02-16-2017 04:53 AM
62 123
tools
    I use a regular old USB adapter plugged into my computer to charge at night. It says Samsung on it and it came with my S4. It provides a slow as molasses charge

Using a lighter adapter provides the same slow charge. Now, plugging the USB into a power adapter for the wall outlet...that is 2-3x's as fast as the PC USB charge.
    12-10-2015 07:15 PM
    What are you talking about? [MOD EDIT] I did not say that quick chargers damage the battery. I said that heat damages battery longevity. Check your facts.

10 common misconceptions about mobile device batteries - TechRepublic

2015 article

The real reasons your phone battery is rubbish - and how to solve them | TechRadar

2015 article

How to Keep Your Phone's Battery Healthy

Guess what, 2015 article

Google is your friend. I found all of the above in less than 5 minutes.
    Yep info straight from the source.. Motos phones are designed for turbo charging without hurting the longevity of the phone or battery..

http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=vygd27yB

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-10-2015 07:26 PM
    Oppps link is here

http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=YOOuzMNb

12-10-2015 07:28 PM
    12-10-2015 07:29 PM
    Hmmm marshmallow bug can't copy links into the forums. Interesting

12-10-2015 07:30 PM
    Let's try this again

http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=eRSYSerg

12-10-2015 07:33 PM
    The last 2 nights I've stopped charging at night. I charge to 100% before bed, when I wake up in still at 95% or so. Top off on the way to work. That's it

Ry and J Dubbs like this.
    12-10-2015 08:15 PM
    Cooler charging compared to what?
    12-10-2015 10:17 PM
    Yep info straight from the source.. Motos phones are designed for turbo charging without hurting the longevity of the phone or battery..

TurboPower - Motorola

Heat causes damage to the longevity of battery. This is physics and even Motorola admits it (probably spreading myths according to you) in the link you provided: "Prolonged exposure to excessive heat can damage a battery", so I don't understand why you insist. The fact that Motorola advertises "cooler charging" (compared to what?) is irrelevant to what I'm saying. Try charging your phone and using it at the same time and tell me about how cool it still remains.
    Again, quick charging will not damage your battery, heat will. No matter how you charge your phone or even if you don't charge it, heat is bad.
    So yes, if it gets very hot while charging it is bad no matter what an advertisement says.
    12-11-2015 03:29 AM
    Heat causes damage to the longevity of battery. This is physics and even Motorola admits it (probably spreading myths according to you) in the link you provided: "Prolonged exposure to excessive heat can damage a battery", so I don't understand why you insist. The fact that Motorola advertises "cooler charging" (compared to what?) is irrelevant to what I'm saying. Try charging your phone and using it at the same time and tell me about how cool it still remains.
    Again, quick charging will not damage your battery, heat will. No matter how you charge your phone or even if you don't charge it, heat is bad.
    So yes, if it gets very hot while charging it is bad no matter what an advertisement says.
    Mine doesn't get hot while turbo charging at least not to what I would think as being hot.
    12-11-2015 08:23 AM
    Mine doesn't get hot while turbo charging at least not to what I would think as being hot.
    Mine hasn't got hot either while Turbo charging. It only takes 1hr or so and then I unplug it. Barely warm to the touch. Then again, I don't play with it while it's charging...kinda defeats the purpose.

Now, playing video games or watching a movie gets your phone hotter IMO than a simple charge. Leaving your phone in direct sunlight will get it much hotter than charging it as well.
    When I would tether on my s4, it would get pretty hot. I did have a mild clock on it, but nothing substantial.
    12-11-2015 10:09 AM
    Mine hasn't got hot either while Turbo charging. It only takes 1hr or so and then I unplug it. Barely warm to the touch. Then again, I don't play with it while it's charging...kinda defeats the purpose.

Now, playing video games or watching a movie gets your phone hotter IMO than a simple charge. Leaving your phone in direct sunlight will get it much hotter than charging it as well.
    When I would tether on my s4, it would get pretty hot. I did have a mild clock on it, but nothing substantial.
    I watch Netflix on my commute and the phone doesn't get hot at all during my commute.
    12-11-2015 11:10 AM
    It gets just warm in my case, but as I said I don't use it much when charging. However there were a couple of times I had to use it and it got pretty hot. I don't play any games so I can't comment on that. It was regular use (messaging, e-mails, browsing etc) and it got pretty hot.
    There are many discussions around the forums about charging while navigating in the car etc (where temperature increases a lot). It's always better to not use your phone while charging, but of course this is not always possible. With Turbo charging the time interval is smaller and that's cool. My HTC One needed about 2 hours to fully charge so I always tried to charge it overnight.
    12-11-2015 12:06 PM
    It gets just warm in my case, but as I said I don't use it much when charging. However there were a couple of times I had to use it and it got pretty hot. I don't play any games so I can't comment on that. It was regular use (messaging, e-mails, browsing etc) and it got pretty hot.
    There are many discussions around the forums about charging while navigating in the car etc (where temperature increases a lot). It's always better to not use your phone while charging, but of course this is not always possible. With Turbo charging the time interval is smaller and that's cool. My HTC One needed about 2 hours to fully charge so I always tried to charge it overnight.
    For me I will usually just charge it in the morning when I wake up as it charges so fast.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    12-11-2015 12:21 PM
    From QUALCOMM:
    https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...ick-charge/faq

My Droid Turbo has been quick charged every day that I owned and I have had it since launch day. Battery still gets the same longevity.
    Ryaan Johnson likes this.
    12-11-2015 05:54 PM
    There was a study done by scientists (in Sweden? Can't remember). Article was out within the last couple of months. They found that quick-charging was better for the overall life of the battery than slow/normal charging. I can't find the link.
    Ryaan Johnson likes this.
    12-12-2015 02:04 PM
    Hmmmm

http://engineering.stanford.edu/news...s-much-thought

12-12-2015 11:53 PM
    12-12-2015 11:58 PM
    The results paint a new picture. * Instead of current density increasing dramatically with fast charging due to hot spots, they find that current density is basically uniform across charging rates. *Even slower charging rates show hot spots. *This is because *higher charging rates increase the active areas, essentially accommodating the higher current by creating larger active areas that reduce the number of dense hot spots in the electrode.

The relationship between charging rate and phase separation is a crucial one, as this dictates how quickly one can charge a battery and still get the expected performance. *These new results indicate that fast charging could be possible if used with structures that respond to this higher rate by establishing larger areas of active intercalation processes. *This flies in the face of previous notions, but opens up a new research path to explore which electrodes exhibit this behavior and how to take advantage of it for faster charging, longer living batteries

12-13-2015 12:00 AM
    The results paint a new picture. * Instead of current density increasing dramatically with fast charging due to hot spots, they find that current density is basically uniform across charging rates. *Even slower charging rates show hot spots. *This is because *higher charging rates increase the active areas, essentially accommodating the higher current by creating larger active areas that reduce the number of dense hot spots in the electrode.

The relationship between charging rate and phase separation is a crucial one, as this dictates how quickly one can charge a battery and still get the expected performance. *These new results indicate that fast charging could be possible if used with structures that respond to this higher rate by establishing larger areas of active intercalation processes. *This flies in the face of previous notions, but opens up a new research path to explore which electrodes exhibit this behavior and how to take advantage of it for faster charging, longer living batteries

http://blog.clove.co.uk/2015/11/21/w...urbo-charging/

12-13-2015 12:05 AM

What is fast charging and turbo charging?

I won't tire repeating the same thing until you stop posting irrelevant things. I'm taking about HEAT damaging battery longevity.
    A user asked this:
    Using the 25w my phone gets quite warm. When using it, while its charging, it gets very hot. Should I switch to a different charging cord?
    And I answered about this. I'm not talking about quick charging vs slow charging. I'm talking about heat and its deleterious effects on battery.
    Thank you for making me repeat myself again.
    12-14-2015 08:15 AM
    I'm wondering what gets hotter, the battery or some of the posters in here.....
    pizza_pablo and J Dubbs like this.
    12-15-2015 12:50 AM
    I won't tire repeating the same thing until you stop posting irrelevant things. I'm taking about HEAT damaging battery longevity.
    A user asked this:

And I answered about this. I'm not talking about quick charging vs slow charging. I'm talking about heat and its deleterious effects on battery.
    Thank you for making me repeat myself again.
    Ever notice posters only complain of heat when they try to use their phone while it charges? Is it possible the elevates heat you are concerned about is from the LCD and not the battery? And it could the battery is fine.

12-15-2015 06:05 AM
    Ever notice posters only complain of heat when they try to use their phone while it charges? Is it possible the elevates heat you are concerned about is from the LCD and not the battery? And it could the battery is fine.

In case you had a phone with removable battery you could see it for yourself by removing it.
    Anyhow, there are plenty of apps reporting battery temperature. I tend to use GSam Battery monitor for checking my battery stats, but it also reports battery temperature. You can see the difference when the phone is idle and when being used and also difference between charging with phone idle and charging with phone under use.
    I'll maybe post some screenshots of my next charge (I'm still clinging on around 20% and forgot my charger at home) so you can see the difference.
    12-15-2015 09:16 AM
    Wouldn't be any surprise at all that temps are higher when both in-use *and* charging.

Lots of comments here seem to be concered about damage due to heat either to the phone or to the battery.

I trust the circuit design to shut the Pure down when the temp reached some un-defined maximum.

We can't know whether the battery is being or has been harmed until we see battery failure info - which I think would be long after any of us have moved on to a newer (hotter?) device. lol
    Ryaan Johnson and Ry like this.
    12-15-2015 12:39 PM
62 123