Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the Moto X Pure Edition (24.11.18)

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the Moto X Pure Edition

When I am at the office my phone usually is just sitting there on my desk, so Doze would kick in for me. But, I find that battery drain now when the phone is sitting idle is extremely minimal anyway, so Doze would not make much more of a difference.

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site

Actually, the more I think about it...Google is pretty devious. Android users the world over clamor for better battery life. So Google announces "Doze" to help improve battery life. There's just one catch...you have to set your phone down and not use it or touch it. Image that. By not using your phone you will improve battery life.

A bit of tongue in cheek as I realize that phones, even when not being used, consume a significant amount of power. And Doze was created to alleviate that issue. But I still find it amusing that in order to take advantage of this feature...you can't touch your phone. Am I the only one who is piqued by this irony?

gjhoddy

May 8, 2012
Visit site

If you leave your car off parked in the garage you will get better gas mileage

Posted via the Android Central App

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I think Moto's sleep function works almost as well as Doze. I have left my MXPE off of the charger a couple of nights and no more than 4% of the battery drained either time.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

Actually, the more I think about it...Google is pretty devious. Android users the world over clamor for better battery life. So Google announces "Doze" to help improve battery life. There's just one catch...you have to set your phone down and not use it or touch it. Image that. By not using your phone you will improve battery life.

A bit of tongue in cheek as I realize that phones, even when not being used, consume a significant amount of power. And Doze was created to alleviate that issue. But I still find it amusing that in order to take advantage of this feature...you can't touch your phone. Am I the only one who is piqued by this irony?

I find it a bigger deal for tablets than phones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Nope. Android devices have had historically bad standby time. Doze addresses that.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

If you leave your car off parked in the garage you will get better gas mileage

No you won't. The car is off so MPG remains the same.

You analogy doesn't work.

It's more like sitting idle in traffic.

The better analogy is

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Well for a lot of the day at work I sit my phone on the desk and don't really look at and often I'll go to meetings (for hours on end) where I don't need my phone so it just sits on my desk. I have pushline set up on my desktop for incoming notifications. Also handy when you leave it in the house on a the side .
The device has to be both immobile and not being used for doze to work. It essentially is trying to clone iOS device's low battery bleed. Still not as good, but better than it was.

Want some funny reading, go back and read posts of people estimating battery life would be twice as good. This is after the huge letdown with Lollipop in the same regard. Funny stuff.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

No you won't. The car is off so MPG remains the same.

You analogy doesn't work.

It's more like sitting idle in traffic.

The better analogy is

The better non-analogy would be for people to stop buying all the hype BS that Android team spills out. They did it with Lollipop and folks bought all the great battery life BS, just as some are with Marshmallow.

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
What is the Timeline for Android M Release for the Moto X Pure Edition?

Does anyone have any news on the release date for this software version? It's been about a week since people have been in the soak test, so maybe another week? I'm getting super anxious for it haha.

patt2kpl

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: What is the Timeline for Android M Release for the Moto X Pure Edition?

if you are rooted why not install custom rom with MM? if not rooted sideload the soak test OTA.

hrbib21

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Supposed to be the week after the soak test so this week or next.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Does anyone have any news on the release date for this software version? It's been about a week since people have been in the soak test, so maybe another week? I'm getting super anxious for it haha.

I can't recall them giving an actual date for any update other than the same day it's officially announced.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

for those with mm, are you able to download the new version of Google Camera?

spwexler

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site

Just got my marshmallow update this afternoon. I was part of the soak test, but Motorola had my IMEI wrong, so just got the update today.

Posted via the Android Central App with my Moto X Pure

Matt Machens

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

Just when I thought I was getting too impatient for MM, now I want 6.0.1. How long after the marshmallow update do you think they'll push the next update?

LongbranchPennywhistle

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site

I think Moto's sleep function works almost as well as Doze. I have left my MXPE off of the charger a couple of nights and no more than 4% of the battery drained either time.
I don't have the marshmallow update yet, but recently, my phone lasted from 10 am to almost 4 am without being used while sitting at 9% most of that time, which was nice in case I happened to need it in a pinch. The standby time I get even without Marshmallow is substantially better than previous phones I've had. I suspect the lack of bloatware helps quite a bit.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

Just when I thought I was getting too impatient for MM, now I want 6.0.1. How long after the marshmallow update do you think they'll push the next update?

Considering it is just Emojis, the December security patch and 2 very minor tweaks (one fore tablets only) I would think pretty quick. There is not much to the update. The security patch might be decoupled from 6.0.1 so Moto can get it out by itself faster but I we'd get it pretty quick.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

Moto hasn't released a single security patch for 5 so I don't know why they'd suddenly be fast with 6