6.0 Marshmallow: MicroSD card users - will you use adoptable storage?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/KfeLZerX4Ua

Expandable Storage support allows for microSD cards to be used either in a portable storage or an internal storage mode. Portable storage allows your pictures, videos, audio and other media files to be stored. Internal storage allows both media storage along with apps and games but can not be used by other devices.

With Marshmallow announced and currently being rolled out to the Moto X Style, let's talk adoptable storage. When the Moto X Pure Edition gets Marshmallow, we'll have the option to use the SD card as portable or internal (adoptable) storage.

Jerry's got a quick take on adoptable storage here. People with the 16GB model could pop in a 128GB card, set it to adoptable storage, and have a 144GB Moto X.

So folks -

Will you use adoptable storage with your Moto X Pure Edition?

AND

What micro SD card will you use?

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Marshmallow: MicroSD card users - will you use adoptable storage?

Have a couple of 128GB cards that I swap out (one has a bunch of movies only). Phone is 64GB so I will stick with portable storage.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

No. I have a 64 GB device, and I have no use for a card that will only be able to be used on one phone.

I'll just use the card as portable storage for pictures and music like how I've always used microSD cards.

My card is a class 10 Samsung 64 GB.

darknyght00

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

Maybe. I think the necessity of a sim tool to access the card slot limits the convenience of portable memory for my purposes. On the other hand, I run a pretty lean system and have more than enough memory padding for what I do so adoptable would be mostly superfluous as well.

I do have a coworker with an S5 that will greatly appreciate the adoptable storage when (if) he ever gets the updates because games have eaten through his more meager internal storage so it's a very good option to have around. I do hope that manufacturers don't take it as a green light to build more devices with comically low storage though.

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

I plan to use it. I bought a 16GB internal to save $ and put in a high speed 32GB card that I never plan to remove, so it makes sense to "adopt" it.

My only hesitation is that I might eventually want more storage during the life of this phone. I *could* replace the card later but it will require lots of reconfiguring of apps and settings. But that chance is slim so I'm going to take the plunge and give myself 48GB of storage on the cheap.

hrbib21

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I have a 32gb phone and I will be using the adoptable storage for games.

Posted via the Android Central App

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Short answer, yes - absolutely

spwexler

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site

So, if I use the SD card storage as internal, does that mean I can't remove the card and dump the media off to my pc? I currently have a 32gb MXPE and a 16gb sd card, but just ordered a 128gb sd card. I actually have plenty of storage and I'm not a big user of media, but thought I would get the bigger card anyway thinking it would just help the phone run efficiently.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Have a couple of 128GB cards that I swap out (one has a bunch of movies only). Phone is 64GB so I will stick with portable storage.

I purchased the 64GB phone so I wouldn't have internal memory overload. So my 128GB card will remain portable storage.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

So, if I use the SD card storage as internal, does that mean I can't remove the card and dump the media off to my pc? I currently have a 32gb MXPE and a 16gb sd card, but just ordered a 128gb sd card. I actually have plenty of storage and I'm not a big user of media, but thought I would get the bigger card anyway thinking it would just help the phone run efficiently.

It's memory. You should have no problem dumping to your computer.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

If I had a phone like the HTC A9, which maxes out at 32GB + SD card slot, I would use adoptable storage.

But my MXPE is 64GB which should be enough for me, so I'll keep my 64GB microSD card as portable.

I can always adopt a card later on if I get to the point where I'm regularly butting up to the last 5-10 GB free.

vn33

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

My MXPE is 32Gb internal, and am using a 64Gb microSD right now. I plan to continue to use external storage as portable, so I can quickly swap cards of need be.

Am using a Transcend, class 10 memory card.

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

Spwexler is right when he says he can're REMOVE the card and dump the media. It's encrypted and not readable outside of the phone if adopted. If you leave the card in the phone, you should be able to read the card via MTP with the phone decrypting it and copy it off that way.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Nope. Key reason I got the 64gb model. Like media separate.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

When using adoptable storage, this is incorrect.

spwexler

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site

That's what I thought. Can you go into any more detail? Pros and cons....

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

When using adoptable storage, this is incorrect.

Aha! There's the rub! Not even if you leave it in the phone and just plug the phone in your computer? If not, why would you use your SD card as adoptable storage?

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Aha! There's the rub! Not even if you leave it in the phone and just plug the phone in your computer? If not, why would you use your SD card as adoptable storage?

Apps galore...

wwjd777

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site

I'm in the exact same boat with the 16gb phone and a 32gb card. I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade my card to make this future proof or if my 32gb will be enough.

spwexler

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site

So I should be able to plug the phone into my pc via USB cable, find the files on the SD card, and drag and drop to my PC , right? It's probably easier to just keep all my video and pics in Google Drive as I have been doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463