Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the Moto X Pure Edition (24.11.18)

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

About 2-3 weeks ago a link on Google now popped up saying a closed pre like soak test was going on for 6.0 on moto x pure/style.

That's probably what that was about but seems like it's partially confirmed. The guy who posted that got scolded too, guess he wasn't supposed to.

Also found this on moto forums.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/cab8687a11?page=17

Forum manager is saying it's coming and so is someone else. Doesn't guarantee it's in this 6.0 software update but that it will come. I bet in a week or two we'll probably know if it's in the pure 6.0 update.

Also I heard that the November security patch will be in 6.0 for moto x pure and moto g (2015).

Still haven't decided between this and the 6P but knowing that band 12 is coming makes it harder since 6P is working on it too. Nice to be able to complain over "choice".

Posted via the Android Central App

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Re: Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the Moto X Pure Edition

About 2-3 weeks ago a link on Google now popped up saying a closed pre like soak test was going on for 6.0 on moto x pure/style.

That's probably what that was about but seems like it's partially confirmed. The guy who posted that got scolded too, guess he wasn't supposed to.

Also found this on moto forums.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/cab8687a11?page=17

Forum manager is saying it's coming and so is someone else. Doesn't guarantee it's in this 6.0 software update but that it will come. I bet in a week or two we'll probably know if it's in the pure 6.0 update.

Also I heard that the November security patch will be in 6.0 for moto x pure and moto g (2015).

Still haven't decided between this and the 6P but knowing that band 12 is coming makes it harder since 6P is working on it too. Nice to be able to complain over "choice".

It has been confirmed that 6.0 enables Band 12

https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/KfeLZerX4Ua

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

It has been confirmed that 6.0 enables Band 12

https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/KfeLZerX4Ua

Oh my god. Thank you so much. Never thought to follow them on google+. Kudos to them possibly getting it out before Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P too. I'm glad they clarified the fate for the other phones knew that was coming. Just got a 128 GB SD Card on sale at best buy either for the moto g (2015) or possibly moto x pure (2015). Can't wait for adoptable storage. Thank you for the link.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Oh my god. Thank you so much. Never thought to follow them on google+. Kudos to them possibly getting it out before Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P too. I'm glad they clarified the fate for the other phones knew that was coming. Just got a 128 GB SD Card on sale at best buy either for the moto g (2015) or possibly moto x pure (2015). Can't wait for adoptable storage. Thank you for the link.

Yeah this is great news. Now to just get 6.0 on my Pure lol

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Folks be careful with the adoptable storage, since it is encrypted and treats storage as one. This means you will have problems if using a cheap card or want to pull the card out for whatever reason. An example would be if wanting to increase storage size of the card. You will have to pretty much start from scratch if you do. Best to get the max size now, rather than afterwards. You can not simply transfer the content to another card. You have to reinstall everything.

I got the 64GB MXPE, so will not assimilate my card as one with the Borg- er, Android storage. My 200GB card is staying as media only. Cleaner that way IMO :)

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

Folks be careful with the adoptable storage, since it is encrypted and treats storage as one. This means you will have problems if using a cheap card or want to pull the card out for whatever reason. An example would be if wanting to increase storage size of the card. You will have to pretty much start from scratch if you do. Best to get the max size now, rather than afterwards. You can not simply transfer the content to another card. You have to reinstall everything.

I got the 64GB MXPE, so will not assimilate my card as one with the Borg- er, Android storage. My 200GB card is staying as media only. Cleaner that way IMO :)
Thanks, that's good info!

I got 64 GB internal, too - plenty of room for me. I plan to do the same as you with my 64 GB Sandisk Extreme SD Card...keep it as separate media and back-up storage.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Yeah people need to realize that. I am thinking of getting this one and adopting the storage.

Micro SD EVO+ 128GB Memory Card w/ Adapter

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Thanks, that's good info!

I got 64 GB internal, too - plenty of room for me. I plan to do the same as you with my 64 GB Sandisk Extreme SD Card...keep it as separate media and back-up storage.

Same here, bought the 64GB version so I will always have plenty of room for apps. Using an SD card for media and intend to continue to use the SD as external storage once marshmallow arrives.
I've also picked up an HTC One A9 32GB. I have an SD card arriving tomorrow which I intend to use as adorable storage in that phone. I will then be able to compare the two options.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

What does band 12 exactly do?

Gives T-Mobile much better service... Band 12 is in the 700 Mhz range, which gives a couple of advantages over band 4 (1900/2100). First is range. B12 has greater range than 4, so in rural areas where they aren't about to put a ton of towers up, someone on the fringe of coverage when it was band 4 will have a better quality of signal. The second benefit is that the lower frequency allows for better penetration into buildings. They rolled out band 12 in my area a little while back and I noticed the difference right away. There is a Walmart in the nearby town that was where T-Mobile signals went to die. Once I got far enough inside the building, it was toast... no signal... ziltch. Recently, I got an email while I was in the middle of the store and saw that I not only had a signal, I had a GOOD signal.

It has its drawbacks, of course... it doesn't have the bandwidth of 4 and couldn't support as many simulaneous users, but it's not an either/or situation. Their towers support both bands, doling them out to people based on their situation. You'll stick on band 4, T-Mobile's workhorse, unless things get a bit twitchy, then you might get popped over the 12.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Folks be careful with the adoptable storage, since it is encrypted and treats storage as one.

Why encrypted? I was of the understanding that only those phones that come OOB with Marshmallow are encrypted? The pure will not automatically encrypt with Marshmallow unless you do the encryption manually as we can now with Lollipop. Or am I missing something here?

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Why encrypted? I was of the understanding that only those phones that come OOB with Marshmallow are encrypted? The pure will not automatically encrypt with Marshmallow unless you do the encryption manually as we can now with Lollipop. Or am I missing something here?

Looks like when you adopt it it becomes encrypted.

Android 6.0 can treat SD cards as internal storage... at a cost - Liliputing

[Android M Feature Spotlight] External Storage Can Be 'Adopted' As True Internal Storage Or Accessed Normally With No Additional Apps

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

The SD card is encrypted when you turn on adoptable storage, not your entire phone.

LongbranchPennywhistle

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site

The SD card is encrypted when you turn on adoptable storage, not your entire phone.
Correct, it would be expected that the card would be encrypted though, as encryption by default is becoming mandatory with 6.0, you can basically expect seeing encryption from this point on with android.

Android 6.0 re-implements mandatory storage encryption for new devices | Ars Technica

Although technically speaking the Pure upgraded to marshmallow falls under the exempt category, you would expect any new features in 6.0 like adoptable storage to go with encryption. I'm all in favor of it imo anyway.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

The difference is that AT&T sells the Nexus 6. They do not sell the Moto X Pure Edition. I believe all Moto X Pure Edition owners have the same 5.1.1 build.

Right. Updates to the phone don't come from the carriers, but from Motorola. Just like Nexus devices get upgrades directly from Google. The SIM only allows it to use the carrier's network.

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site

Right. Updates to the phone don't come from the carriers, but from Motorola. Just like Nexus devices get upgrades directly from Google. The SIM only allows it to use the carrier's network.

My Unlocked purchased directly from Motorola Nexus 6 which used to have an AT&T SIM in it is not OTA updating to Marshmallow. I am not alone in this. I currently have a MOTO Pure 2015 and I have had my Nexus 6 sitting on my desk for 3 weeks now with NO SIM card in it, performing FDR's every day and coming back up on WIFI only and yet STILL NO OTA for Marshmallow while others have had it for a month, again this is an unlocked direct from Moto Nexus 6 with absolutely nothing to do with AT&T other than its use on the network before the MXPE. I believe the problem has been narrowed down to Nexus phones which received the LMY48W build while on the AT&T network at some point in their use in the last year. If you would like to peruse some of the posts on the Nexus 6 page regarding this issue here is a link. http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-6/596946-finally-6-0-ota.html

here is hoping that my MXPE (currently in use with AT&T) updates to Marshmallow on my phone as fast as every one else once the OTA starts, I think it will.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

My Unlocked purchased directly from Motorola Nexus 6 which used to have an AT&T SIM in it is not OTA updating to Marshmallow. I am not alone in this. I currently have a MOTO Pure 2015 and I have had my Nexus 6 sitting on my desk for 3 weeks now with NO SIM card in it, performing FDR's every day and coming back up on WIFI only and yet STILL NO OTA for Marshmallow while others have had it for a month, again this is an unlocked direct from Moto Nexus 6 with absolutely nothing to do with AT&T other than its use on the network before the MXPE. I believe the problem has been narrowed down to Nexus phones which received the LMY48W build while on the AT&T network at some point in their use in the last year. If you would like to peruse some of the posts on the Nexus 6 page regarding this issue here is a link. http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-6/596946-finally-6-0-ota.html

here is hoping that my MXPE (currently in use with AT&T) updates to Marshmallow on my phone as fast as every one else once the OTA starts, I think it will.

Same experience. This is one that was bought straight from Google. Obviously with the Nexus you can sideload marshmallow easily, but I'd like to see the OTA as matter of freaking principle.

n6.jpg

Last edited: