How does the rubber backed Style/Pure wear without using a case?

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys

I am just about ready to order the Style and mine will have the black rubber back, I won't be using a case as I just don't think it needs one plus it is a big phone already so how has yours stood up to day to day use, and are the back, metal sides and screen wearing well?

Thanks

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys

I am just about ready to order the Style and mine will have the black rubber back, I won't be using a case as I just don't think it needs one plus it is a big phone already so how has yours stood up to day to day use, and are the back, metal sides and screen wearing well?

Thanks

I have been using the bumper since I got the phone so the back was exposed the whole time I've had my phone. It has not shown any signs of wear. No nicks in the back at all. I have had my phone for a couple of months now. I have no complaints at all.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Most of the time I have been using the OEM clear bumper, partly because that allows the phone to fit into my car's ProClip mount that I bought for a Note 2. I don't use any other case, but I generally carry my phone in my left front pants pocket with nothing else in that pocket. I've had mine for about a month, and the rubber back and everything else looks like new.

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I have the white silicone back in a Frame bumper so the back is exposed. It's been fine.

A lot will come down to your personal use environment and habits though.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Well that's great news as I am going in to order mine tomorrow, do any of you use a screen protector as I am not wanting to cover any part of the phone at all so is the screen durable?

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not using a screen protector. I have in the past with other phones, but I think the Pure uses Gorilla Glass 3, and it's supposed to be more scratch-resistant (iirc). Also, it is somewhat oleophobic, so it doesn't get all fingerprint smeared as easily as my prior phones, and when it does it wipes clean much more quickly and easily. I'm liking that surface, and I don't want to slap a protector on it.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not using a screen protector. I have in the past with other phones, but I think the Pure uses Gorilla Glass 3, and it's supposed to be more scratch-resistant (iirc). Also, it is somewhat oleophobic, so it doesn't get all fingerprint smeared as easily as my prior phones, and when it does it wipes clean much more quickly and easily. I'm liking that surface, and I don't want to slap a protector on it.

I agree with you regarding the protector as on all my previous phones I have put a case and a protector on them all but with the Style and the rubber back I just don't want to cover it with a case as it is a big phone and it looks like a durable phone, also I fancy not having anything on the glass and I do look after my phones so naked it is going to be and my order will be placed tomorrow:)

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you regarding the protector as on all my previous phones I have put a case and a protector on them all but with the Style and the rubber back I just don't want to cover it with a case as it is a big phone and it looks like a durable phone, also I fancy not having anything on the glass and I do look after my phones so naked it is going to be and my order will be placed tomorrow:)
In the past I've not purchased insurance, because it was something like $11/month through Sprint, plus a $50 deductible for breakage. But I bought Motorola's $80 plan covering breakage, etc. for two years, as that seemed like a reasonable cost (only $3.33/month, also with a $50 deductible for breakage), and it gives a bit of peace of mind without using a case. I waited to buy the insurance until I had the phone for a couple of weeks and was sure I wanted to keep it.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Normally, I would use a screen protector but this is the first phone in a while that I have gone without one. So far, I have not regretted my decision. I have the MotoCare protection just in case anything were to happen. I'm good either way.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
In the past I've not purchased insurance, because it was something like $11/month through Sprint, plus a $50 deductible for breakage. But I bought Motorola's $80 plan covering breakage, etc. for two years, as that seemed like a reasonable cost (only $3.33/month, also with a $50 deductible for breakage), and it gives a bit of peace of mind without using a case. I waited to buy the insurance until I had the phone for a couple of weeks and was sure I wanted to keep it.

I am in the UK so Moto insurance won't be available but I always look after my phones and the Style will be the first one I will use naked, when I get it :)

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
A good bumper would probably work good, like the one that comes with the phone (although it feels a little loose and is pretty stiff). Personally, I use a SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Series Premium Hybrid Protective Bumper case, with clear back, that I purchased from Amazon. It works great and gives me great grip.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys

Thanks

For day to day I used mine for two months naked, no visible wear. At certain events like Oktoberfest I used a full case cause stuff happens.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
For day to day I used mine for two months naked, no visible wear. At certain events like Oktoberfest I used a full case cause stuff happens.

Thanks for that, I am going to use it naked when I get it as to me the phone does look durable, more so than I imagine the 6P will be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dustojnikhummer