11-22-2015 08:53 PM
66 123
tools
    Yes, but there are people complaining of excessive heat while the phone is doing NOTHING with the GPU!
    My phone NEVER gets hot...maybe slightly warm but nothing like what some are experiencing. In fact, unless they are not complaining, I believe that the majority do not experience any heat related issues at all. So what is it that is making "some" experience excessive heat if all the phones have the same hardware and software out-of-the-box? I still believe it's the battery.
    11-05-2015 12:05 PM
    Nice review. I m a newbie here and have been reading as much as I can about the MXPE. You may have just pushed me off the fence to buy it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-05-2015 12:23 PM
    Yes, but there are people complaining of excessive heat while the phone is doing NOTHING with the GPU!
    My phone NEVER gets hot...maybe slightly warm but nothing like what some are experiencing. In fact, unless they are not complaining, I believe that the majority do not experience any heat related issues at all. So what is it that is making "some" experience excessive heat if all the phones have the same hardware and software out-of-the-box? I still believe it's the battery.

Could be. More the reason I wish the MXPE had a replaceable battery. The design would have worked great with one and less total repair cost, since way easier replacing a battery than a device- for both the customer and Motorola.
    11-05-2015 01:31 PM
    There always is the potential of a bad battery here and there, and I do agree. Honestly my biggest complaint with the phone would be the lack of a removable battery. If there was anything that I would change, that would definitely be it.

In a way, I think part of the reason for the current setup of a non-removable battery is due to the fact that all of the "custom backs" that you can get on moto maker are literally glued to the back of the phone. If they weren't glued, some other solution would have probably been used. I get the feeling that the easiest and cheapest option was what we have, they sacrificed easy access to the battery for customization and a simple and cheap manufacturing process. Just slap the custom back on and done.

I personally would have preferred a better solution, but it is what it is.
    11-05-2015 02:15 PM
    Nice review. I love my 2013 Moto X, which I plan to replace in a few weeks when my contract runs out. I've been torn between the Moto XPE and the Nexus 6P. Kind of leaning toward the XPE but still not completely decided.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-08-2015 08:20 AM
    Nice review. I love my 2013 Moto X, which I plan to replace in a few weeks when my contract runs out. I've been torn between the Moto XPE and the Nexus 6P. Kind of leaning toward the XPE but still not completely decided.

I replaced my 2013 Moto X with the Pure Edition and I love it. Doesn't overheat, battery time is great. I think you'll be pleased if you go with it.
    312MotoGus and readhpr like this.
    11-08-2015 08:33 AM
    Moto X Style is what I will be ordering as the 6P was the other one I was thinking of getting but for me there are too many cracked rear screens, bent chassis, yellow screen issues, paint peeling off reports from various 6P forums and I just have a feeling the 6P won't be a durable phone at all!
    11-08-2015 12:11 PM
    My mxpe does not get hot at all

xsquid55 likes this.
    11-08-2015 04:59 PM
    My mxpe does not get hot at all

Same here.

11-08-2015 05:32 PM
    Mine gets a little warm with heavy usage and its about 100° in the am when I take it off the turbo charger from the night. I was getting some pretty bad battery life the last month or so and finally today looked into it some more and it was the my T-Mobile app killing the battery, according to gsam anyway. After uninstalling that and recharging its been pretty good all day since,hopefully that was the killer since I switched to them in the last month. Other than that the mxpe is by far my favorite phone I've ever owned.

11-08-2015 05:38 PM
    Thanks for the review. I'd been going back and forth between the Moto XPE and the Nexus 6P for the longest time before I went with the 6P, which I'm waiting to be delivered the end of the month. The reason why I went with the 6P is because of the larger battery, and fast updates. I can't deny still going back and forth, however, because of Moto's useful features on stock Android.

Because battery life is important to me, though, I keep wondering if I should hold off and wait until the 2016 Moto X, when the phone will have the more efficient SD 820 (even though I'm not concerned about the 810) and a hopefully bigger battery, to go along with the Moto features, possible fingerprint scanner, and everything else.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-12-2015 08:53 AM
    I replaced my 2013 Moto X with the Pure Edition and I love it. Doesn't overheat, battery time is great. I think you'll be pleased if you go with it.
    After going back and forth trying to decide between the Moto X PE and Nexus 6P as a replacement for my 2013 Moto X, I finally got an MXPE. I just didn't want to give up the Moto features, and I just think the Moto X is a nicer looking phone than the Nexus 6P. And hey, Moto Maker.

My new MXPE arrived while I was at work yesterday, so I'm still getting to know the new phone and have to re-do my home screen, pair with my car Bluetooth etc., but here are a few first impressions.

1. It's big. Seriously huge. I knew it would be, but when I unboxed it and it set it on the countertop side by side with my 2013 MX, it was comical. But I am enjoying the larger screen real estate and I don't think it will take long to get used to the size. I think it would be uncomfortable in a front pocket (especially when sitting) but almost all of my pants have cargo pockets, so the size is OK as far as that goes, it's just a matter of getting used to handling the thing.

2. I tried the included bumper, but didn't like it. The bumper adds bulk to an already large phone, is stiff and hard to the touch, and is a little loose on the sides. So the phone is totally naked and will stay that way unless I find a soft, clear bumper that doesn't add a lot of bulk.

2. The display is gorgeous. I had read a lot of reviews complaining about the change from AMOLED to LCD, and how the LCD turns on the whole screen for Moto Display, but so far I think the display is beautiful and am not at all bothered by "lighting up the whole lockscreen" (huh? it's black).

3. It did not like "OK Google" as a launch phrase for Moto Voice, complaining it didn't have enough syllables. I used "OK Google" for 2 years on my 2013 MX (I experimented with a few other phrases when the update allowed customization, but never found one that worked as consistently without making me feel silly), so it was a bit jarring to have to change. I finally ended up with "Spock to Enterprise" ☺. It makes me happy, and anyone who knows me will get a kick out of that, and if I'm in a situation where I'd feel self-conscious I can always use the more discreet hold-phone-to-ear trigger (great to have that option).

4. I had some trouble getting the chop-chop for flashlight to work, until I discovered you have to chop really hard, and now I can do it reliably.

5. Attentive Display is awesome. I spent a lot of time fiddling with the phone last night, and it was great not having the screen time out.

That's about it for now. So far I like it a lot.

ffejjj and dmark44 like this.
    11-21-2015 09:13 AM
    Nice review!
    [EDIT] My MXPE arrives Tuesday!

11-22-2015 11:19 AM

4. I had some trouble getting the chop-chop for flashlight to work, until I discovered you have to chop really hard, and now I can do it reliably.
    Take it from someone who started out shaking the MXPE pretty violently to activate the flashlight... I discovered that the real key is to make sure you're holding the phone at a 90 angle (that is, level in landscape.)

If you do that it takes much less effort. I can do a pretty compact motion that way.
    11-22-2015 08:49 PM
    Hmm, I was pretty careful about the 90 degree angle alignment, but it just wasn't working. I'll try again, though. And anyway, the voice command to turn the flashlight on/off works well.
    11-22-2015 08:52 PM

3. It did not like "OK Google" as a launch phrase for Moto Voice, complaining it didn't have enough syllables. I used "OK Google" for 2 years on my 2013 MX
    I did too on my 2013 X! That's too bad that the new one doesn't like that phrase. I went with "OK Moto X" this time and hang tried anything else.
    readhpr and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-22-2015 08:53 PM
66 123