02-20-2016 11:45 PM
65 123
tools
    Inside Marshmallow: What is Doze, how do I use it and what does it do? | Android Central

Reminder: Doze basically sips power when idle. It will have no affect on mythical SOT statistics.

If you have a desk job, you may want to just leave your phone on your desk rather than in your pocket.
    12-09-2015 12:42 PM
    "Mythical" SOT. I like it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    VoltaicShock likes this.
    12-09-2015 01:12 PM
    And not touch it, since needs to be still and untouched.

BTW, some of the battery life and SOT comments post MM update in some forums like at XDA are pure comedy. Some people like their sugar pills
    dmark44 and sn2hotty like this.
    12-09-2015 02:40 PM

BTW, some of the battery life and SOT comments post MM update in some forums like at XDA are pure comedy. Some people like their sugar pills
    Doze will be a much bigger deal for tablets than for phones. However, if you leave your phone sitting for any extended amount of time, doze is huge improvement over past versions of Android.

Posted via the Android Central App
    kodos and Aquila like this.
    12-09-2015 03:30 PM
    I agree tablet to benefit most,.

I don't see it helping battery much at all for cellphones. People can't just leave their phones alone. They are always checking them for no reason even when they have sound notifications set up and aren't getting notifications..lol
    tonyr6 and the tall guy like this.
    12-09-2015 04:01 PM
    Doze is for people that leave their data/wifi on when they sleep or people that don't use much their phone. Especially in MXPE with all the sensors, I don't believe we will see any benefit in regular use.
    However, apart from that, is there any improvement in battery life with MM? Lollipop was not that good, I had a hope things would improve.
    12-09-2015 05:19 PM
    Doze is for people that leave their data/wifi on when they sleep or people that don't use much their phone. Especially in MXPE with all the sensors, I don't believe we will see any benefit in regular use.
    However, apart from that, is there any improvement in battery life with MM? Lollipop was not that good, I had a hope things would improve.
    So far I see no improvement, but do notice streaming Youtube gets the device real warm now, but pre update it did not. This might suggest less battery life, but way too early to assume anything.
    12-09-2015 05:25 PM

No wonder, marshmallows are basically chewy sugar pills!
    rushmore likes this.
    12-09-2015 07:07 PM
    I usually leave mine sitting on my desk all day as I am at a computer. I will just use my computer to check any notifications I get.
    Dunc likes this.
    12-09-2015 07:18 PM
    I usually leave mine sitting on my desk all day as I am at a computer. I will just use my computer to check any notifications I get.
    This happens for me too, but I have many apps with no computer notifications.
    12-10-2015 03:51 AM
    I think Doze helps a lot , not everyone has their phone in their hand 24/7 . I dont eat dinner with my phone in my hand or go to the crapper with it and at work i'm actually working and not on the phone looking at nothing
    Ry likes this.
    12-10-2015 10:21 AM
    Kinda like the flat parts of the power plot line where the Screen is off, don't you?
    6.0 Marshmallow: Doze-doze.png
    Ry likes this.
    12-10-2015 11:19 AM
    I think Doze helps a lot , not everyone has their phone in their hand 24/7 . I dont eat dinner with my phone in my hand or go to the crapper with it and at work i'm actually working and not on the phone looking at nothing
    Well maybe you should have considered that some people actually need their phone while working, maybe because they need to talk a lot or are always on the move and need to check their e-mails or for various other reasons.
    Thanks for sharing your WC habits though.
    Shimon Mor likes this.
    12-10-2015 04:54 PM
    And for people that carry their phone on their person all day...doze won't help (even if you aren't using the phone). Unless you stand/sit very, very still.
    Loiter and dmark44 like this.
    12-10-2015 05:09 PM
    And for people that carry their phone on their person all day...doze won't help (even if you aren't using the phone). Unless you stand/sit very, very still.
    Such logic shall not deter the potential of sugar pill induced battery life hyperbole

I must admit now MM is noticeably better overall than L, but still not seeing that super great battery life touted.
    Shimon Mor likes this.
    12-10-2015 07:07 PM
    Such logic shall not deter the potential of sugar pill induced battery life hyperbole

I must admit now MM is noticeably better overall than L, but still not seeing that super great battery life touted.
    While I completely agree with your sentiment...I have to say that I have noticed a slight improvement in battery performance. Of course, this is a completely unscientific impression just based on how much battery I have when left when I get home from work. I've been on MM for a little over a week and I get home with, on average, about 5% more battery life than previously. Of course, usage from day to day varies, but I have a pretty good sense of what to expect. And there are many other variables too. But, I can say for sure that battery life did not get worse after the update. I doubt it's due to Doze since I wear my phone on a belt clip and I'm always on the move at work. But something has improved.

Or maybe I just overdosed on sugar pills
    Loiter likes this.
    12-10-2015 07:16 PM
    While I completely agree with your sentiment...I have to say that I have noticed a slight improvement in battery performance. Of course, this is a completely unscientific impression just based on how much battery I have when left when I get home from work. I've been on MM for a little over a week and I get home with, on average, about 5% more battery life than previously. Of course, usage from day to day varies, but I have a pretty good sense of what to expect. And there are many other variables too. But, I can say for sure that battery life did not get worse after the update. I doubt it's due to Doze since I wear my phone on a belt clip and I'm always on the move at work. But something has improved.

Or maybe I just overdosed on sugar pills
    I notice a tad better as well, but not the huge improvement presumed by some folks. Presumptions spurred on by Android team, BTW. None the less, seems the best update since Cupcake.
    12-10-2015 11:30 PM
    Keep in mind that Google's trying to compromise here. They could have had Doze trigger regardless of motion but then a lot of the location reporting aware stuff like Google Now would get handcuffed. They tried to come up with a method that would reduce the impact. And drawing that line at "phone just sitting there on a desk" is a pretty good one. Yes, a lot of people are constantly on the move so Doze may not fire much, but in those situations, Google would have to guess that you would want it to Doze when you might not. Then the conversation would be "Doze sucks, it isn't updating my cards, etc"

Though, if you have root access, there are a few apps out there that allow you to modify the system settings that govern Doze. If you want it to kick in after 5 minutes, no matter what movement there is, you can.
    Shimon Mor likes this.
    12-11-2015 09:23 AM
    Keep in mind that Google's trying to compromise here. They could have had Doze trigger regardless of motion but then a lot of the location reporting aware stuff like Google Now would get handcuffed. They tried to come up with a method that would reduce the impact. And drawing that line at "phone just sitting there on a desk" is a pretty good one. Yes, a lot of people are constantly on the move so Doze may not fire much, but in those situations, Google would have to guess that you would want it to Doze when you might not. Then the conversation would be "Doze sucks, it isn't updating my cards, etc"

Though, if you have root access, there are a few apps out there that allow you to modify the system settings that govern Doze. If you want it to kick in after 5 minutes, no matter what movement there is, you can.
    Why not give the user some control over Doze. Explain what it is an what happens when it is active and give the user a chance to decide how it is used.
    12-11-2015 09:32 AM
    I carry my Pure in a chest pocket of my Dickies Bibs *and* have In Pocket Detection turned on ... wonder if that combination prompts more Doze effects? I seem to get pretty flat battery plots during times when the screen is off during the day.

6.0 Marshmallow: Doze-doze.png
    12-11-2015 09:40 AM
    Why not give the user some control over Doze. Explain what it is an what happens when it is active and give the user a chance to decide how it is used.
    This is what I want too. I have a lot of apps on my phone and there is no way to control what apps run in the background even when I do not open them. Facebook was so bad I removed it from my phone, I rarely used the app but it was always taking a percentage of my battery. I should be able to control what apps are waking the CPU, Doze is what should allow me to control that option.
    12-11-2015 09:49 AM
    I carry my Pure in a chest pocket of my Dickies Bibs *and* have In Pocket Detection turned on ... wonder if that combination prompts more Doze effects? I seem to get pretty flat battery plots during times when the screen is off during the day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doze.png 
Views:	287 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	209332
    Based off that pic, your device is not going into Doze. When Doze activates, you can clearly see it in the "Awake" section. You see all those little blips? that basically means your device isn't going into Doze. When Doze activates you can see it'll mimic the empty spaces that "Screen on" has.

So for your "Screen on" see that huge space above the home button? Above that is Awake and you can see while your screen is off, there are wakelocks that are keeping your device awake. When Doze activates you see very long empty spaces in the "Awake" section and your battery drain during that time is basically flat, not a slight decline, it's flat. It actually looks like from Midnight(that dotted line going down) to about 1am, Doze kicked in, the line is flat and then you turned the device on.
    Tom in Bristol likes this.
    12-11-2015 11:09 AM
    In time. It's a brand new feature that they just rolled out. Google is never one to throw everything out all at once. Devs already sniffed out all the settings and have apps to tweak them (root access needed of course). I would suspect maybe some kind of profile settings might show up at some point.
    12-11-2015 11:10 AM
    In time. It's a brand new feature that they just rolled out. Google is never one to throw everything out all at once. Devs already sniffed out all the settings and have apps to tweak them (root access needed of course). I would suspect maybe some kind of profile settings might show up at some point.
    I am tempted to root my Moto X Pure for some of these features and some apps I would like to run. I just hate that it voids my warranty.
    12-11-2015 12:19 PM
    I've had MM for a couple of days now and I'm not noticing that Doze is working much at all. I have it on my night stand upside down not plugged in and it still drains 8-11% overnight. That's about the same as it was before 6.0. I've check battery optimization and there are 3 services not optimized that can't be changed. DMService, Google Play Services, Motorola Notification. motoxpure. Any suggestions?
    12-11-2015 12:29 PM
65 123