Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the Moto X Pure Edition (24.11.18)

312MotoGus

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the Moto X Pure Edition

At this point, can we still say that the MXPE is/will be among the first devices to get updates, as we were told would be the case? Seems like other devices are coming in before ours. Do I have to start building my breath until I get what I want? ;)

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm interested in these phantom Android phones being updated to marshmallow in the United States. Let's just say my life's been a little sweeter this week.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

At this point, can we still say that the MXPE is/will be among the first devices to get updates, as we were told would be the case? Seems like other devices are coming in before ours. Do I have to start building my breath until I get what I want? ;)

Not that hard of a milestone on Android to be among first to 6.0 when 2/3rds of the user base are on 4.x and less than a third are on 5.x

If it makes you feel better my Nexus 6 doesn't have marshmallow yet either.

Jordyboy132

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

My MXPE updated to to Marshmallow Tuesday around noon AKST on Verizon. I wasn't signed up for anything, it was just a random OTA update.

Noticed that the native flashlight gesture and functionality is gone, now. Bummer. Anyone else notice?

youngusaplaya

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

My MXPE updated to to Marshmallow Tuesday around noon AKST on Verizon. I wasn't signed up for anything, it was just a random OTA update.

Noticed that the native flashlight gesture and functionality is gone, now. Bummer. Anyone else notice?

Mine still works

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

You got lucky when they accidentally released it for some people.

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site

I got 6.0 a couple of days ago. Also on Verizon and also didn't sign up for anything. It just showed up.

Flashlight double-chop still works for me.

Overall, I don't see anything special with 6.0. I guess the only real big "upgrade" would be the adaptive storage which is a nice feature...but I'm firmly in portable storage camp. I have not liked the direction Google has taken with Android. I see Gingerbread as probably the version I liked the best and have only seen Android trying to become more iOS like since then. Now that I've had the phone for a couple of weeks and 6.0 seems to be working I'll go ahead and root the phone so I can install some Xposed framworks to build the Android that works best for me. Sincerely, Unimpressed with Google.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Marshmallow is really android 5.2. Its a refinement of what L should have been. Not much significant was added for most users to experience other than doze really. But in my opinion it is by far the best android yet.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

Marshmallow is really android 5.2. Its a refinement of what L should have been. Not much significant was added for most users to experience other than doze really. But in my opinion it is by far the best android yet.

I really like the improved Do Not Disturb, plus the native fingerprint support for phones with the hardware.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

Open the Moto app, tap on the 3 little stars in the upper right, tap on the 3 dots upper right on the 'See what I can do' screen and tap on Settings ... ensure that all 3 items are checked. The versions listed at the bottom for me are:
Moto: Ver 4.0.21
Moto Voice: Ver 8.0.07.1
Moto Display: 3.16-M.12-S22.3-000
Moto Actions: Ver 2.00.07

And my Actions list Approach, Attentive Display, Chop, Lift for Moto Voice and Twist.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

How does one check to see if they have the update?

Settings > About Phone > System Updates. Click on it and it will check. If there is an update available, it will say so. You might need to be connected to WiFi to get it to download. But it should check either way

Posted from my XT1575

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

I got 6.0 a couple of days ago. Also on Verizon and also didn't sign up for anything. It just showed up.

Flashlight double-chop still works for me.

Overall, I don't see anything special with 6.0. I guess the only real big "upgrade" would be the adaptive storage which is a nice feature...but I'm firmly in portable storage camp. I have not liked the direction Google has taken with Android. I see Gingerbread as probably the version I liked the best and have only seen Android trying to become more iOS like since then. Now that I've had the phone for a couple of weeks and 6.0 seems to be working I'll go ahead and root the phone so I can install some Xposed framworks to build the Android that works best for me. Sincerely, Unimpressed with Google.

The beauty of droid. If you do not like it you can change it to your liking. I love the direction Google has taken droid. I really have no need to root or rom anymore.. Droid does everything I need it to now without rooting or romming

Posted via the Android Central App

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

The single biggest feature I'm looking forward to is the app data back-up and restore. I believe it's up to App developers to enable it, but hopefully they will. Hopefully the next phone upgrade will be less painful when migrating.

That's the one time I'm jealous of my family's iOS devices (or my iPad) - when we switch/upgrade devices.

Jordyboy132

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

I have checked that, turned it off and back on, etc. My flashlight seems just to have vanished. It's no longer in my toolbar either.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I have checked that, turned it off and back on, etc. My flashlight seems just to have vanished. It's no longer in my toolbar either.

Try enabling the system UI tuner. It's in stock marshmallow, so I'd assume it's in this release (I don't have 6.0 on my pure yet). Press and hold the settings gear from the drop down menu. It will begin to spin. Hold it for like 15 seconds. A little wrench will appear next to the settings icon. The go into settings, and you should see "System UI Tuner" at the very bottom. That should allow you to modify your quick settings and bring the flashlight back.

Again, this works on stock 6.0, so I'd assume it works with Moto's version too.

Posted via the Android Central App

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site

how are peoples battery life with the update? Does doze work quite well on the MXPE?

I think my battery is about the same. No changes. I don't really see how Doze helps. It only works when the phone is immobile. My phone is either on my belt clip or in my pocket or in hand. So through the day, Doze will never enable. The only time Doze would enable is when the phone is on my desk while I'm asleep. But at this point, the phone is plugged in. So, for me, Doze is pretty useless.

From the AC article about Doze:
For Doze to kick in, your phone needs to be sitting still with the screen off, and not connected to a charger. That means no moving around and nudging the gyro or other motion sensors, no touching the screen or the buttons and no waving your hand around in front of it if you're using a phone like the new phones from Motorola that have motion detection on the front bezel. Set it down, and leave it alone.

Who sets their phone down for extended periods of time? I'm sure some people do, but most have it in their sweaty little hands or in their pockets. The only time people set down their phone for any length of time is while they sleep. And, I believe, most people charge their phone overnight. There are those who don't..so I can see Doze as a benefit for them..but why not just plug it in? Wake up with 100%.

jasimpson89

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site

Well for a lot of the day at work I sit my phone on the desk and don't really look at and often I'll go to meetings (for hours on end) where I don't need my phone so it just sits on my desk. I have pushline set up on my desktop for incoming notifications. Also handy when you leave it in the house on a the side .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21