Moto X Pure Screen Fail

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Display Washed Out Last Night

After about a month and a half, the display washed out on me last night. Vertical lines and a almost opaque white out display. Restart didn't fix, overnight either. Shipping it back for an advance replacement. Did everything this morning, got a confirmation email, but nothing since. Good thing I have an N6 back up phone.

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Display Washed Out Last Night

Yikes! That doesn't sound very fun. I have not heard of this happening to anyone else. Were you using the device when it happened or did you turn it on to find it?

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

Device was on and scrolling through FB at the time. Vertical lines started first then washed out. No changes to display settings made any difference.

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site

I've been trying to get them to send me out an advanced replacement since 16 Oct. I have had 2 rma#'s and now they are telling me that I may have to call back on 5 Nov to cancel my current rma and get another one along with a 3rd hold on my credit card.

They first said they were going to send out a phone just like the one I currently have then 2 days later said that they were going to generate a xcode because they did not have extra stock yet. 10 days later they told me that my xcode didn't work because they have extra stock now. They cancelled my first rma and issued a new one. 4 days later they told me that it's being held up because they don't have extra stock and they quit doing xcodes. The last person from moto care I spoke with said that they were supposed to have stock in on 5 Nov and I need to call back then and cancel my current rma and get another one. Customer service is terrible. I have been nothing but polite (maybe my problem).

Posted via the Android Central App

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

After about a month and a half, the display washed out on me last night. Vertical lines and a almost opaque white out display. Restart didn't fix, overnight either. Shipping it back for an advance replacement. Did everything this morning, got a confirmation email, but nothing since. Good thing I have an N6 back up phone.

That's unfortunate. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. I've been fortunate to not any anything happen to my phone. At least you had a Nexus 6 as a backup. You get to at least experience Marshmallow while you wait on your replacement. Hopefully it works out for you and you don't have to go through anything like that again.

Chasfenner

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
So 10 days ago my MXPE screen went belly up with lines vertically up and down the screen. I called Motorola and they had me try a few things before agreeing to replace the phone. I opted for the Advanced Replacement, this is where they put a hold on your CC while they ship a like new phone to you and they release the CC hold when they receive the broken phone back. So like I said, that was 10 days ago, 7 working according to Motorola. I have called them very few days for a status update and get the same statement, because your phone was custom built on Moto maker, it will take 7 to 10 days for us to ship you out a new phone. Since today was the 7th day, the case will be escalated, whatever that means. I previously had my Moto e replaced for a bad Sim slot and I had a new phone in 3 days. I just wanted to let everyone know that if you have a bad phone and it was built on Moto maker, expect to be without your phone for about 2 weeks. Good thing that I have a Note 4 and Moto e or I would be pretty pissed off.
Charles

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I went though this about 2 or 3 weeks ago and it is a nightmare. It sounds like they did not give you an X-Code to order a new phone at no charge and with out that X-Code you likely won't be getting another Moto X anytime soon. The Moto X Pure is so new that there are no refurb/like new units for Moto to send out but the online system does not know that so your RMA will just sit there and stall out until it cancels itself. Calling does little good as Moto's notoriously horrible customer service just goes around in loops and just reads a standard form response unless you happen to get someone who has an idea of what is going on.

I'd call back and tell them you want a code to get a new Moto X ordered at no cost (it works the same way as the Advacned Exchange, you have 10 days to get the old phone back once you get the new one) and then hope they actually get you one. Failing that I'd suggest posting in the support forums on Moto's website. It can take some time since only one or two agents watch the forums but they are usually really good at fixing things; it was the only way I managed to get my X replaced.

Once Moto has some 2015 X's in stock to send out as like new this won't be a huge issue, it'll work just like your E did, but until then it is a nightmare and Moto's customer service makes it no easier to get it fixed.

Chasfenner

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

My screen washed out too and I am 7 days into my RMA. I have been calling every few days to check and complain. Today being the 7th day, they said that they would escalate my repair...we will see!

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site

My screen washed out too and I am 7 days into my RMA. I have been calling every few days to check and complain. Today being the 7th day, they said that they would escalate my repair...we will see!

I'm 20 days into my RMA and still no phone. They emailed me today to let me know that my RMA is still at the highest escalation and they hope to have something to tell me soon. I'm hoping that the CSR whom told me that they will have stock on the 5th of November is correct. Good luck with yours.

Charles Larrabee

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site

I was two weeks into my RMA for a bad speaker and the online/phone reps did nothing for me. I was told the exact same thing you were about the exact replacement, then an x-code and I never got anything.

I logged into the official moto forums and made a post complaining and within 24hrs one of their forum mods had me an x-code to get a new phone.

I don't think they like the bad rep on their customer service in their official forums lol

Chasfenner

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Cwise222 thanks for the info and insight into the replacement process. I will be giving them a call and see what they say about given me an xcode.

Chasfenner

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Thanks myersjesse hope that it works out for both of us.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
It's a really new phone and they are extremely back ordered still. So if it's a specialty model 32 or 64 gig and wood or leather back it might take a bit longer. Sorry

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

Still no word on my RMA. Fortunately, the marketing department sent me a "how are things" email today. Copied them with my RMA email and asked them to intervene. We'll see if it helps.

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I received an email today from Motorola Support and it said that one of the errors on my RMA was fixed and now they are working on another error. Tomorrow will be three weeks trying to get a replacement. By the way I have a 32 GB cognac leather backed phone.

Last edited:

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

These red lines appeared today on my phone... If someone were to show me this I would assume pressure caused it. No such thing happened here.

I do have Moto care but I try and live with it for a bit till sales settle down, maybe.

Attachments

• 6579.jpg
    6579.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 140

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

These red lines appeared today on my phone... If someone were to show me this I would assume pressure caused it. No such thing happened here.

I do have Moto care but I try and live with it for a bit till sales settle down, maybe.

It's the screen issue still there or getting any better?

PS. I'm think about exchanging my white/champagne/royal/metallic royal for the dark ash back with metallic royal accent. How are you liking the wood back and combo you ordered?