6.0 Marshmallow: Doze

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Why not give the user some control over Doze. Explain what it is an what happens when it is active and give the user a chance to decide how it is used.

This is what I want too. I have a lot of apps on my phone and there is no way to control what apps run in the background even when I do not open them. Facebook was so bad I removed it from my phone, I rarely used the app but it was always taking a percentage of my battery. I should be able to control what apps are waking the CPU, Doze is what should allow me to control that option.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I carry my Pure in a chest pocket of my Dickies Bibs *and* have In Pocket Detection turned on ... wonder if that combination prompts more Doze effects? I seem to get pretty flat battery plots during times when the screen is off during the day.

View attachment 209332

Based off that pic, your device is not going into Doze. When Doze activates, you can clearly see it in the "Awake" section. You see all those little blips? that basically means your device isn't going into Doze. When Doze activates you can see it'll mimic the empty spaces that "Screen on" has.

So for your "Screen on" see that huge space above the home button? Above that is Awake and you can see while your screen is off, there are wakelocks that are keeping your device awake. When Doze activates you see very long empty spaces in the "Awake" section and your battery drain during that time is basically flat, not a slight decline, it's flat. It actually looks like from Midnight(that dotted line going down) to about 1am, Doze kicked in, the line is flat and then you turned the device on.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Why not give the user some control over Doze. Explain what it is an what happens when it is active and give the user a chance to decide how it is used.

In time. :) It's a brand new feature that they just rolled out. Google is never one to throw everything out all at once. Devs already sniffed out all the settings and have apps to tweak them (root access needed of course). I would suspect maybe some kind of profile settings might show up at some point.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
In time. :) It's a brand new feature that they just rolled out. Google is never one to throw everything out all at once. Devs already sniffed out all the settings and have apps to tweak them (root access needed of course). I would suspect maybe some kind of profile settings might show up at some point.

I am tempted to root my Moto X Pure for some of these features and some apps I would like to run. I just hate that it voids my warranty.

Matthew Osterlund

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had MM for a couple of days now and I'm not noticing that Doze is working much at all. I have it on my night stand upside down not plugged in and it still drains 8-11% overnight. That's about the same as it was before 6.0. I've check battery optimization and there are 3 services not optimized that can't be changed. DMService, Google Play Services, Motorola Notification. motoxpure. Any suggestions?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I've had MM for a couple of days now and I'm not noticing that Doze is working much at all. I have it on my night stand upside down not plugged in and it still drains 8-11% overnight. That's about the same as it was before 6.0. I've check battery optimization and there are 3 services not optimized that can't be changed. DMService, Google Play Services, Motorola Notification. motoxpure. Any suggestions?

Send a pic of your History Details and we can check. If Doze is working you'll see large gaps in "Awake" and the battery line should be nearly flat.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

To me it sounds like there was an issue before you installed MM. I am only loosing 1%-2% during the night with Lollipop

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've had MM for a couple of days now and I'm not noticing that Doze is working much at all. I have it on my night stand upside down not plugged in and it still drains 8-11% overnight.

Well, there could be something else going on that's messing up the works... it should be a fraction of that. Is there anything keeping your phone awake overnight? Run-away apps?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
With my own medium use, I notice about 15% more battery and more if lighter use. Heavy you use I do not notice much if any. Does seem to be less heat spikes. That is good IMO. :)

So far and to my surprise I have no battery killers lurking. I also disabled a Lot of permissions. 395 apps counting stock that I checked over. Only 5 GB free on my 64gb MXPE.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Do your battery stats tell you what is using battery overnight?

jcassell1

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Doing a factory reset first, will post after a day. This new back-up restore thing is awesome! Takes the work out of factory resetting... the way it should be!

Does the new back up restore feature save all of your music and pics as well or do you have to save those and add back once the factory reset is complete.

Rockler

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
If they are on your SD card,you will lose them if you are going to combine your card with your internal memory because the card gets reformatted.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's one of the many reasons why a custom recovery rules. You can do operations like that and retain the files in /sdcard

I wish Google would implement folder ghosting with Google Drive. You could sync that and never worry.