6.0 Marshmallow: Auto Backup for Apps feature?

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Had a chance to try out the new Auto Backup for Apps feature in MM. TLDR: it's pretty much useless.

After "upgrading" to MM and everything seemed stable I went ahead and unlocked my bootloader so I could root the phone. When unlocking the bootloader, the device is wiped so I thought this would be a good opportunity to try the new app backup feature.

After the wipe...just about everything was gone. What about the new app back up feature? Why didn't it work? Well, basically the app developers need to utilize the Google's new API 23. And the vast majority do not. Out of my hundreds of apps...only 20 are managed backups and most of those apps are ones like Clock, Digital Personalizations, Google App, Google Keyboard, NFC Services, Setup, User Dictionary, etc... The only third party apps that that were backed up were GPS Status and Sudoku Free. Glad those were backed up. All text messages through the stock Messaging app were gone, Phone logs gone, Bluetooth settings gone, etc... All the things that I really wanted backed up were not. When you have 15 Bluetooth devices...it's a real pain having to pair everything over again. Why is Bluetooth, an integral part of Android, not backed up??

If you want to see what is backed up you need to go into Settings in Goggle Drive and look under "Manage backup". Why it's not under "Backup & reset" under the phone settings is a real mystery to me. Not intuitive at all. I only found it after trying to figure out why nothing was backed up. You can read about it here: Where to view your backed-up apps on Android 6.0 Marshmallow - CNET

Yes, eventually app developers will get onboard and this feature will be more useful but right now it's useless and the fact that this feature isn't really fully explained will cause many users undue grief. ARS Technica has good article about the implementation of this feature: Android 6.0 has a great auto backup system that no one is using (yet) | Ars Technica

If you want a real backup solution you need to be rooted so you can use Titanium BackUp which does an excellent job. You can set up schedules, pick what to backup. You can save many, many backups so that when an app is "improved" and breaks functionality you can go back to an older version of the app. It's everything you want in a backup solution.

So, why does Google leave their non-rooted users to flounder with poorly implemented features? Because they are obsessed with streamlining, simplicity and form. They have seemingly forgotten about function. I do bash Google regularly for Android. That's because I really don't like the direction they have taken since Jellybean to become more iOS-like. If I wanted iOS I would buy an iPhone (which is an excellent product if you like simplicity). I wish I didn't have to root my phones to get them to behave the way I want.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Re: MM Auto Backup for Apps feature

I am an avid Android user and I bash Google constantly also. I recently did the same thing, unlocked my bootloader on my N6, wiped my device only to have the Play Store re-download everything. Nothing was restored.. I had to re-sync all my game data from the cloud, all my settings were lost for basically all my apps. My Series app that I fine tuned for all my upcoming tv shows/watched tv shows.. all gone. It's a huge PITA and one of the biggest reasons I've basically given up on ROM'ing my device. I want perpetual history/data to just work.

Not really sure why Google is leaving it up to the developers to determine the backup situation of their apps. Google should just forcefully make a backup of the data regardless if the dev wrote in the correct API access.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Had a chance to try out the new Auto Backup for Apps feature in MM. TLDR: it's pretty much useless.

All text messages through the stock Messaging app were gone

I found a trick for messages. If you send someone a chat message with Google Hangouts and then combine with SMS it will actually back them all up.

I wish I didn't have to root my phones to get them to behave the way I want.

I haven't really had a need to root my devices for a few years now. Why do you root? I can think of some reason I wold use root.

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site

Why do you root? I can think of some reason I wold use root.

1. AdBlocker (always my #1 reason...makes a huge difference in my enjoyment of the online experience)
2. Backup whatever I want and I can make an Nandroid image of my entire system
3. Change stupid "features". I can change just about whatever I want. For instance the boot animation is BRIGHT and white. I changed it to a darker scheme. A lot of the changes are cosmetic changes but many are functional too. Many phones display a warning anytime you headphones plugged in and you go above a certain volume. Do I really need to see that warning every time? No! Not with root. I remove annoyances like that. Want to swap the "triangle" and "square" buttons? Not a problem. Want to use a camera app with manual controls or a different dialer? No problem.
4. Ultimately, it's about being able to control and use a device the way I want instead the way someone else wants. Why settle for one person's interpretation of how Android should work?

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

GPS Status. That's good news. I won't lose my saved waypoints anymore.

Posted via the Android Central App

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

1. AdBlocker (always my #1 reason...makes a huge difference in my enjoyment of the online experience)
2. Backup whatever I want and I can make an Nandroid image of my entire system
3. Change stupid "features". I can change just about whatever I want. For instance the boot animation is BRIGHT and white. I changed it to a darker scheme. A lot of the changes are cosmetic changes but many are functional too. Many phones display a warning anytime you headphones plugged in and you go above a certain volume. Do I really need to see that warning every time? No! Not with root. I remove annoyances like that. Want to swap the "triangle" and "square" buttons? Not a problem. Want to use a camera app with manual controls or a different dialer? No problem.
4. Ultimately, it's about being able to control and use a device the way I want instead the way someone else wants. Why settle for one person's interpretation of how Android should work?

For some reason I never see the headphone warning or if I did I no longer see it.

Cosmetic reasons make sense. Just not compelling enough for me to change. I used to root but do not really do it anymore. I have been tempted as there are some apps I would like to run.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to me sniffs when I unlocked my bootloader. I just turn off the useless backup feature. Turning it off actually improved my standby battery. I then just backup using the respected any app data that allow it like Nova Launcher manually to Google Drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech