6.0 Marshmallow: Doze

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
And not touch it, since needs to be still and untouched.

BTW, some of the battery life and SOT comments post MM update in some forums like at XDA are pure comedy. Some people like their sugar pills ;)

Last edited:

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

BTW, some of the battery life and SOT comments post MM update in some forums like at XDA are pure comedy. Some people like their sugar pills ;)

Doze will be a much bigger deal for tablets than for phones. However, if you leave your phone sitting for any extended amount of time, doze is huge improvement over past versions of Android.

Posted via the Android Central App

MotoXr

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I agree tablet to benefit most,.

I don't see it helping battery much at all for cellphones. People can't just leave their phones alone. They are always checking them for no reason even when they have sound notifications set up and aren't getting notifications..lol

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Doze is for people that leave their data/wifi on when they sleep or people that don't use much their phone. Especially in MXPE with all the sensors, I don't believe we will see any benefit in regular use.
However, apart from that, is there any improvement in battery life with MM? Lollipop was not that good, I had a hope things would improve.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Doze is for people that leave their data/wifi on when they sleep or people that don't use much their phone. Especially in MXPE with all the sensors, I don't believe we will see any benefit in regular use.
However, apart from that, is there any improvement in battery life with MM? Lollipop was not that good, I had a hope things would improve.

So far I see no improvement, but do notice streaming Youtube gets the device real warm now, but pre update it did not. This might suggest less battery life, but way too early to assume anything.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

No wonder, marshmallows are basically chewy sugar pills!

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

I usually leave mine sitting on my desk all day as I am at a computer. I will just use my computer to check any notifications I get.

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I think Doze helps a lot , not everyone has their phone in their hand 24/7 . I dont eat dinner with my phone in my hand or go to the crapper with it and at work i'm actually working and not on the phone looking at nothing

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I think Doze helps a lot , not everyone has their phone in their hand 24/7 . I dont eat dinner with my phone in my hand or go to the crapper with it and at work i'm actually working and not on the phone looking at nothing

Well maybe you should have considered that some people actually need their phone while working, maybe because they need to talk a lot or are always on the move and need to check their e-mails or for various other reasons.
Thanks for sharing your WC habits though.

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site
And for people that carry their phone on their person all day...doze won't help (even if you aren't using the phone). Unless you stand/sit very, very still.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
And for people that carry their phone on their person all day...doze won't help (even if you aren't using the phone). Unless you stand/sit very, very still.
Such logic shall not deter the potential of sugar pill induced battery life hyperbole :)

I must admit now MM is noticeably better overall than L, but still not seeing that super great battery life touted.

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Such logic shall not deter the potential of sugar pill induced battery life hyperbole :)

I must admit now MM is noticeably better overall than L, but still not seeing that super great battery life touted.

While I completely agree with your sentiment...I have to say that I have noticed a slight improvement in battery performance. Of course, this is a completely unscientific impression just based on how much battery I have when left when I get home from work. I've been on MM for a little over a week and I get home with, on average, about 5% more battery life than previously. Of course, usage from day to day varies, but I have a pretty good sense of what to expect. And there are many other variables too. But, I can say for sure that battery life did not get worse after the update. I doubt it's due to Doze since I wear my phone on a belt clip and I'm always on the move at work. But something has improved.

Or maybe I just overdosed on sugar pills ;)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
While I completely agree with your sentiment...I have to say that I have noticed a slight improvement in battery performance. Of course, this is a completely unscientific impression just based on how much battery I have when left when I get home from work. I've been on MM for a little over a week and I get home with, on average, about 5% more battery life than previously. Of course, usage from day to day varies, but I have a pretty good sense of what to expect. And there are many other variables too. But, I can say for sure that battery life did not get worse after the update. I doubt it's due to Doze since I wear my phone on a belt clip and I'm always on the move at work. But something has improved.

Or maybe I just overdosed on sugar pills ;)
I notice a tad better as well, but not the huge improvement presumed by some folks. Presumptions spurred on by Android team, BTW. None the less, seems the best update since Cupcake.

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that Google's trying to compromise here. They could have had Doze trigger regardless of motion but then a lot of the location reporting aware stuff like Google Now would get handcuffed. They tried to come up with a method that would reduce the impact. And drawing that line at "phone just sitting there on a desk" is a pretty good one. Yes, a lot of people are constantly on the move so Doze may not fire much, but in those situations, Google would have to guess that you would want it to Doze when you might not. Then the conversation would be "Doze sucks, it isn't updating my cards, etc"

Though, if you have root access, there are a few apps out there that allow you to modify the system settings that govern Doze. If you want it to kick in after 5 minutes, no matter what movement there is, you can.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Keep in mind that Google's trying to compromise here. They could have had Doze trigger regardless of motion but then a lot of the location reporting aware stuff like Google Now would get handcuffed. They tried to come up with a method that would reduce the impact. And drawing that line at "phone just sitting there on a desk" is a pretty good one. Yes, a lot of people are constantly on the move so Doze may not fire much, but in those situations, Google would have to guess that you would want it to Doze when you might not. Then the conversation would be "Doze sucks, it isn't updating my cards, etc"

Though, if you have root access, there are a few apps out there that allow you to modify the system settings that govern Doze. If you want it to kick in after 5 minutes, no matter what movement there is, you can.

Why not give the user some control over Doze. Explain what it is an what happens when it is active and give the user a chance to decide how it is used.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I carry my Pure in a chest pocket of my Dickies Bibs *and* have In Pocket Detection turned on ... wonder if that combination prompts more Doze effects? I seem to get pretty flat battery plots during times when the screen is off during the day.

Doze.png

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85