6.0 Marshmallow: Sound Settings, Accessing the Equalizer

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
One of the reasons the speakers sounded good was the global settings for sound environments and EQ for headphone jack and speakers. Makes no sense for an update that makes the sound less on this device. PowerAmp has EQ settings, but this does not help other apps or videos. Not having the global settings is a negative.

I wonder if this is a firmware break or intentional.

Update:

The settings for some reason are now located in the Play Music app. It is the same settings and appears to still be global. If it were linked to the Play Music app, I should not be able to mess with settings when the Play Music app is disabled, but I can. I created a shortcut to the Audio Effects with QuickShortcut (handy app!).

Audio Effects are accessible with the QuickShortcut app, so no need for the Play Music app.

Last edited:

nibunnoichi

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Audio Effects after 6.0 update: limited to Google Play Music only?

After receiving the OTA, I notified that "Audio Effects" is no longer found under Settings → Sound & Notifications. But it can be found under Google Play Music's settings.

The problem is that it seems the equalizer presets only affect songs played from Google Play Music. There is no effect on 3rd party music apps. I tested with Youtube videos, GoneMad music player, Smart Audiobook player, and few other things. Changing Audio Effects presets doesn't make any difference in these apps.

Can you guys confirm this?

For people who have not updated to 6.0 Marshmallow, can you also do this test to see if Audio Effects globally affects all sound apps?

LongbranchPennywhistle

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Audio Effects after 6.0 update: limited to Google Play Music only?

The only apps I can confirm that it works in are Play music and Spotify.

It would seem, for me at least, that it is universal as long as the app has equalizer settings like Spotify in the settings. I'm not sure about the Youtube app.

Edu Camargo

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
Hey, new member here. Greetings from Brazil. hope we can share lots of ideas in here.

I can confirm what you've posted. Google Play Music and Spotify uses the system's equalizer and points to whatever equalizer front end you have installed / active, in this case, the built-in audio effects. GoneMAD has its own sound engine and, consequently, its own equalizer. Through its settings the GoneMAD's equalizer can be disabled so it can use the Android's equalizer instead. But I notice that this can cause some pops or clicks during playback, so it is best to let GoneMAD use its own sound engine. By the way, GoneMAD is my favorit music app on Android.

Best regards,

Edu.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Yep, the system EQ is worthless unless using Google apps. User unfriendly system change. It used to work great with all apps.

dennis garber

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Yep, the system EQ is worthless unless using Google apps. User unfriendly system change. It used to work great with all apps.

They really screwed up on this one. . What do you expect?

Audio effects barely alters the sound when it works. Doesn't work with many apps. Disabling doesn't help get my favorite third party equalizer to to work.

If the app doesn't have a built in eq and clarifier, in Marshmallow, it sounds inferior to older android versions.

I say what do you expect because every version of Android breaks more things, removes more features. . Cell toggle, captive portal logins, etc. . You learn to live with out and try to get distracted with new shiny features, which will one day be dropped, then, perhaps, be readded as an enticement to another expensive upgrade. . Gates would be proud.

They are trying to herd us to Google products. As in this issue. And they don't care if they break third party apps. . Not their money.

Deependra Tomar

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
The equalizer settings are actually the system equalizer settings but there is no options to change those if the 3rd party app doesn't support system equalizer. Like I use musixMatch app for music and it has inbuilt equalizer but you can also change to system equalizer from settings and it works as supposed. Don't know about other 3rd party music players.
Google Play music supports only sytem equalizer and hence you don't see any different equalizer in that app.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Bit by bit I'm getting more disgusted with Google's newer operating systems as I use them. They're breaking more features than they're fixing, and making each new OS more frustrating to use 😬 I have 3 and a half years of warranty left on my MXPE (which is an awesome phone except for crapmallow) so I'll be keeping it that long. My credit card doubled the warranty 😁
Depending how well I like nougat, this may or may not be my last Android phone. Personally I'm kinda sick of Google 👎💩

psiufoxx

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
One of the reasons the speakers sounded good was the global settings for sound environments and EQ for headphone jack and speakers. Makes no sense for an update that makes the sound less on this device. PowerAmp has EQ settings, but this does not help other apps or videos. Not having the global settings is a negative.

I wonder if this is a firmware break or intentional.

Update:

The settings for some reason are now located in the Play Music app. It is the same settings and appears to still be global. If it were linked to the Play Music app, I should not be able to mess with settings when the Play Music app is disabled, but I can. I created a shortcut to the Audio Effects with QuickShortcut (handy app!).

Audio Effects are accessible with the QuickShortcut app, so no need for the Play Music app.

Check out the app simply named "Equalizer" by Smart Android Apps, LLC. It absolutely amps the sound on this phone, even on non-rooted devices. Enjoy!

brian fink1

Aug 9, 2017
Visit site
If your using headphones, buy a pair of nice ones a have master and dynamic mw60s, you won't need power amp or any equaliser to get great sound quality, the droid Moto z force is ready to rock with great equipment just like my stereo set up using Polk audio, if you are lacking in the sound department look at your sound output not what is putting it out, I live Poweramp but don't need it, have way to great of sound systems for an equaliser. Trust me