My Moto X Pure Edition Review

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Nice and honest review :) you more or less covered everything that I love about this phone. I've found the karate chop motion really useful, I didn't notice how many times I needed a torch lol.

Finally got to test out the battery on mine, on Friday night I forgot to put in on charge, the phone lasted all day Friday and all day Saturday. it still had 15% left come 11pm on Sat, which is excellent.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Awesome to see all of these great reviews.. This phone is just awesome. Had mine for awhile and could not go back to my s5 or note 4 even if I tried.. Front speakers are just so nice

Posted via the Android Central App

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Nice review Laura,

I don't need a new phone as I have a perfectly good Sony Xperia Z3 BUT I am weak and love trying new phones and I really want a bigger screen as well but I don't want to pay silly money for one as in the UK we get ripped off anyway!

So for me it came down to the Style or the 6P but the Nexus is £150 more than the Style and I don't think it's worth that difference so I am going to order the Style and sell my Xperia but I just hope the battery life is good enough for me!

The only problem I have is that the store I will be buying it from don't have it in stock and I don't want my wife to know I am changing my phone :) so I will call in today and see if they can get one into store as Linda works from home so she would receive the parcel! I will have to buy the standard black rubber back design as that's all they do but I am fine with that but the good thing is this department store give you a two year guarantee on the handset so it is worth going with the black one :)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The Moto X Pure IMO is the best overall multimedia phone device created so far. Glad I had second thoughts, took the MXPE back out of the box and did not go through with the RMA. Yes Ry, I have posted this before ;) :)

THARD11

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Now that my battery issue has fixed it self I could not ask for a better phone. Really enjoying mine. Only issue is I should have gotten the 32GB model. I did not realize the OP system would use that much storage.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Now that my battery issue has fixed it self I could not ask for a better phone. Really enjoying mine. Only issue is I should have gotten the 32GB model. I did not realize the OP system would use that much storage.

Out of interest what sot are you getting and what happened with your battery life?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I currently use the MXPE and Nexus 6 as my daily drivers. The Nexus 6 is my personal device and so far it is quite a bit better at media things; movies, games, music - that's my go to device. There's a weird thing happening where the Nexus 6 screen LOOKS better in most situations, but the MXPE screen IS better, in terms of accuracy, PPI and power efficiency. Generally, darker bold colors look better on the Nexus's AMOLED screen and bright colors and especially white look better on the IPS MXPE display.

Camera is an area I think that the MXPE is better, but there are still a few situations that make me want the Nexus camera.

Battery life is a hard one for me to gauge. The MXPE is my work device, so I use it differently. I use it for frequently throughout the day for very short tasks. My Nexus 6 I tend to use less frequently, but in larger blocks of time. Both have no problem lasting all day, but for the way I use them, the Nexus is more likely to last longer into the second day. Typically I charge one phone or the other at night, but if I'm above 50% or so I'll leave it off the charger. Battery Widget Reborn says that I get an average of 28 hours and 32 minutes on the MXPE and I don't use that app anymore on my Nexus 6, but I've very used to getting 4-6 hours of SOT over 30-36 hours. I can get to 40-48 hours with lower SOT and I can kill it in 24 hours with higher SOT but I rarely do that. I tend to flip between phones and tablets and other toys relatively frequently, so playing with one device for many hours is pretty rare for me.

Overall build I feel like the MXPE feels better, although I like the bigger display of the Nexus and I'm not really a fan of the metal bar on the back of the MXPE.

I'll be receiving a Nexus 6P that I bought at some point in the future and I think it'll be replacing the Nexus 6, but will have some more food for thought on exactly what I like and don't like when I get to play with that one.

csetoue

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Nice review Laura,

I don't need a new phone as I have a perfectly good Sony Xperia Z3 BUT I am weak and love trying new phones and I really want a bigger screen as well but I don't want to pay silly money for one as in the UK we get ripped off anyway!

So for me it came down to the Style or the 6P but the Nexus is £150 more than the Style and I don't think it's worth that difference so I am going to order the Style and sell my Xperia but I just hope the battery life is good enough for me!

The only problem I have is that the store I will be buying it from don't have it in stock and I don't want my wife to know I am changing my phone :) so I will call in today and see if they can get one into store as Linda works from home so she would receive the parcel! I will have to buy the standard black rubber back design as that's all they do but I am fine with that but the good thing is this department store give you a two year guarantee on the handset so it is worth going with the black one :)

LOL.

Ive came to Moto X Pure from Z3, too.

Z3 is an excelent device.

Im getting 4-5 hours of screen on time with M2015PE.

Its better than Z3 on: loudspeaker, screen, camera, system smoothness (not that much, because Z3 is already very fluid), radio reception, and hand gripness (Z3 is a bit slippy).

Its worst than Z3 on: battery life, and it doesnt has wrist strap holes.

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
LOL.

Ive came to Moto X Pure from Z3, too.

Z3 is an excelent device.

Im getting 4-5 hours of screen on time with M2015PE.

Its better than Z3 on: loudspeaker, screen, camera, system smoothness (not that much, because Z3 is already very fluid), radio reception, and hand gripness (Z3 is a bit slippy).

Its worst than Z3 on: battery life, and it doesnt has wrist strap holes.

Wow that's way more than my experience. Are you on wifi all day? If I'm on wifi I can *maybe* get 3.5 hours throughout a day. On LTE I'm looking at 2.5-3. Cell standby is often equal generally around my screen usage (my signal is generally yellow/green too, but is never dark green. I live on long Island so this really confuses me).

My real concerning issue is how incredibly hot this thing gets. I have never felt the need to download a temp monitoring app but I did with this and I regularly see 110-120 F from doing simple things like browsing. For example, I'm at 112 right now and I'm just reading articles on chrome. Maybe I should send it back, because I am not comfortable keeping a device that gets this hot from so little

csetoue

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Wow that's way more than my experience. Are you on wifi all day? If I'm on wifi I can *maybe* get 3.5 hours throughout a day. On LTE I'm looking at 2.5-3. Cell standby is often equal generally around my screen usage (my signal is generally yellow/green too, but is never dark green. I live on long Island so this really confuses me).

My real concerning issue is how incredibly hot this thing gets. I have never felt the need to download a temp monitoring app but I did with this and I regularly see 110-120 F from doing simple things like browsing. For example, I'm at 112 right now and I'm just reading articles on chrome. Maybe I should send it back, because I am not comfortable keeping a device that gets this hot from so little

There are somethings that Im used to do since my first android device looking for better battery life:
- Manually turn on/off GPS, LTE/3G, WIFI and BT.
- Screen auto-dim.
- Keep using 3G/H+, and switch to 4G/LTE only when needed.
- WiFi when its possible (I rarely use WiFi).
- Close or uninstall all apps that drain too much battery (Facebook Messenger, i.e.)

My device only got hot when I tried a PSOne emulator (Im not a heavy gamer). In your case, maybe there is an app on background putting an extra weight on SoC.

Before I got the M2015PE, I was very pessimistic about the battery life. So, I kept for a while my Z3. After getting frequently 4h-5h of SoT on M2015PE, I gave the Z3 to my father.

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
There are somethings that Im used to do since my first android device looking for better battery life:
- Manually turn on/off GPS, LTE/3G, WIFI and BT.
- Screen auto-dim.
- Keep using 3G/H+, and switch to 4G/LTE only when needed.
- WiFi when its possible (I rarely use WiFi).
- Close or uninstall all apps that drain too much battery (Facebook Messenger, i.e.)

My device only got hot when I tried a PSOne emulator (Im not a heavy gamer). In your case, maybe there is an app on background putting an extra weight on SoC.

Before I got the M2015PE, I was very pessimistic about the battery life. So, I kept for a while my Z3. After getting frequently 4h-5h of SoT on M2015PE, I gave the Z3 to my father.

I have my brightness super low all the time and I do all the other things you do (except toggle 3g/4g but I have my heating issues on wifi). I haven't even installed Facebook or Instagram because I'm afraid to get even worse battery life. I have barely any apps on my phone and gsam isn't reporting any rogue app activity. I just always have poor reception and my phone will just be 100 degrees sitting on the table. I think I may be sending it back, this just a doesn't feel right. It's a shame too because I like almost everything else about the device

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I have my brightness super low all the time and I do all the other things you do (except toggle 3g/4g but I have my heating issues on wifi). I haven't even installed Facebook or Instagram because I'm afraid to get even worse battery life. I have barely any apps on my phone and gsam isn't reporting any rogue app activity. I just always have poor reception and my phone will just be 100 degrees sitting on the table. I think I may be sending it back, this just a doesn't feel right. It's a shame too because I like almost everything else about the device
Strange. My phone doesn't get hotter than 110f. When running google maps, slacker, wifi, Bluetooth, and charging on the quick charger

THARD11

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Out of interest what sot are you getting and what happened with your battery life?

I'm getting about 3.5 hrs SOT. My battery issue was that BT was eating my battery and could not figure out why. Then it just stopped for some reason.

LongbranchPennywhistle

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Strange. My phone doesn't get hotter than 110f. When running google maps, slacker, wifi, Bluetooth, and charging on the quick charger

Same, mine doesn't ever really get hot it seems. Only when charging and doing something on it does it get hot-ish. But other than that it stays cool. My previous phone overheated often enough that it swole 2 different batteries (never did anything about, never could, told AT&T about it and they said to **** off it's fine), this thing is a dream heat-wise to me, but I could just be biased. I haven't had it get warm at all with normal use.

Although, I do always have bluetooth off unless I'm using it, but other than that, everything else is usually on.

Hendry775

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
My MXPE usually stays at around 91 F or less when I am using it for anything except gaming. When gaming, it goes up to a max of 107 F....reached 109 F too but that was only twice when I also had LTE on while playing games.

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Same, mine doesn't ever really get hot it seems. Only when charging and doing something on it does it get hot-ish. But other than that it stays cool. My previous phone overheated often enough that it swole 2 different batteries (never did anything about, never could, told AT&T about it and they said to **** off it's fine), this thing is a dream heat-wise to me, but I could just be biased. I haven't had it get warm at all with normal use.

Although, I do always have bluetooth off unless I'm using it, but other than that, everything else is usually on.

Damn haha, that sounds like a volcano of a phone. I have never had a device that even approaches how hot this thing gets daily. It just makes me concerned about long term use if it's already freaking out on me. I have gps/Bluetooth off always if I'm not using it because my battery life is so bad. I also never go above 20% brightness unless I'm in the sun, in which case it's like 50-60.

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
My MXPE usually stays at around 91 F or less when I am using it for anything except gaming. When gaming, it goes up to a max of 107 F....reached 109 F too but that was only twice when I also had LTE on while playing games.

I just picked it up after charging and it's only at 90. It's not consistently problematic, but it's been catching my attention lately. I can't even imagine what it would be like charging while using GPS or playing Internet based games on LTE. I played a 2d physics game yesterday and it hit 125. I played bean quest today and hit 120. Both of games were maybe 15 mins playing and they aren't even really intensive games. Maybe I should just go all out with a crazy 3d game to see if it skyrockets, that way I really know if I have a problem..

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting about 3.5 hrs SOT. My battery issue was that BT was eating my battery and could not figure out why. Then it just stopped for some reason.

The battery life is the thing that stopped me getting this phone earlier as I had an LG G3 which had really poor battery life at around 3 hours so 3.5 hours isn't much better but of course I know we all use them differently:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar