6.0 Marshmallow: Trying to format card as internal storage, message that card is too slow?

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
After MM update I decided to go for it and format SD card as internal storage. I received a message that my card was too slow and I should consider a better one before I moved apps to it.

I thought I got a high quality card, San Disk Extreme - link below w/ description - so I'm confused. Anyone have advice?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013C...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4881372

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trying to format card as internal storage, message that card is too slow?

Counterfeit cards are unfortunately not uncommon. Run SD Insight to make sure the card is what it says it is.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I got the same warning when I enabled internal storage using a sandisk extreme pro on my One A9. I continued with the process and haven't experienced any problems. SD Insight confirms my card is legit.

MoPhoMan

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

If you check the forums on Motorola.com, this is a known issue. Try posting there for support help.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Counterfeit cards are unfortunately not uncommon. Run SD Insight to make sure the card is what it says it is.

Thanks, didn't know about this app. I installed and used and it said my card was legit.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

If you check the forums on Motorola.com, this is a known issue. Try posting there for support help.

I know my card is legit now, so off to the Moto forums to check this out....thanks! Should have thought of checking there too..

65fastback

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

mine told me same and its a stinking UHS-3 card...I just hit ok to continue.

MotoXr

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

I put all new SD cards into my home PC and format, to scan for any errors and to also verify size.
I usually throw my pics and music on at this time.;)

*Edit- I just got the release for m6.0 and read release notes. Apparently in order to use SD card as internal storage you must encrypt it and this renders that SD card useless on any other device. Yeah, no thanks. Time for a root where I can do what I want while still using the SD card as internal storage.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I put all new SD cards into my home PC and format, to scan for any errors and to also verify size.

*Edit- I just got the release for m6.0 and read release notes. Apparently in order to use SD card as internal storage you must encrypt it and this renders that SD card useless on any other device. Yeah, no thanks. Time for a root where I can do what I want while still using the SD card as internal storage.
I'm not rooting since I don't want to lose Android Pay. I'm only using my card as external storage, not adoptable storage, since I have a 64 GB device.

MotoXr

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

I'm not rooting since I don't want to lose Android Pay. I'm only using my card as external storage, not adoptable storage, since I have a 64 GB device.

Getting a bit off topic but.... SuperSU will allow you to temporarily 'unroot' to add credit cards for the Pay system. But I think having the bootloader unlocked will be an issue for this phone as well. For that, you can utilize BootUnlocker to temporarily lock in addition to SuperSU's temp root. Pain? Yes, but how many cards do you really have? Just some extra info for other readers thinking about rooting. ;)

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue as well with the Sandisk Ultra. Using the Sandisk Extreme didn't get the notification and have had no problems.

n8prkr

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue as well with the Sandisk Ultra. Using the Sandisk Extreme didn't get the notification and have had no problems.

I put a sandisk extreme plus 64gb in and adopted it. Got the slow card warning. Reads at 75mbs and writes at 25mbs per and sd benchmark app. Have had no lag issues.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I don't think you'll want to swap out cards when formatting as internal storage.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What apps are you guys using to Benchmark speeds on your micro SD cards?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma