Google Play Music doesn't support internal formatted storage.

youngusaplaya

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
As the title says play music hasn't been updated to support storage formatted as internal when you download and save music, reason I posted here is because I formatted my storage on the Pure. Bummer.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for letting us know.

That's a shame because it seems like it could handle having music store both internally and externally when you use sd card as portable storage. So it actually seems more versatile that way.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
The Google music app doesn't give the option to move to SD card, at least not on Lollipop. Amazon music does however, if you use it. I do use it and have put it on my SD card. It also gives the option to put any new downloaded music straight to the card, so you're not using your phone's internal storage at all.

Posted via the Android Central App

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
The Google music app doesn't give the option to move to SD card, at least not on Lollipop. Amazon music does however, if you use it. I do use it and have put it on my SD card. It also gives the option to put any new downloaded music straight to the card, so you're not using your phone's internal storage at all.

The app itself? I have the Google music app configured to put music on my SD card on lollipop. Never tried to move the app.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
The app itself? I have the Google music app configured to put music on my SD card on lollipop. Never tried to move the app.

Yes, some apps will let you put the app itself on the SD card in Lollipop. Amazon music is one that will let you do that - both the music and the app itself.

The Google music app doesn't give you that option, at least on Lollipop. It only lets you store music on SD.

When you go into settings and then "apps" and open each one there, you will see a button that says "move to SD card." If it is grayed out you can't move that app, but if it is not grayed out and is an active button, you can move that app to your SD card. Once you do the button will change to say "Move to phone" so you have the option to move it back.

One thing to note: I've noticed that after an app update, it will move back onto phone storage and you have to move it back to SD. I don't know why and I would think that will change with Marshmallow.

youngusaplaya

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Marshmallow settings have changed I hope they will update the app to support the new changes, I can stream the music for now but would love to have it downloaded

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech