02-16-2017 05:53 AM
62 123
tools
    Wouldn't be any surprise at all that temps are higher when both in-use *and* charging.

Lots of comments here seem to be concered about damage due to heat either to the phone or to the battery.

I trust the circuit design to shut the Pure down when the temp reached some un-defined maximum.

We can't know whether the battery is being or has been harmed until we see battery failure info - which I think would be long after any of us have moved on to a newer (hotter?) device. lol
    I agree with most remarks. But it's not only damage or harm, that's not common and it may be caused by a defect. It's also long-term loss of performance. As you said many people don't keep their phones for a long time, but for people holding them up 2 years and a bit more (and they are a lot) it's important to have as much juice as possible. Of course there are other factors (changes in settings, apps, OS updates) that can alter performance with time, but it's also a fact that degradation is faster when heat is involved a lot. How much this is, I don't know.

For the previous question, I just checked my phone during charging and with no use, the battery temperature increased about 15-16oC (it peaked at around 43oC). The phone was pretty warm to the touch, but I don't consider it so hot that I should worry. With heavy use it can get really hot.
    12-15-2015 05:29 PM
    Although the Samsung chargers are only 9 volts (as to 12 on Motorola's charger) the phone still sees it as "turbo power connected"
    10-29-2016 07:31 AM
    I have a quick question for S7 and Moto G4. To slow charge a Galaxy S7 or a Moto G4, do we have to turn off fast/turbo charging from the settings and then charge via the charger that came with the phone(the so called fast/turbo charger) or should we use a charger from an old phone say SIII etc.?
    02-13-2017 02:32 AM
    I have a quick question for S7 and Moto G4. To slow charge a Galaxy S7 or a Moto G4, do we have to turn off fast/turbo charging from the settings and then charge via the charger that came with the phone(the so called fast/turbo charger) or should we use a charger from an old phone say SIII etc.?
    You can't turn it off, there is no setting to change... You would just use a standard charger.
    becool773 likes this.
    02-13-2017 06:12 PM
    You can't turn it off, there is no setting to change... You would just use a standard charger.
    My dear you are on AndroidCentral too. Glad to see you here. I am going to use the SIII charger for S7 as you suggested at some other place. Will the same charger work for Moto G4 too? I was worried about the voltage difference.
    02-14-2017 06:08 AM
    My dear you are on AndroidCentral too. Glad to see you here. I am going to use the SIII charger for S7 as you suggested at some other place. Will the same charger work for Moto G4 too? I was worried about the voltage difference.
    There is no voltage difference, you misunderstand how QC works. All of the chargers for these devices are 5v, but the device can negotiate a higher charge rate. The higher voltage does not occur unless both devices agree. Chargers are a little more than dumb transformers these days.
    becool773 likes this.
    02-14-2017 07:34 AM
    There is no voltage difference, you misunderstand how QC works. All of the chargers for these devices are 5v, but the device can negotiate a higher charge rate. The higher voltage does not occur unless both devices agree. Chargers are a little more than dumb transformers these days.
    Man I always hated physics in school. So I can use SIII's charger with S7 and Moto G4 without any fear?
    02-14-2017 07:41 AM
    Man I always hated physics in school. So I can use SIII's charger with S7 and Moto G4 without any fear?
    Yes, it's perfectly safe and will charge, just slower.
    becool773 likes this.
    02-14-2017 08:01 AM
    Yes, it's perfectly safe and will charge, just slower.
    Thanks. Will charge via the same and will let you know if it has any effect on heating or not.
    02-15-2017 03:10 AM
    I've never left any device plugged in all night... especially quick charge devices. I charge them up before bed, top them off in the morning, and I'm good to go. I've also owned all my phones for years and have never had to replace a battery or had any noticeable loss of battery life. In fact family members regularly adopt my old phones when theirs die. My dad's had similar phones and is constantly replacing batteries, but he runs them completely dead and ends up keeping them constantly plugged in, day and night.

If you overwork and overcharge your battery constantly you will definitely shorten the life dramatically. That's not a good thing with sealed phones with non-replaceable batteries ๐Ÿ˜จ
    02-15-2017 06:59 AM
    I've never left any device plugged in all night... especially quick charge devices. I charge them up before bed, top them off in the morning, and I'm good to go. I've also owned all my phones for years and have never had to replace a battery or had any noticeable loss of battery life. In fact family members regularly adopt my old phones when theirs die. My dad's had similar phones and is constantly replacing batteries, but he runs them completely dead and ends up keeping them constantly plugged in, day and night.

If you overwork and overcharge your battery constantly you will definitely shorten the life dramatically. That's not a good thing with sealed phones with non-replaceable batteries ๐Ÿ˜จ
    I charge mine on a Quick charger every night... Never been an issue. Overcharging isn't possible as the electronics in the device prevent it. In general, your concerns are unfounded in a modern smartphone.

That said, completely discharging a battery is not good for it, but in modern device you are not really discharging the battery completely under normal conditions even if you allow the device to turn off on its own, and it never overcharges charges, the circuitry of the battery prevents that from occurring.

Since Quick Charge 2.0, it does some extra to prevent fast charge damage too, at low and high levels (about under 10%, over 90%), the charge voltage (thus speed) backs down to standard 5v from the higher QC voltages.

Again, the problem with quick charge or full cycle charging isn't the problem in itself in modern devices... It's the heat that process can create inside the battery. Heat will kill a battery quickly.
    02-15-2017 07:29 AM
    Good information Ace, thanks ๐Ÿ˜‹
    02-16-2017 05:53 AM
62 123