is horrendous (it buffers on music streams).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae