02-16-2017 04:53 AM
62 123
tools
    Is there a way to disable Turbo charge for when you don't need it to charge quickly, like at night when your asleep? Then just have it charge at a slower regular rate that doesn't heat up the battery.
    10-14-2015 11:27 PM
    Use a different charger? Just charge it quick, it won't hurt anything.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Ry and droidman2177 like this.
    10-15-2015 01:48 AM
    The only solution is to use a less powerful charger

Ry likes this.
    10-15-2015 02:45 AM
    Mine doesn't heat up at all using the Turbo Charger.
    Ry and Ntchwaidumela like this.
    10-15-2015 05:18 AM
    Use a different charger? Just charge it quick, it won't hurt anything.

WRONG! Heat is BAD for batteries. Not sure how many times this has been repeated in numerous forums.
    Now if your battery does not get hot doing a rapid/quick/turbo charge then fine. But if it does get hot every time you use the turbo charger then you are degrading the life of the battery.
    See several article links below.

Six things to know about smartphone batteries - CNET
    How Heat and Loading affect Battery Life - Battery University
    Five tips for extending lithium-ion battery life - TechRepublic
    Lithium-ion Battery Life and Death - HowStuffWorks
    10-15-2015 06:40 AM
    Mine doesn't really get hot with the turbo charger at all though.
    Ry and droidman2177 like this.
    10-15-2015 06:59 AM
    The Samsung fast charger is a good option, since charges within 15 to 20 minutes of the Moto charger, less heat and handy as a second charger.
    10-15-2015 12:37 PM
    Mine only heats up if it's plugged into the turbo charger while I'm using it. Doesn't seem to heat up much if its just charging overnight.

Does the turbo charging affect that battery life though? Everything I read about the XPE is that it should last at least a day with normal use. I don't use my phone enough to even constitute "normal use" I don't think and yet I have to charge it at least 2-3 times (luckily it charges fast...)

Honestly I use my phone on my way to work to play music in my car (about an hour), sporadically throughout the day to send a few text messages. I generally watch about 45 min of netflix on my lunch. And then about another hour of music in the car on my way home. It's usually close to dead (under 30%?) by the time I get home. After I get home I use it a lot more so it's basically dead within about 30 minutes from that time and I have to plug it in.

With my iPhone 6+ that I'm switching from I'd still have at least 50-60% of my battery left by that time and it would last me through the rest of the night with more consistent use.
    10-15-2015 12:54 PM
    TurboPower 15 will charge slower but still give you Quick Charge 2.0.

OP- are you having heat issues with the TurboPower 25?
    droidman2177 likes this.
    10-15-2015 01:57 PM
    I use the charger from my '13 Moto X for overnight charging. Full charge by the morning and the phone stays nice and cool.
    10-16-2015 08:15 AM
    I use the charger from my '13 Moto X for overnight charging. Full charge by the morning and the phone stays nice and cool.
    I do something similar with my X Play. Turbo charging only if I need it in the middle of the day and the 0.5A charger from my old Moto G at night.
    10-16-2015 08:21 AM
    I do something similar with my X Play. Turbo charging only if I need it in the middle of the day and the 0.5A charger from my old Moto G at night.
    I do the same thing. Charger from my '14 X for overnight charging and turbo charger if I need it during the day or in the car.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    10-16-2015 09:27 AM
    The same... Overnight charge with Droid maxx charger and turbo as needed for quick boost.
    10-16-2015 11:49 AM
    OP- are you having heat issues with the TurboPower 25?
    No, I don't think so. It gets warm but not hot.

I think the recommendations of using a regular charger is a great idea for overnight. I'll do that.
    10-16-2015 12:35 PM
    Can anyone answer this for me? I have the mxpe and my wife just got the galaxy s6. Will it do any damage to her phone if she uses the turbo charger that came with the XPE?

10-16-2015 06:56 PM
    Can anyone answer this for me? I have the mxpe and my wife just got the galaxy s6. Will it do any damage to her phone if she uses the turbo charger that came with the XPE?

No.

ezvv likes this.
    10-16-2015 07:19 PM
    Using the 25w my phone gets quite warm. When using it, while its charging, it gets very hot. Should I switch to a different charging cord?
    12-10-2015 12:17 AM
    Using the 25w my phone gets quite warm. When using it, while its charging, it gets very hot. Should I switch to a different charging cord?
    Well, heat is not good for the longevity of your battery. I try to avoid using it while charging, so I charge overnight or at times I know I won't be using it.
    One solution as mentioned is to use a regular charger, but then you lose the quick charging feature. It's up to you.
    I wouldn't worry about the phone getting warm though, unless it gets very hot.
    12-10-2015 03:55 AM
    Well, heat is not good for the longevity of your battery. I try to avoid using it while charging, so I charge overnight or at times I know I won't be using it.
    One solution as mentioned is to use a regular charger, but then you lose the quick charging feature. It's up to you.
    I wouldn't worry about the phone getting warm though, unless it gets very hot.
    Stop spreading myths.. New phones with newer battery tech will not hurt the battery using the quick charger

http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=5L5Gcbm3

VoltaicShock likes this.
    12-10-2015 07:28 AM
    Mine only heats up if it's plugged into the turbo charger while I'm using it. Doesn't seem to heat up much if its just charging overnight.

Does the turbo charging affect that battery life though? Everything I read about the XPE is that it should last at least a day with normal use. I don't use my phone enough to even constitute "normal use" I don't think and yet I have to charge it at least 2-3 times (luckily it charges fast...)

Honestly I use my phone on my way to work to play music in my car (about an hour), sporadically throughout the day to send a few text messages. I generally watch about 45 min of netflix on my lunch. And then about another hour of music in the car on my way home. It's usually close to dead (under 30%?) by the time I get home. After I get home I use it a lot more so it's basically dead within about 30 minutes from that time and I have to plug it in.

With my iPhone 6+ that I'm switching from I'd still have at least 50-60% of my battery left by that time and it would last me through the rest of the night with more consistent use.
    Why not charge it while listening to music in the car? Never understood why people don't charge their phones while in the car.
    12-10-2015 09:20 AM
    WRONG! Heat is BAD for batteries. Not sure how many times this has been repeated in numerous forums.
    Now if your battery does not get hot doing a rapid/quick/turbo charge then fine. But if it does get hot every time you use the turbo charger then you are degrading the life of the battery.
    See several article links below.

Six things to know about smartphone batteries - CNET
    How Heat and Loading affect Battery Life - Battery University
    Five tips for extending lithium-ion battery life - TechRepublic
    Lithium-ion Battery Life and Death - HowStuffWorks
    All of these articles are 5-6 years old? Do you have anything that has been written in the past year about batteries?
    Ryaan Johnson likes this.
    12-10-2015 09:21 AM
    Use an app like GSam to quantify heat. If I'm playing Angry Birds 2 while charging it goes over 100-105F. If I don't use the phone its more like 90-95F.
    12-10-2015 10:25 AM
    Nothing has changed. Heat kills batteries and all electronics.
    12-10-2015 10:38 AM
    Stop spreading myths.. New phones with newer battery tech will not hurt the battery using the quick charger

TurboPower - Motorola

What are you talking about? [MOD EDIT] I did not say that quick chargers damage the battery. I said that heat damages battery longevity. Check your facts.

In fact, Li-Ion batteries are negatively affected by both heat and cold.
    A word of caution: Heat is much more damaging to batteries than cold is.
    10 common misconceptions about mobile device batteries - TechRepublic

2015 article

If a battery does get too hot it can cause it to degrade faster and extreme temperatures can even cause the electrolyte in the battery to ignite, starting a fire (though this is really, really rare).
    The real reasons your phone battery is rubbish - and how to solve them | TechRadar

2015 article

What's far more dangerous to a battery's well-being is heat. Lithium-ion batteries despise heat. A li-ion battery that's been exposed to temperatures of around 100 degrees Fahrenheit for a year will lose about 40 percent of its overall charge capacity. At 75 degrees, it'll lose only about 20 percent.
    How to Keep Your Phone's Battery Healthy

Guess what, 2015 article

All of these articles are 5-6 years old? Do you have anything that has been written in the past year about batteries?
    Google is your friend. I found all of the above in less than 5 minutes.
    12-10-2015 05:06 PM
    First in thread warning.

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    12-10-2015 05:19 PM
62 123