Please confirm whether or not 3G data works on your MXPE and report which carrier you are using. If an MVNO, please report the network affiliation.

I am using Ting on Sprint network and my 3G data does not work.

I described the problem in a thread on this forum titled "Why isn't my 3G data working?" I can't post links yet - too few posts.

I'm working with Ting and Motorola to troubleshoot the problem. I am aware of 3 phones counting mine that do not get 3G data. Trying to ascertain whether this is a fairly isolated problem, if all MXPE phones have the issue, if this is a Sprint issue, or if it is a Ting or other MVNO issue on Sprint.

To summarize: Voice, text, LTE and 1X data all work. 3G data does not work although twice I was able to get it to work for less than 1 minute. It makes no difference if I am in an LTE area or not. SignalCheck Pro mostly reports the 3G data connection as "unregistered" although sometimes it reports it as "inactive". A SIM swap from a Sprint SIM to a Ting SIM made no difference (exact same part number). Various factory resets and carrier wipes also made no difference.

Another symptom is that my phone will not activate unless I have a Wi-Fi connection. Apparently the 3G data connection is needed to properly activate the phone.

Thanks much,

DC
    11-12-2015 02:00 PM
    3G EVDO works with Verizon.
    benjamminh likes this.
    11-12-2015 02:19 PM
    3g on T-Mobile works

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-13-2015 07:36 AM
    I have 3G on Sprint.
    11-13-2015 08:27 PM
    My 3G works on both me and my girlfriend's Moto X Pure's on the RingPlus (Sprint MVNO) Network. Get about the same speed as my mom does on her Sprint 3G, non MVNO straight from Sprint on a Galaxy S5. Best of all, it's free for 1500 texts/minutes/mb of data!

Which SIM do you have? You need simglw446c specifically, I was told this and maybe thats the missing piece of the puzzle? From what I understand ringplus and ting are pretty similar minus one being free and the other not.

The only other thing I can think of mentioning is there is no 4G LTE available in my location so I don't know if that matters?
    11-13-2015 10:11 PM
    3G on AT&T network works.

11-13-2015 11:16 PM
    Sprint, no problems.

11-14-2015 12:01 AM
    Which SIM do you have? You need simglw446c specifically, I was told this and maybe thats the missing piece of the puzzle? From what I understand ringplus and ting are pretty similar minus one being free and the other not.

The only other thing I can think of mentioning is there is no 4G LTE available in my location so I don't know if that matters?
    Tried two different SIM cards, both SIMGLW446C. I've been traveling a lot and it makes no difference if I'm in a 4G LTE area or not, still no 3G. Based on the responses here and at a couple of other forums where I posted the request, it appears that Sprint may not be the problem which leaves my phone or Ting. Ting is trying to identify other MXPE's on their system to determine if anyone else is having problems. If not, I'll have to get Motorola to replace the phone.

Thanks for all the help from everyone.

DC
    11-16-2015 09:49 AM
    Update. Motorola replaced my first MXPE phone but the new phone has the same issue. No 3G data.

Since I sent the first MXPE back, I've acquired an Airave because the Sprint signals at my house are a bit weak. Strange thing is that I do get 3G data when connected to the Airave but nowhere else.

DC
    12-17-2015 02:49 PM
    3g works - I have disabled lte on my phone because where I work at&t is in the stone age lte wise but 3g is great.
    12-17-2015 07:06 PM
    Works for me on Verizon....

Posted via my Mate 7 or my Moto X Pure
    12-17-2015 07:08 PM
    3g works - I have disabled lte on my phone because where I work at&t is in the stone age lte wise but 3g is great.
    Same with HSPA? That'd be a faster middle option if it works. Wish that was available on the Verizon network, but nope...LTE or old fashioned 3G.

12-17-2015 07:11 PM
    The phone app I use for testing reports HSPA+... I'm on at&t.
    12-18-2015 11:10 AM
    ATT MVNO cricket wireless. It will drop to HSPA which I think I'd the same thing as 3g

12-18-2015 11:15 AM
    ATT MVNO cricket wireless. It will drop to HSPA which I think I'd the same thing as 3g

I believe HSPA/H/H+ is faster than 3G. When I had ATT I used to turn off LTE altogether (to save battery life) and just use HSPA. I could stream video just fine on it, whereas with 3G it would often choke depending on the video quality.

12-19-2015 12:04 PM
    I believe HSPA/H/H+ is faster than 3G. When I had ATT I used to turn off LTE altogether (to save battery life) and just use HSPA. I could stream video just fine on it, whereas with 3G it would often choke depending on the video quality.

Thanks for the clarification, never had a phone that got HSPA only 3g, 4g and 2g

12-22-2015 01:44 AM
    fwiw - 3G works in the UK too
    12-22-2015 04:58 AM
    Yes. I'm on Verizon. The signal amplifier, in my home is old and only provides 3G. I'm on it all the time.
    01-04-2016 07:02 PM
    Mine does work 3G Verizon. Rarely do I ever see it though.
    01-04-2016 10:34 PM
    Update. After two Moto X PE phones, numerous factory resets, much research and testing, there is now a work around to this problem. The problem does not appear to impact any phones on the big 4 networks. It only impacts phones on a Sprint MVNO. Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread.

There are now known eHRPD issues with Sprint and their MVNOs. The work around solution is to disable eHRPD. Supposedly, Sprint is working on changes to eHRPD that may resolve the issue permanently. Thanks to Ting for their persistence in helping get to the bottom of this problem.

DC
    01-06-2016 09:16 AM
    Update. After two Moto X PE phones, numerous factory resets, much research and testing, there is now a work around to this problem. The problem does not appear to impact any phones on the big 4 networks. It only impacts phones on a Sprint MVNO. Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread.

There are now known eHRPD issues with Sprint and their MVNOs. The work around solution is to disable eHRPD. Supposedly, Sprint is working on changes to eHRPD that may resolve the issue permanently. Thanks to Ting for their persistence in helping get to the bottom of this problem.

DC
    Locking this one up. Use http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ml#post4935080
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-06-2016 02:25 PM