Moto Active Display.. How exactly does it work?

AKS4

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Hey All, I'm contemplating making a move from iOS to Android here int he near future, and based on what I have read I think I have decided to stick with as stock as possible OEM's (Motorola/Nexus devices)

One thing that intriques me about the Motorola's is the Active Display, now apparently called moto display. It looks as thought it acts somewhat similar to yet better than the lock screen notification of iOS. I however haven't been able to find any videos that truely demonstrate its funcionality and whether or not I need a lock on the phone to allow it to work. Can someone shed some light on that and/or link a video they know of? Unfortunately all my friends currently running Android are on Samsungs.

Secondly to this question, how does it differ from Marshmallow's Ambient display feature?

TIA

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I'll try to explain it. It's easier seen than being read though. For me it's hands down the best thing in MXPE.

Your phone is idle, you get a notification. Screen turns on, but only with most of the screen being black and the notification icon showing.
You can touch the notification icon and take a look at its preview (depending on your privacy settings). Exhibit A:
active-display-moto-x.gif

It can have up to three notifications and then some more.
If you are interested (for example, it's an email you want to read or you want to reply to a message) you just swipe up to open the app and you go straight at it. You can also swipe down to just unlock the phone, or swipe right to dismiss the notifications (this is subject to change in MM I believe) It's clearly better than the regular Android notification system.

Moreover, the best part is you can set the detectors of the phone, so you can just wave your hand over the phone and it will brighten up showing you all the notification icons (and the time). Or if you find this an overkill, you can just set it to turn it on when you pick the phone up or move it a bit. So you can check what types of notifications you have without touching the phone or by just moving it a bit. And the "Glimpse" preview is really cool, I use it all the time.

AKS4

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the quick responses. I will admit that viewing it in person is better than trying to understand it in text form.

Thanks for the links, while it is old and discusses it as a benefit to the older AOMLED screen, I assume it works similarly with the Quad LCD of the MXPE?

Also, is it's operation dependent on whether you have a security code to access the phone? Or does it function the same whether or not you lock the phone?

You mention it may go away in MM, I have read some threads that MM gets rid of moto assist, but nothing about moto display. Has anyone yet confirmed if it goes by the wayside with the new update?

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick responses. I will admit that viewing it in person is better than trying to understand it in text form.

Thanks for the links, while it is old and discusses it as a benefit to the older AOMLED screen, I assume it works similarly with the Quad LCD of the MXPE?

Also, is it's operation dependent on whether you have a security code to access the phone? Or does it function the same whether or not you lock the phone?

You mention it may go away in MM, I have read some threads that MM gets rid of moto assist, but nothing about moto display. Has anyone yet confirmed if it goes by the wayside with the new update?

There was a big discussion that with AMOLEDs it looks better (due to the different blacks and the fact that in total darkness you can see some light in the LCD black) and saves more battery (because in AMOLED a few pixels turn on) but it works just the same.

No, it won't go away in MM, just change a bit. I read that the direction of swiping for unlocking will change, but as I haven't got MM yet don't take my words for granted. Even if it does though it will be just a minor change (swiping right instead of down or something like that).

Security-wise I cannot really answer because I don't use a pin or a pattern.

As I said, for me it's one of the best Moto X features, if not the best.

AKS4

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I can see how the AMOLED would look better, simply because the way the screen operates vs how an LCD operates. (Only those pixels needed on, vs "all" pixels on due to the backlight being on)

Good to hear it wont go away in MM and isn't affected by not having a PIN, as I don't currently lock my phone.

mwmmikey

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a MXPE currently but I do have a 2013 Droid Maxx.

Moto display with a pin lock requires an extra step upon action.
For example...
The display breaths a notification, you tap and hold for the preview, then swype to either unlock or go directly to whatever notification it was and you'll be asked to enter the pattern or pin.

Worth noting; you can change the settings so Moto display doesn't show detailed previews while using a lock... Just the apps icon.

Using a lock severely nerfs touchless control by requiring touch input for most features.

Cheers!

Posted via Android Central App